Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:45 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 pm 

I think term your referring to is "interference".

I hope you didn't stay up just to answer my questions. I'm in no rush and can wait. It isn't that important. That is one of the things that is great about forums. You are notified when someone responds at their earliest convenience.

Catch up on your rest!

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:47 pm 

Zzzzzzz....snort...what? what? Yes, right, interference, thank you!....Zzzzzzzz...

(My computer blares "Ride of the Valkyries" at full volume whenever you make an entry. No chance of sleeping thru that....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 pm 

Just did a compression test. Cyl 1 and 3 have the highest compression at 120/170 (dry/wet) and everything else was 110/165. Cheap rental gauge but the numbers are consistent. Going to see if I can work some magic to get it to start with this borrowed battery :shock:

EDIT: My gas pedal feels reallly close the the firewall and ive only got about 2 inches of movement. I noticed it towards the end of my journey with the Holley (probably because I was losing power and had to floor it to move at a reasonable pace). Ill get some pics uploaded later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 pm 

After all these adjustments, one would think that Id try putting retarding my timing from its fully advanced point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aozRfs7S ... e=youtu.be

Ran on starting fluid before the pops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:00 am 

is it running now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:28 pm 

Seems like everytime im about to make a breakthrough the battery im using dies. Got it going without starting fluid using the chokes and it made a ton of smoke burning up the oil that I had poured into the cylinder and that had gotten on my header. Hopefully now all I have left to do is tune the carbs and figure out how to work this timing light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm 

http://youtu.be/-YTb6JGCXH0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 pm 

First ill have to get my car to idle by itself so I can get out and use it! I see the zero mark on the front cover, but I cant find the markings on the crank pulley. Am I just trying to get to 17 degrees? Im a bit fuzzy as to what the timing light will accomplish if im not sure if the cam is stock or any other engine modifications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:14 pm 

The car is running and driving now but my timing is now fully retarded :roll:. Seemed like it wanted to be a little more retarded but I thought that was just me not hearing the car for a while. Drove it around to warm it up and redid the valve clearances. Started her up again and did a couple of test laps around the block for about 5 minutes before I noticed that the car was starting to overheat. Pulled back into the driveway and remembered that I had cut the hoses going into/out of the heater core and just ran the hose from the 90 degree pipe at end of the block directly into the 3 way coolant pipe on the side of the engine. It was a little crimped from the pressure, but water could still flow through it. Some searching showed me that timing can cause overheating and it looks like the overheating/running a little rough is because the timing is a little off.

Typing this now I hope I can wake up tomorrow morning and realize that I wired the plugs improperly, but If I didnt, what can I do? Fabricate a plastic arm to allow it to retard some more.Can I start counting the plugs up/down one post to prevent from always being fully advanced/retarded? It looks like the distributor plate for the electric distributor cant move as far as the old one, but the old one doesnt fit on this one. Sooooo close to getting it running right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:23 pm 

Sounds like you are getting close and at least it's running now. For the timing, what is telling you that you think it needs to be retarded more? These engines like some advance in the timing normally. Frank was mentioning your engine is not stock, so I would be careful advancing it to much though.

You could have had air in the coolant system when you refilled it after taking the radiator out. You should check the coolant lavel now after driving it. Also, did you run 50/50 coolant water. 100% coolant doesn't cool as well and it has been really hot out. Hot enough for these old cars to struggle to keep cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:59 pm 

I cant really describe it, but it doesnt sound like it used to and doesnt run as smooth. When I get on the gas it feels like im hurting the car (itll get up and go but it feels like it doesnt really want to).The car would only start retarded a bit and trying to advance it dropped the RPMs and made it run shakier. Retarding the timing made it run smoother and faster until I hit the end of my turning radius.

Before I was running 75/25 water/coolant but I thought id try the water wetter so now im running with the coolant/water that was left in the radiator when I pulled it and the rest water (distilled) until I can make it to the parts store. I did notice that I didnt even use a gallon of water when before it took a gallon and a half and a great deal of it had been drained when I pulled the radiator. If you keep advancing a distributor wont it eventually become retarded? Are the stops there to prevent that? The overheating may be in part because of my coolant system setup, but it feels like im bending my cars arm behind its back when its running and driving. Along with the way its running here are some explanations I found on the internet that are also influencing my opinion on timing being the issue:

Quote:
Retarded will over heat it most quickly. The burn occurs over about 80 degrees of crank rotation, when started late, there isn't time for the the flame temps to be reduced by work against the crank. This combined with the reaction still occurring when the exhaust valve opens conspires to dump really hot gases into the exhaust passages. This greatly increases the valve temp and the amount of heat picked up by the cooling system thru the structure of the head and exhaust port. The exhaust manifold/headers also become very hot, enough to glow. With retarded timing, the temps come up very quickly.

Quote:
Late timing will allow the fuel/air mixture to continue to burn while the piston travels away from TDC. This causes a lot of heat to be absorbed into the cylinder wall that wouldn't ordinarily be there. If extreme enough, exhaust gasses will still be carrying a lot of heat w/it. This heats up the exhaust valve, seat, port and the surrounding water jacket has to try to absorb all this additional heat. The result of it all can be an overheating condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:34 am 

Goofed again. For some reason I associated clockwise with retarding so the car is still fully advanced but it still doesnt feel like its as advanced as it needs/wants to be. Going to put the points back in to see if the distributor mount is the problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:01 am 

Running a car at 20 something degrees of advance to 30 something degrees of advance doesn't usually change how smooth the engine runs. Usually more advance makes more power to a point, but it would be hard to tell the difference. Something else is probably causing your problem.

Is your vacuum advance hooked up?

How will changing back to points tell you if the mount is the problem? I don't follow that logic.

Are you at the point that it is running well, but just fine tuning it? That is when fine tuning the advance will make a small difference but not really how smooth it runs.

Can you post another video showing how it idles and how it sounds when it revs?

What was done with the clogged return gas line?

How are the carbs set right now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:38 am 

Right now its running and driving and like you said when I popped the radiator cap I couldnt even see the water level. Filled it up, drove around and now its running 1/4 of the way over the half line on the temp gauge, but still lacking power and feels like im really pushing the car.

I thought the mounts were different for the distributors and believed that I could advance the car more with my other distributor. Threw it back in and the car wouldnt start in any orientation. Drove around about with the electric distributor, pulled over to remove the screw that prevents the distributor from spinning, and advanced the dizzy past the point that the mount allows. The engine started running smoother, sounding better, and the idle also picked up. Vacuum advance is hooked up, return line is blocked off again, carbs are set at 2 1/2 turns ( a little rich). Its running strong with nothing that would make me nervous about taking it for a trip besides knowing that the timing is off and the idle that tries to drop too low because I havent messed with the carbs/linkages yet (everything is just touching where its supposed to be).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 am 

Congrats, sounds great!

I'm wondering if the the wires are off just one position on the distributer. I bet if you move them each one position clockwise on your distributer you will be able to get the timing adjusted within the adjustment range of the distributer. My guess is when you figured out where the rotor was pointing when number one cam lobes were up that the lobes weren't perfectly in the right position. The distributer was probably not zeroed either.

You can probably get the carbs close, but if you want to get them right on get a colortune spark plug. It helps to dial in the fuel mixture perfectly. It's easy to get the airflow equal with a air flow meter, but the fuel mixture is sometimes tough to get just right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next