Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Z31 Timing Belt Change
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 pm 

Hi All!

I am due for a timing belt change. I can easily bring it to a shop, and have them do it, however part of the reason I bought a Z was because there is so much knowledge out there that I should be able to learn my way through a lot of things that I need to do.

That being said, here is my "plea" for help.

Over the last couple of days, I have done extensive searching about timing belt changes. I've looked here, on Z31Performance.com, and briefly on Zcar, and Z driver. I've found bits and pieces of great information, but haven't found that one SOLID write up that I can follow step by step.

I've also found lists of things to change, lists of things not to change. etc etc.

SO, does anyone know of a complete write up for "dummies" like myself?

I appreciate any and all the help I can get.

:wink:

Last edited by Filipe on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 pm 

Step #1: Get a Z31 shop manual. You will find many members in here who have done this job and each of them will happily share his experience with you. But the manual will tell you the step by step you are looking for and need.

In fact, Uncle Phil might even have that procedure on 'fische?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:24 pm 

I may have one, Frank. I found some goodies in the rack of my car under the rear carpet. I also have the original owners manual and another booklet as well. They're at home, otherwise I'd give you the specific names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:30 pm 

Well, the owner's manual probably won't address such detailed work as engine tear downs. That's usually more for what each switch does, what each gauge means, how to adjust things, and how to perform simpler preventive maintenance on your Z (like changing the oil).

The shop or field manuals would give detailed info (with pictures) about performing mid-level maintenance and repair to your car. It would also tell you what Special Tools or gasket sets you might need for a job, so you can order and have them on hand before starting the work.

RDZ is the area's leading WiZard for these cars, in case you decide not to try it yrslf. Just be advised ~ most mechanic shops charge extra if you bring them projects you've started and given up on. :wink: You might get an estimate from them before turning any wrenches, just to help you decide if you want to do it yrslf or not.

But wait to hear from other members who have actually done this to their ZX cars.

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:35 pm 

It's a good point Frank. I'll have to look at what it would cost me to DIY vs get it done.

But, so long as I have all the right goodies and take my time, I can get 'er done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:36 pm 

Frank, this is what you were referring to, correct?

http://z31-ae.com/pdf/1984_300zx_fsm/EM.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:52 pm 

Well, that's one of them, altho that is translated from the original Japanese and doesn't make as much sense as I would need to begin that job.

Haynes and Clymer (is that right?) both make shop manuals in detailed english for just about every job you ever intend to do on any type of car or motorcycle. It might take a little searching, but if you could get both company's shop manuals, together they would give you exquisite detail about how to do this (and what gaskets and tools you'll need before starting). The torque specs are important from this manual you showed me, so it's already of some help.

PS: Also buy a quart of PBBlaster, Gunk engine cleaner, a box of rubber gloves your size and any special tools the job calls for, before you start. Soak everything clean first, then spray the penetrant on every bolt you'll have to turn. If you're anything like me, you'll think you have everything you need, only to discover an odd-milimeter bolt head you don't have a socket for :roll:. That's happened to everyone. Know in advance where to buy Datsun/Nissan sockets and Special Tools (I use Wallingford) and have a second car available to run for parts in.

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:55 pm 

As Frank said first thing is to get a fsm, very helpful indeed. I had used ALLDATA when I did it on one of my old Z's..very useful if you can get access to it. Study the manual a few times so you have a general idea of process.

:!: Be sure to double and triple check everything before you start it up again :!:

Last summer I did the tb on my gsx and had everything all bolted up and ready to go and I noticed the lower timing cover sitting on the ground...that summer heat and the luck of the dsm owner :lol:

Anyways here are some links you can check out:
http://www.xenonz31.com/timingbelt.html
http://www.z31.com/repairs/tbelt.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:58 pm 

OK, thanks. I've got the Haynes and FSM. I'll search for the Clymer.

Thanks for the links, hadn't come across that first one yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 pm 

Xenon's website has tons of useful information on our cars. The Z31 FSM and other related factory manuals are available for download in PDF format at this URL.

http://www.xenonz31.com/reference.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:40 pm 

I don't mean to complicate this any more than necessary, but for any of you Z31 guyz ~ is this particular job year-sensitve?? I mean, it's the same basic engine used each year, but were there any significant modifications as the years went along, which could result in 'surpriZes' if you grabbed a manual from the year before or year after?

Just for my own Z31 education, because this is such a frequent and common engine job, and I'm not really a Z31 guy........

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:46 pm 

HEY. Another thing I just thought of.

The best thing you could hope to do is find ANOTHER Z31 member who needs to do the same thing to his Z, and park them side by side in the same garage so you can help each other thru the jobs! 8) You share tools, intelligence and muscle, and somebody's always there to watch the other for safety and hands-on OJT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:50 pm 

Yes, that would be an ideal situation! Or watching a shop do it as well. Not sure if they would let that happen.

I have to find a list of parts that I will need. Guess that's step one for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 pm 

Steve Perkins has a video tutorial on several useful Z31 engine teardowns

http://youtu.be/cjU_G7GKdEM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm 

Thanks Frank. I do believe that's the Z32, though. Very useful nonetheless