Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:43 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:25 pm 

An update on the sticky front caliper. Turns out the brake line was not the problem. After a about three days since replacing the line the problem came back. I went to a local shop to get the brake fluid flushed. Told them what was happening and the head mechanic there said that the problem was the caliper itself and that I would be wasting money flushing the lines. That it needed to be rebuilt. So I looked at getting a new caliper when I started thinking how could it be the caliper when it worked just fine for a few days after I changed the brake line. I realized that when I changed the line I put new fluid in to bleed that one line. New fluid in that line and the car problem is gone. A few days later the old fluid mixes with the new fluid and it is back to crappy fluid which in turn makes the front caliper piston stick again. Went back to the local shop, told them that it couldn't be the caliper and all we need to do is flush the lines and put in new fluid. Took them a while to get it all out but they did and the car has run fine ever since. Just took a few kicks to the head for me to figure out the obvious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:35 pm 

:thumbs_up: Flushing brake fluid should be done once in awhile so problems don't occur. Clear fluid Is a clear conscious. First thing I do when I get a new car......well old new car. Glad this worked out. :wink: still, in the future might want some new rubber in the system, rebuild kits are not much. Fluid turns black because old moist fluid is like acid that eats the rubber......which is black. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40 pm 

The funny thing is, the fluid wasn't black as much as it was just a murky light tan color. Since it wasn't black I never thought much of it. The guy at the shop did a ph (?) like test with it and said it was barely brake fluid anymore. The only reason it registered on the stick was because of the new fluid I put in it to bleed the one line.