Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Back on the road. Diffy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:10 am 

Well this week I finally got to working on the Z. I had to finish the fence up the yard first, that's how it goes. By Tuesday I had everything out of the rear of car but the gas tank. So by Wed. everything is cleaned and painted. Finished last night about 8. So with exhaust just hanging a little, it was easier pulling diffy with drive shaft, but installed separately driveshaft first. Removing/installing the suspension all as one is easier as well. That's the control arm, strut assembly, driveshaft, brake caliper and rotor. Using the jack it balances perfectly. About 15 minutes a side easy. Another Plus for having CV shafts. The only hard part is the driveshaft bolts, and maybe aligning bolts for the front cross member to diff. Car is just on jack stands in rear, so make it a little tight. Other than that, not bad, and using my brake fluid in a "sealed' jar method, I had the brakes bleed in 10 minutes. DONE. Also while doing this job I did an upgrade to my suspension, for reason being, tires on severe bumps would hit wheel wells. exhaust would also hit. (my fault for upgrading, I know) So without cutting or rolling fenders, I did a little adjustment, that I will leave as a secret. Still have to test drive and see. I was too much into my work to take pics., but I guess imagination can work. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:22 am 

["I did a little adjustment, that I will leave as a secret"]. :evil: No fair. How are we supposed to learn from you if you keep it a secret? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:54 am 

Maybe after your test drive and everything goes good you will share your secret?

I'll be out in the garage today getting my car back together. If your driving around randomly maybe you can stop by. If you take the Beacon Ave exit in Jamestown, go through the stop sign and then my house is the 1st on the left.

Post subject: Suspension
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:25 pm 

Paul, what brakes, schocks, springs, header, and exhaust did you use ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:47 pm 

Paul, are you going to the Fort Adams car show next Sunday? You were the one that told me about it last year and I went. It's a big show! We only had 2 classic Z's there last year. There was a lot of other cool cars though. I'll be there. I hope you can make it. I ended up with 3rd place in one of the modified classes. That was a surprise. I can't remember his name, but the guy from Norton, MA with the black 280z with LT1 and side pipes won the ultra modified class. We parked in the old fort last year. That was cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:47 pm 

Paul, are you going to the Fort Adams car show next Sunday? You were the one that told me about it last year and I went. It's a big show! We only had 2 classic Z's there last year. There was a lot of other cool cars though. I'll be there. I hope you can make it. I ended up with 3rd place in one of the modified classes. That was a surprise. I can't remember his name, but the guy from Norton, MA with the black 280z with LT1 and side pipes won the ultra modified class. We parked in the old fort last year. That was cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:41 am 

Well, I actually haven't test drivin it yet. After all, I know it will be ok, I found the pinion bearing to be wasted on the old Diff, and will figure that out later. I just cleaned her up and worked on my Fall time parts cleanup detail. There is a car show Today that I am attending, (look, rain is going byby,) and the show is at the bottom of my street. I can push it there, but I will go for a test drive after the show so I can keep it clean as I can for what it is. I AM going to the Fort Adams show next week. Promise me Rob you register in Modified So I have a chance to win in Stock. :lol: This happened the last time I was there. The guy from Norton was there, has a 350 with side pipes. He won in Modified, I won runner up in stock. I consider my Z to just have some upgrades. :wink: Irv: I'm using Eibach springs, Tokico shocks. I have the 280zx slotted drilled rotors with maxima calipers, 280 booster with 300zx master. Exhaust is home made from a 6-1 header, turned into a 6-2 header, there are cherry bombs on each side of transmission, that "Y" into a 3" single outlet through a Thrush Muffler, with baffled tip. Secret will be unveiled at fall outing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 am 

I'll see you next week then at the show. At this point I don't see how I could be put in stock. Last year they put me in modified and the only modifications I had were new rims and tires, BRE front and rear spoilers. I picked my class mainly so I could park with the other Z's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:11 pm 

Well I guess no one else was watching radar.....I showed up at the show with sunshine and no one was there, so took a long test drive and we went for lunch. Car sounds good, you hear a little typical noise from Diff, but much better. BTW, I installed the Solid Diff mount that came with it. So of course you will hear a little noise, but love it, very tight. NO tire rub, even on the most extreme bumps. So Rob, that was when you did not have the 350 in......very surprised they put you in modify. Now it is Modified of course.