Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:11 am 

Early -74 260z with original auto trans and original type radiator with trans oil cooling line attached at the bottom. My engine fan viscous clutch went and I got a new one online. Turned out the new one's deeper than the original. Checked that it will just slip into its place if carefully done, and as the bolts on the water pump side are about 20mm long, determined that it has enough space once installed. However even though it started to go fine it got totally stuck when the first hole slipped over one of the threaded studs in the pump. Wouldn't move back or forth. And as the radiator won't move at all towards front, all I could do was to try and carefully remove the viscous clutch. Well, the new one had stupid sharp nods in the front part and it punched the radiator which started to leak of course.. And do I feel stupid, stupid, stupid... Damage is done, and the trouble is, no original type radiators readily available where I live (Finland). I have recently ordered so many parts from the States and with the shipping added it is getting pretty darn expensive...

So I'm thinking is the trans cooling absolutely necessary as I'm usually driving in 10-25C (50-77f) so it doesn't ever get really hot? Every now and then, but really not often it may max out at 30c or 86f for a day or two. Would be way easier to find a radiator without the auto trans cooling line connector, so I'm wondering if this would be sensible?

The hole in the radiator is tiny, and I'm sure it is possible to fix it, but I wouldn't try that myself as I'm not a welder/solderer, don't have the equipment and I heard it is crucial to prepare the copper correctly and to clean the radiator also from inside properly for the solder to hold. And I don't seem to find radiator service in my area either.. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 am 

We always have plenty of ideas here, and they're always free.
The problem is, that's EXACTLY what they're worth! :lol:

I'm certainly no expert on the 260, nor on the autotrans, but here are my first reactions to your questions:

1. In my personal experience, Datsun never put anything mechanical on these cars which wasn't necessary. After the early 240Zs, any mechanical addition was usually made to solve an existing problem or prevent something from going wrong. In other words, if they put a new part on the car (like an AutoTrans cooler), it probably prevented a problem which their R&D people experienced before they installed it.
In the interior of the car they added lots of unnecessary 'feel good' doodads over the years which made you more comfortable or added visual sensation to your ride, but they seem to have tried to keep the mechanicals as simple as possible whenever they could.
So it would be my *OPINION* that the AutoTrans cooler is probably considered important, or they wouldn't have added that weight and expense to the car.

2. As I understand it, you punctured the engine cooling vein in the radiator, not the transmission cooling vein in the AutoTrans cooler? (Correct me if that's wrong).
I suspect you will not find a new 260 A/T radiator cheap (we show them here for about $150USD, but shipping costs might kill you). So it makes more sense to repair the one you have.

3. Any radiator shop can remove the core and PLUG the single vein you punctured. By closing the top and bottom of that single vein, you would isolate the leak and prevent any fluid from running thru that vein. The difference in cooling would probably not be noticeable in the weather you described. I think this would be the cheapest way around your problem.

4. As your 260Z shop manual says, the radiator is intended to be removed before you remove or install that fan. While the shop is repairing your radiator, you will have excellent access to the front of your engine and can properly install your fan or tidy up any other hard-to-reach things in that area.
I think you should drain and pull your entire radiator, drive it to a radiator shop in the trunk of your SAAB and ask them to pressure-test it. They will immediately find the leak and probably recommend exactly what I just said.

You have taken yet another step in bonding with your Z. You have learned a valuable lesson which you can now pass on to newer Z owners you meet during your lifetime. Few of us learn from success. Most of us learn from failure or mistakes. Don't feel bad.

We've all been there. :roll:

Frank

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 am 

If you search the internet (Ebay) there are typically lots of radiators available. All the ones I've seen come tapped with connections for auto trans coolers. I suspect its a lot easier to make them that way rather make manual & auto versions and risk people buying/returning them.

The brass ones used to be plentiful, aluminum seems to be the norm now, cheaper too.

1970 240Z - enhanced F54 L28 w/P90, Weber DCOEs, 4:11 R200, Nissan T5 5-speed

Last edited by Datsun Z Garage on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:14 am 

And BTW, if you can't find a local radiator shop, drop off your Datsun radiator at the nearest NISSAN dealer and let them do it. They certainly have "radiator people" hidden somewhere nearby. And/or any collision/body shop will know somebody who does radiator work, as well.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 am 

Do you have "JB" WELD over there.? Pack some of that in the hole for now. If all you can get is a normal Radiator, then go ahead and do so, then just attach an external transmission oil cooler. You can get one at any auto store or grab one from a junk yard. Some cars have external coolers from factory. Actually better that way for cooling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:02 am 

thanks guys for the input, well appreciated. I did manage to find a radiator repair shop within reasonable distance from my place, not near but not too bad either, so I will pack the radiator in the back of my PEUGEOT (not SAAB, Frank ;) ) and have it repaired. First it seemed like repairing radiators is the thing of the past, seems like not many shops do it anymore over here. Anyway I'll have it fixed, that's the best way to go. With the original fan clutch I had, I did remove it several times with the radiator in place and was just trying to minimise the effort again, and there was a price to pay as usual :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:48 am 

Well I guess man's greatest accomplishments seem to cost us in some way. :roll: Glad you found a place. :wink: