Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 am 

Happy to report that I know most of what you guys are talking about!

Rockers will not be coming off, I know that much.

I'm a perfectionist, so you can bet your top dollar that the marks will be dead on. I'm a big fan of measure 10x cut once. Usually doesn't fail.

I just got off the phone with RDZ. Let's just say that if I were to pay them to do it, I won't be driving this car until next summer.

I'll be relying on this forum, z31P, and the FSM, Haynes, and any other material I can get my hands on until mid April. If I don't feel good about it by then, well, let's not think about that for now.

Currently, the crankshaft timing pulley is what scares me the most. I have a drip somewhere, and if it's coming from the crankshaft seal, that's going to leave me no choice BUT to replace it. I really hope I don't have to drill and tap it.

What's everyone's favorite place to get parts? I'm in no rush to get them shipped, so time is not a priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:42 pm 

Paul, I'm assuming that you disconnect the coil wire so the engine won't fire when trying to break the crankshaft bolt free. correct? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:42 pm 

^^^That would be ugly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:53 pm 

["What's everyone's favorite place to get parts?"]

For old Datsun partz, I drive up to Barberino Nissan in Wallingford. They have (or had?) a guy there who really knows the old Z cars (Dominic) and managed to get me NOS parts which were no longer made. 203.265.1611. ZXT parts might be available thru any Nissan dealer (?), and if you just need tools or general shop gear, Advance Auto has been excellent for finding me stuff which brought blank stares to some NAPA dealerships.

Remember, we get a Club discount from RockAuto, too. Sometimes that counts. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 pm 

I believe that Executive Nissan in North Haven also provides discounts to club members. There is also Courtesy Nissan in Texas who has a knowledgible Z car staff, provide great parts service and will also provide a discount for club membership.

http://executivenissanparts.com/

http://www.courtesyparts.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:03 pm 

Generally speaking who would you guys say have the best prices (shipping time not being a factor)?

I'd like to get all the parts from the same place, well as many as possible. I know there are some that will need to be Nissan. Not a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm 

I got most of my stuff from Rockauto and the nissan stuff I got through nissanparts.cc

Greg C. might have extra CHTS + subharness to sell because the guy buys z31 parts by the truckload. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:34 am 

Yes, or pull the ECU fuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:21 pm 

Alright, so how does this list look? What do I need to add/are there any duplicates that I created just because I don't know the name of the part?

Are there any other parts that I should get as OEM?

Much thanks everyone!

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 8.14.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 8.14.26 PM.png [ 67.11 KiB | Viewed 7878 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm 

Hmm. Tensioner spring? I don't remember having to get one of those. I thought the tensioner assembly already had the spring in it, but I could be wrong. Anyone else remember?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:26 pm 

I never owned one of these, but I just read somewhere that the tensioner spring should be replaced as often as you gain access to it (on belt changes) because YES, while it is part of the tensioner assembly, it can fail before the other parts do, and cause the chain to eat the world around it (or something like that). In other words, it was a really cheap insurance policy to prevent a pretty expensive disaster if it ever failed. (The spring pushed the plunger which provides tension against the chain? That's how I understood the article).

ALSO, if you're just dripping with spare money and need good places to spend it, smarter people than me have said it's wise to always keep a spare gasket kit on hand. If something pops in your car, and your local Nissan dealer doesn't have the correct gasket kit (or isn't open at the hour you have the trouble), having a spare kit saves you waiting for UPS delivery from Rock Auto or something. It might be a simple thing like a thermostat gasket, which you could change in less than an hour *IF* you had a gasket kit available. Otherwise, your car could be sidelined for days, waiting for a gasket kit to arrive (at emergency delivery price). Gasket kits don't have shelf lives ~ you can keep them forever in your garage until you need them. But it's far better to have them and never need 'em, than to need 'em and not have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:40 pm 

Frank T wrote:
I never owned one of these, but I just read somewhere that the tensioner spring should be replaced as often as you gain access to it (on belt changes) because YES, while it is part of the tensioner assembly, it can fail before the other parts do, and cause the chain to eat the world around it (or something like that). In other words, it was a really cheap insurance policy to prevent a pretty expensive disaster if it ever failed. (The spring pushed the plunger which provides tension against the chain? That's how I understood the article).

ALSO, if you're just dripping with spare money and need good places to spend it, smarter people than me have said it's wise to always keep a spare gasket kit on hand. If something pops in your car, and your local Nissan dealer doesn't have the correct gasket kit (or isn't open at the hour you have the trouble), having a spare kit saves you waiting for UPS delivery from Rock Auto or something. It might be a simple thing like a thermostat gasket, which you could change in less than an hour *IF* you had a gasket kit available. Otherwise, your car could be sidelined for days, waiting for a gasket kit to arrive (at emergency delivery price). Gasket kits don't have shelf lives ~ you can keep them forever in your garage until you need them. But it's far better to have them and never need 'em, than to need 'em and not have them.

I think I read something similar to you on that, Frank. Not dripping with spare money, but an extra gasket here and there won't put me on my back. It's a good idea to have an extra few lying around...I'm going to have to start paying rental space in the garage to my parents at this rate! Good thing I sold that go kart last weekend!...it was a space take, plus now I have a "real" toy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm 

Do you guys have any sort of brand preference? There's so many options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:38 am 

If this was my car, I would go to Rock Auto and see how much the Gates timing Belt Kit cost, if it comes with an Aisin water pump. Or get the timing belt kit and an Aisin water pump separately. The kit should have the tensioner and spring with it, but yes, I would replace all that. I wouldn't mess around with that, don't want any issues down the line. I forget if there is an idler pulley, should come with kit, but replace all this old stuff. Cam and crank seals are a givin, but never seen them leak, but might as well while in there. I'd go Beck Arnley on those if possible. I use permatex on the outside of seal when I install to make sure they are permanent. These are all reputable companies, and I probably been using them longer than you are old. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 pm 

Paul wrote:
If this was my car, I would go to Rock Auto and see how much the Gates timing Belt Kit cost, if it comes with an Aisin water pump. Or get the timing belt kit and an Aisin water pump separately. The kit should have the tensioner and spring with it, but yes, I would replace all that. I wouldn't mess around with that, don't want any issues down the line. I forget if there is an idler pulley, should come with kit, but replace all this old stuff. Cam and crank seals are a givin, but never seen them leak, but might as well while in there. I'd go Beck Arnley on those if possible. I use permatex on the outside of seal when I install to make sure they are permanent. These are all reputable companies, and I probably been using them longer than you are old. :D

Wow, that was a lot of info!

1. I didn't even realize they came in kits.
2. I have no idea what an idler is. Is an idler and idler pulley the same thing?
3. Gates kit comes with belt, pump, idler, and tensioner. All for 54 bucks:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1209495
4. No beck Arnley for the cam/crank shaft seals. I think i'll do Executive Nissan for those, and go the OEM route.

Thanks for the help, Paul. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next