Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Jack Stands VS Car Ramps
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 am 

What's the preference around here?? I know there's a convenience factor with the ramps, but they're also limited when you're doing wheel related things of course. I'm looking to buy four of each, or 2 of both types. Any input is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:43 am 

I've owned and used both.

I trust jackstands far more than I trust wheel ramps. I've seen ramps move and even fall over while mounting or dismounting a car (my own fault) with some scary results. Also, ramps require an additional 5ft of 'rolling' space to use, which you might not have in your garage. It's 'concerning' to back your Z off ramps when the rear of your garage is filling your mirrors.

Your car must be running to use ramps, unless you jack it wayyy up and place the ramps under it. You can use stands on any car.
There's plenty of room in your Z for two jackstands. Try carrying two ramps back there!

Additionally, I've seen two guys drive up the sides of their ramps (instead of squarely up the center) and fall off them (the ramps leaned, fell over, skidded out or actually bent), resulting in one ramp getting stuck up under the car.

Most of the time I put a car in the air it has something to do with wheels, tires or suspension. Ramps don't help me in those cases.

Finally, ramps are the height you buy them at. They never increase height. Stands are adjustable to various heights.

Uncle Phil has an interesting arrangement in his garage, which he might share with us here.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:12 am 

I can easily see how ramps become a two man job. One watches while the other drives. Thanks for pointing out that the ramps can even get stuck, I didn't realize how tall they actually are.

You're right, Uncle Phil does have an awesome setup. I spotted it on here some time ago. It looks to me like the best of both worlds!...one day, one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:16 am 

I have both ramps and stands, and I use both. Ramps are the way to go for oil changes! I often drive the car up onto ramps, then jack it and put wheel stands under it, when I have to do off-wheel service. Once it's on the stands, I pull the ramps out of the way to work. I like the idea of having one wheel on a ramp and the other side on a jackstand while I do wheel or brake work on the jackstand side. Seems safer to me. I usually leave the wheels under the car, too, to catch it in case the car falls. I'm a belt-AND-suspenders kind of guy when it comes to going underneath a car! Anyhow, I recommend two ramps and two or four jackstands for your garage inventory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:33 am 

Most cars are to low for wheel ramps, so I hardly use mine. Most cars have a strong cross member up front and I jack it up from there and use the jack stands. Same with the rear. So very rarely I jack up 4 corners, instead 2 times and use 4 stands. My spare set of wheel ramps are now welded to my new trailer for quick access. Almost done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm 

I especially don't like how ramps slide along on concrete garage floors when you're trying to drive onto them. And, like Paul, my Z is too low to drive up ramps, even with extension pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 pm 

I thank you all for the input. LOoks like I'll be getting 2 sets of stands!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 pm 

You asked Frank. I still love these and my Z has been sitting up on them all winter as I muster the ambition to tackle rebuilding the turbo...

Unfortunately, the manufacturer went out of business last year due to the high cost of steel. Another American business goes under. Al least I got mine before they became scarce!

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=6606

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:12 pm 

Those ramps are nice, but I can get my Z just as high with a jack and jack stands for under $100, and spend a little more time, but someday when I get tired of doing that, this does look like a good option. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 pm 

This is true Paul.

Well, I've got 2 Jack stands on their way to my home. :)

Let the part collecting commence!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 am 

I've had good luck with the Rhino ramps. The funny thing is, I use them for all the reasons everyone else doesn't.
They have rubber under them to keep them from sliding and no clearance issues.
After the car is on the ramps I will jack up te rear and set stands under it if there is a need to get the car up..
To me both are useful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:22 pm 

Know what really works good.........a Lift. :shock: someday I will :roll: