Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:30 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: S30 Radiator Repair or?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:12 am 

Discovered the core of my radiator (I recall many yrs ago replacing the 2-row with a 3-row) has a leak. Radiator is now at a local radiator repair shop being tested/evaluated. Questions......

1. Is it possible to replace the entire coil/fin section?
2. Would I be better purchasing an entire new radiator?
3. I looked at radiators on Motorsports Auto website. They have both OEM 3-row & aluminum 2 & 3-row. Alum radiators have ports for hook-up of auto transmission cooling lines. They claim alum 2-core provides better cooling performance due to larger tubes, etc. So if I go alum 2 or 3-row?
4. I'm sorta of on the fence as to maintaining the stock appearance w/ respect to radiator if performance is better. My Z ('72, manual transmission) is stock with the exception of 15" wheels & upgraded frt & rear swaybars.

Would appreciate any advice & BTDTs on this issue. Also any other sources other than MSA I should consider. Time is not that much of a factor since Z is in final stages of restoration completion. I'm in SW Ohio.

In advance...Thanks & Merry Christmas to all!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:32 am 

If the tanks are still good, consider having it re-cored to a 3-row. You'll meet your objectives of original appearance (and fit) and gain the additional cooling benefit. I had this done years ago and am still using that rad.

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:17 pm 

The 240Z originally came fitted with a 2-row aluminum core which gave up the ghost about 10 years into my ownership of it. Unfortunately, it happened on the highway on the first day of my long-planned vacation one hot summer. Fortunately, I pulled off the highway and coasted to a stop in the parking lot of a radiator repair shop. :shock:

The guy installed a 4-core COPPER radiator into the same tank frame my 2-core aluminum unit had fit. He sprayed it black and I was unable to tell the difference even tho I had lived with the car for a decade.

The combination of copper and two additional core rows resulted in a super-cool engine temperature under every condition. Installed about 1980, this same radiator has NEVER allowed my car to overheat since then and when I had it rebuilt as part of my restoration 4 yrs ago, it was reported in grand shape and hardly needed any attention.

I suspect I might have added a few pounds to the car with the weight difference of copper vs aluminum and 4 rows of coolant vs 2 rows, but certainly not as much as the peace of mind weighed.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:39 am 

Go with 3 row.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:01 pm 

I am interested in hearing more about this subject too, as I am just about to pull the trigger on MSA's stock appearing 3-row, or their alum 3-row. Curious on thoughts on either one of these:

Looks like the stock radiator, but 3-row:
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/ ... 5d/16-7001

Cheaper and lighter, and obviously no-so-stock looking:
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/ ... 5e/16-6965

Any experience with either's performance is humbly appreciated.

Cheers,
Colin

1970 Datsun 240z #11137

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:49 pm 

Colin,

Here's latest and direction I'm headed. Took my 3-core radiator to a highly respected local radiator shop. Proprietor has been in business for 44 years & really knows his stuff. He ran some calculations comparing my current 3-core capacity to a new style 2-core (larger tubes w/ more cooling fins per sq. inch). Turns out with new style 2-core my cooling capacity will be increased by 18% over current 3-core. Core is on order for OEM radiator to be "re-built". I decided against replacement OEM or alum radiators since they all apparently have ports for hook-up of automatic transmission lines & I didn't want that (my Z is a 4-speed).

HTH,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:05 am 

Yea, a newer 2 row might be better, but can you just picture the 3 row. Having a nice original copper one would be nice, but also, the scrap yard will give you good money for it. I don't know were you are going with this either....original or just working, or modified. I had a large 280zx radiator before my newer 3 row that actually fits. It's night and day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 am 

Currently running a 280zx radiator (that I got from Paul) plumbed to an '83 L28 in my '71. Added a shroud and no overheat probs since. Inexpensive as well!

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:22 pm 

Yea, I think mine got to clogged to flush anymore.