Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Headlight upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:24 am 

So I finally got the wire harness in for the new H4 headlights and I am very impressed with the results. The harness I got from MSA, something I did not want to go cheap on. It was so easy hooking that harness up....I did it without the instructions.........that I lost anyway. As far as the parking light harness, well, looks a little more complicated, so I will wait until I am sure about this harness hook up. I am now confident to drive at night. :thumbs_up: So that means more shows and events. :thumbs_up: Z ya Wedsday. btw, the Z has a new look as well. 8) I'll keep the suspense until then. :shock:

Post subject: Re: Headlight upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 am 

My MSA harness came in 3 sections and yes, the one which ran across the front (for parking lamps) was the most complicated. It all went on in my driveway in less than an hour, anyway.

It diverts all the current which USED to run thru the MultiSwitch headlamp connector, thru two big fat circuit breakers on the wheel well instead. It worked perfectly for a few months. Now it takes awhile for the headlamps to come on when I turn the switch. I can't zig with my lights anymore. But the hi-output headlamps make night driving an actual fun experience, and in the dark country backroads it's like having aircraft landing lights out in front of you.

Hope you changed out the old fusebox for a bayonet/blade type too?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:00 am 

Yea the Headlight part took 15 minutes, but I think I just have to get plug adapters for my parking lights....or just make my own. I'll get to the fuse box another day. All works good. No delay when I turn on lights.......maybe you have a minor issue. Are the contacts good on the actual headlight switch?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:10 am 

Probably not. The '70 MultiSwitch is pretty unique, so it can't be swapped out for any other year switch.
I had a Sep/71 switch sent off to New Yawk to be rebuilt. It came back OUTSTANDING, looking much better than factory-new, but it wouldn't work in my car. It's laying around collecting dust now.

Just as Bryan Little and Vinny Bedini did for me, I urge you to swap out your old glass fusebox for a new MSA bayonet unit ASAP. I upgraded my alternator and installed the MSA wiring looms and put in upgraded headlamps which gave GREAT night visibility, but it melted my fusebox. If I hadn't had an $8 battery quick-disconnect installed, my Z might have burned to the waterline and sank. It filled my cabin with smoke and spoiled my entire mood. Happily it happened less than a mile from my home in a well lit area with a big parking lot to duck into, but I had just put 30 hi-speed miles on the car over dark desolate 2-lane country backroads where I didn't even know where I was. I couldn't even have called for help.

It all turned out well, but it could have gone very very wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:42 am 

Well I don't have time for that now, should I bring my fire extinguisher? I am in the process of selling all 3 of my 70 switches to guy who rebuilds them. Yea, different breed I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:21 am 

Frank T wrote:
I urge you to swap out your old glass fusebox for a new MSA bayonet unit ASAP.

I just got a new one on ebay for 165 with free shipping compared to 199 plus shipping from MSA.
I don't want to take any chances if I'm going to be driving it more.
I hope it's worth it.

Last edited by SurferD on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:51 am 

['I hope it's worth it.'] HA! Having a better fusebox when your electrical circuit tries to burn your car is like having a gun when you meet a bear ~ it's priceless.

I don't honestly recall what I paid for mine, but if it had been a lot it would have stood out in my memory. Probably the cheapest $250 insurance policy I'll ever buy.

I also highly recommend one of those cheap battery disconnect switches. They mount right on the Neg or Pos terminal and can be unscrewed in seconds, instantly disconnecting the power from a smoking electrical system. The Z is designed with the positive terminal dangerously close to the passenger fender sheet metal and if it touches (as in a crash or something falling and pushing the fender into the battery), that simple little switch on the Neg terminal could save you. They come in two sizes, one for Neg or a larger one for Pos. Make sure you get the size you want. Either side will disconnect power.

It also *could* save your Z from car thieves. Our member SCHLOBERKNOCKER's 240 got broken into and driven away from a railway parkinglot. If he had used one of those battery disconnects and taken the contact wheel with him, the thief would have had no way to start the car.

Hey, for $8?? You could spend more than that on a good beer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:18 am 

You're right Frank. It's great insurance plus upgrading to semi-modern tech.
I'm definitely getting a battery disconnect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:41 am 

For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about, here's a pic of a battery quick-disconnect switch mounted on a battery. Beneath the green wheel the junction is in two parts. The wheel is a screw which holds the terminal together. Unscrewing it lets the battery cable fall away from the terminal, interrupting the power. If you take the wheel with you, it would be hard to make the cable stay on the terminal. I suppose you could tape it, but it takes longer and would probably fall off, making car thieves not take the risk.

Attachments:
battery quick disconnect switch.jpg
battery quick disconnect switch.jpg [ 61.64 KiB | Viewed 9818 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:24 pm 

Beatz taking rhe coil wire w/ ya...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:03 pm 

Yeah, because that's easily defeated by any 16 y/o with high intent.

My parents got angry w/me over something I did wrong (oh, take your pick) and withdrew their permission to let me take my car (MY car!) to the Watkins Glen SCCA races one weekend. They got so clever they took the coil wire.

Figuring they couldn't actually kill me, and that any other punishment wouldn't be as bad as missing the races, my buddy John and I silently pushed my 1954 Chevy far enough down the road so they wouldn't hear it start at 0530. When it wouldn't start I looked at the engine and instantly saw the coil/distributor wire was missing.

Just as instantly, I pulled the shortest spark plug wire off the engine and stuck it onto where the coil wire should have been. The Chevy started instantly, missing on #1 cylinder.

I drove to the closest gas station and raided the trash bin behind it for the best looking discarded spark plug / coil wires they had thrown away. Had a great day at the races and got killed when I returned home that night.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:36 pm 

Great story
Parents think they have the upper hand but it's a constant batle.
I did the same thing to a high school friend who insisted on driving after having WAAAAY to many. Only I just took all the wires. He had a 63 Impala.
He couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start.
Being a gearhead when your friends aren't has its advantages.
BTW I already had a battery disconnect on my Z, I just never realized it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:54 pm 

HA, you're right!!!
There it is, big as life. Never even noticed it.

Attachments:
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 9788 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:25 pm 

Yup there it is.