Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Finding a battery drain
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:47 pm 

300zx runs great, love it, but if I don't drive it for a week the battery goes dead. It is a good battery, so I disabled the security by pulling of fuse that turns off the blinking security light, and I believe the rear hatchback door sensor doesn't work, so I pulled that fuse as well. That seems to slow it down a bit, but I will need to fix those things eventually. Any tips? The hatchback door sensor is a single wire and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I ground it or not... --Kent

1989 300 ZX

Last edited by compx2 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:49 pm 

OK, I'm really confused.
The only 380zx I know of is a lawn tractor made by Poulan.

Did Nissan sneak something past me while I was asleep? (AGAIN?)

Frank T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:08 pm 

Dunno Frank maybe he has fat finger syndrome or spell check gone wild . . . . :?

Maybe he has a prototype of some sort . . . . . :shock:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:39 pm 

I get Pickle Fingers all the time. Easy to hit the wrong key, especially when I'm tired. Some guyz can pound out flawless messages on their blackberry or smartphone, but I wouldn't even attempt it.

I'm sure he meant 280zx?

Hey Comp, what year is your ZX?

Frank T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:05 am 

You guys are fast . I wasn't expecting much reading on my particular problem of interest for a few days, and I had trouble signing in. When I registered I got nothing, then when a helpful user gave me a link to a different screen it said I was registered. So I asked for a new password, took two days.

So imagine my surprise when people are actually reading about my issue the same day I posted it. I am very pleased.

I edited the original message, which will confuse later readers, and even put the particulars in the title of this reply. And THANKS FOR BEING HERE.

Now lets see if we can find my battery drain on my beautiful 1989 300ZX white ( but not a turbo).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:10 am 

Take the Neg wire off battery and run inline a test light. Make sure everything is OFF. Shut doors and if it has a hood light unplug it. Pull fuses until light goes out.....that at least tells you what circuit, now from there we can find the culprit. Also batteries can drain down if not good. make sure battery is good. Also lets not forget the diode pack in the alternator. Unplug Alternator and if it doesn't kill the battery over time,you need a new alternator.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:45 am 

Hi Comp, and welcome!

We're almost always here. This is a Club website, not just an internet forum. We are an active Z Club and have eyeball-meetings every month and get-togethers even more often than that. There are over 400 of us and 'most of us know most of us'. We know each other by name, face and car, and our Club grows larger almost daily. It's a fun thing.

Paul's a certified Master Mechanic and loves the Z cars. I'd listen to what he said.

Keep us posted with your progress? We all learn from these Tech Tip problems.
Thanks!

Frank T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:49 am 

Thanks, Paul, that is pretty much what I did. There is a drain to the Security light which flashes, pulled that fuse, and to the door open tail gate sensor, which I pulled. There is still a drain but much less. I will check out your tip about the Alternator, I didn't know that. Thanks. -- Kent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:06 am 

Kent ~

Diodes replaced the old regulators. The purpose of the regulator was to break the circuit btwn the battery and the generator when the car wasn't running, thereby preventing the battery from discharging itself to death.

The regulator was a simple little electromagnetic switch in a small black box. When the engine ran, the coil energiZed and pulled the spring-loaded contact points closed, completing the circuit so the generator could charge the battery. When the engine stopped, the electromagnet released the spring-loaded contact points and they opened, isolating the battery from the generator. OtherwiZe, the battery would have been able to discharge itself back thru the generator.

Alternators replaced generators and they had a self-contained diode pack inside which replaced the regulator. That coined the term, "Self-regulating" or "Internally-regulated" alternators. Diodes only allow current to flow in one direction, which normally would prevent your battery from discharging back thru the alternator. But all electrical parts have a lifespan, and if one of your diodes has deteriorated, it could be allowing your battery to trickle back thru the alternator to ground. If you run the car everyday, you might be able to recharge the battery faster than it can trickle itself to death. But that's a battle you will eventually lose.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:19 pm 

Thanks again Frank T. Monday I will check the drain as Paul described and if there is drain through the alternator circuit I will replace the alternator. They are still available. Let's hope that takes care of the remaining drain. Makes sense that it could.

That still leaves me with two circuits draining, the hatchback sensor and the blinking security light.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:55 pm 

And your dash clock.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:43 pm 

Frank T wrote:
And your dash clock.

If it still works . . . . . :mrgreen:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:09 am 

Paul, beat me to it. The inline bulb is exactly how I located my battery drain a few years ago in my 280zxt. Ended up being the solenoid that controlled my electric fan..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:33 am 

So, how exactly did you do that, Phil? Can you disconnect Ground at the battery, sit at the fuse box and touch B+ positive voltage, and then systematically touch all the other terminals until the lamp lights, or did you have to dive under the hood and touch every terminal in the engine bay?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:36 pm 

Please enlighten me, too. I don't understand what you mean by an "inline Bulb". Would you please take me thru it in "car electronics for dummies" mode. Thank-you!

CT plate PHILSZ