Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 1990 TT - Clutch Help
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:12 pm 

Hi guys,

First off, I'm "new" to this site, but have owned Z32's for about 12 years now. I'm an avid TT.net member (don't hate) and have posted there with a request for a local helping hand.

I encountered a clutch problem last Wednesday, and have met with a couple different "mechanics" who have mis-diagnosed the Z.

I'm hoping to find someone local who is able and willing to help me drop the tranny and inspect my issue BEFORE I go buying a new clutch or any related parts.

I'll be happy to supply money, beer, whatever....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 pm 

Welcome!
What kind of tools do you have and what ones do you still need?

Got access to a lift or ramps or a transmission jack?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:27 pm 

Thanks Frank!

Well half my issue is the space I have to work with, and my tool selection.

No transmission jack, I pretty much have just basic tools. I was planning on getting the car on jack stands as I don't have access to a lift.

What about you? Do you have the space and tools, or were you hoping I did?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:31 pm 

Well, being basically laZy, I was hoping you had everything and just wanted some help :lol: . Life seldom works that way.

I have a buddy with a lift in his one-car residential garage, but I don't know his schedule. I can check. It's a lot easier with the car in the air, than it is with us on the ground.

What, exactly, is your clutch doing that makes you suspicious of it?

F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:37 pm 

Oh that sounds ideal! Would just have to figure out a way to get the Z there, tow I'm sure.

Last week I was driving when the clutch pedal suddenly lost all pressure. I then couldn't get the car into gear. When I press the clutch pedal I hear an awful high pitched noise. Car will go into gear when off, and clutch is engaged, just won't disengage.

Slave is working, and is not leaking. I actually put a new master on last night and it didn't help at all. Of course the system was bled several times too.

It's an RPS Sport Street clutch, about 6 years old. Others have said the issue could be the throw out bearing, pilot bushing, pivot ball, or even a busted spring on the friction disk.

THoughts?

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:03 pm 

Throwout bearing was my very first thought.

When it breaks (usually by the inner and outer races separating, releasing a handful of ball bearings), there's no way to break the clutch free from the pressure plate. You can actually drive the car like that in an emergency. Start it in neutral and let it warm up. Shut it off and put it into 1st gear. Turn the key and, as the starter chugs the car along, feed a little gas. The engine catches, you drive up to a few thousand rpm and back off the gas while pulling back into 2nd. Repeat as necessary. Stopping requires you to be in neutral, then you begin the process all over again.

I would recommend AGAINST this procedure under your circumstances. That high pitched squeal you hear is probably a ball bearing (from the throw out bearing) or the throwout arm being rubbed against moving parts. Unhealthy, and sure to cause damage to other parts.

Any garage or transmission shop would be capable of pulling the driveshaft and dropping the gearbox. They have the tools and do it safely many times each day. Are you sure you want to do it yrslf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:28 am 

I don't trust most people to work on the Z to be honest.

I also enjoy doing projects to the Z. I've pulled a tranny off the engine before, but it was sitting in my garage, so much easier!

I'm sure there are shops out there that can do this work, but where is the question? I was also trying to cut costs due to other obligations in my life right now. I would rather spend money on quality parts and save the money on the labor aspect.

Let me know though if you're willing to help in any way.

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 am 

Certainly willing, altho the ZX cars are not my forte. I'm an old-school 240 guy. I'll have to check with my friend to zee what we can do with his lift, and how long we might might be allowed to tie up his garage. If we drop the box and then have to wait for parts, he might need to drop us off the lift and push you out into his backyard. I would prefer to leave your car in the garage while we awaited parts (not that anyone would drive away with it while the box is out). I can probably contact him today and let you know.

In the meantime, tell us about your TT? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:27 am 

That sounds great to me, please let me know when you find something out.

My TT:
1990, super white, red interior. I bought it in Sept. 2006 off the original owner with only 31k miles - it was BONE stock!

Since then, I've driven the car about 100k miles :P and have put on Z1 intercoolers, JWT pop charger, SS clutch line, lightweight crank pulley, OD water pump pulley, and other small goodies.

Along with this clutch work, I'll also be hoping to install my downpipes and testpipes that are sitting in my house, along with functioning o2 sensors (as I'm getting trouble codes for both o2 sensors now). Interior is a 9.5 out of 10 and is all stock/unmolested.

I just want her driving nice for the summertime, that and it's my DD so I NEED it for transportation, LOL.

Is your 240 all hooked up? Turbo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 am 

Did you actually pull the boot off the slave cylinder to see if it's leaking? Just looking at it isn't going to tell you. All the fluid could be sitting in the boot, therefore air is in the system and you lose your clutch. If you put it in first gear and start it, does it take off and drive in first? If so, probably can drive it to where ever it is your going to work on it. I have done this many times, I don't need a clutch to drive a vehicle in an emergency. Unless clutch is burnt out, then you're going no where's. All the other things are possible, but unlikely, unless something wasn't installed right. Or inferior part broke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:53 am 

Yes the slave was inspected and isn't leaking, and it's moving as it should when I press the clutch pedal.

I currently have an RPS Sport Street clutch, and installed a chromoly pivot ball.

When this first happened, I was able to start the car in 1st gear, and yes it would pull forward. However, now my car won't even start if I have it in gear. It turns over but won't fire up.

Clutch wasn't/isn't slipping. I don't burn the clutch and it still has perfect clamping force.

If the slave is bad, will you hear horrific noises when pressing the clutch pedal? I didn't think a bad slave would cause any noises, just thought it wouldn't allow things to work as they should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 pm 

["It turns over but won't fire up. "] :? Hmmm.....trying to picture that. You mean it chugs forward (rolls) in gear, but the engine doesn't catch?

I know some of the first ZX cars had a clutch safety switch which required you to depress the clutch to the floor before the engine would start, but that didn't become very popular and I don't know if they continued it into the 300zxTT or not?

Curiouser and curiouser.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:00 pm 

Yes I'm pretty sure the TT has the clutch safety switch.

The engine will crank when in gear, but will not fire up. It has gotten progressively worse since I broke down last Wednesday, due to the fact I've tried starting it several times, different ways, after bleeding the system, changing the master cylinder, etc.

On Wednesday when I broke down, I was able to start it in neutral but not put it into gear, and also start it in 1st and clutch was engaged and car would roll forward, but couldn't get it OUT of gear.

Now, it won't start in gear, again it just cranks but doesn't fire.

Frank, take a ride over tonight if you wanna check it out, see the symptoms. I don't know what part of CT you're in, but I'm in Fairfield County, to help narrow my location down a little. If you'd like, send me an email to address listed in my profile. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:28 pm 

Well, we've got a CTZCC monthly meeting tonight, which I don't want to miss for anything! So it won't be tonight. You're very welcome to come with us if you'd like ~ we'll feed you (piZZa) and we promise a lot of Z talk and camaraderie. You might actually meet some real Z mechanics, and we're meeting tonight at Executive Nissan in North Haven (Universal Drive). Would be cool to meet you. You don't have to be a member to attend, just have to love the Z carZ.

I will contact you, tho, and we'll get this together.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:45 pm 

Thanks but I'm unable to make it there, due to having no wheelz.

Talk soon Frank