Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: technical breakthrough
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 pm 

Here's an invention I thought Frank might be able to adapt to the Z.
Would be useful for those long car shows.
Jack

Attachments:
Vacuum.jpg
Vacuum.jpg [ 941.55 KiB | Viewed 4214 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:45 pm 

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm 

This was such a raging success, we've never heard of it. :?

My first thought when I saw it, without reading it, was a suicide hose.

It's amaZing the number of patents granted to oddball inventions during the early years of the 20th century, and many of them were auto-related.

One of my other favorites was an "automatic derby tipper". Back in 1910 it was mandatory to tip your hat to each lady you passed. In the cold winter, this device let you keep your hands in your pockets and squeeze a rubber bulb, which tipped your bowler hat by pneumatic pressure. That one got replaced by an even 'more automatic' model, which operated on simple mechanical momentum. The guy merely looked at the lady and nodded in her direction, and the pendulum under his hat made it tip respectfully.

http://people.tribe.net/2a9ffd0c-faf1-4 ... a7841c4fde

I undrstd Phil got one of those for his 10th birthday, but the tradition of showing respect for females expired before he ever got to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:41 pm 

It's hard to ask if someone remembers a device which you can't even remember the name of yourself, but I'll try.

In the mid 1960s an aluminum spacer plate was available for installation between your 4Bbl carburetor and intake manifold. The plate had 4 venturi, each the size of the carburetor venturi. But each hole in the plate had a tiny free-spinning plastic propeller (or impeller) which spun like mad when the engine was running. They were available thru such auto parts warehouses as J.C. Whitney.

The idea behind this device was to break up fuel droplets coming from the carburetor, to give you 'better combustion and fuel mileage'.

I think it was called a 'fuel atomization plate' or something like that. Because I can't recall the proper name, I can't find a photograph of one.

The idea was actually sound, since the smaller the gasoline droplets your engine receives, the more oxygen can surround them and the more power you can get from a given volume of fuel.

In actual practice, however, these tiny plastic propellers (each about the size of your pinky nail) spun at CRAZY speeds when you opened the throttle, and centrifugal force made them disintegrate before you drove a full mile. That, of course, fragged your engine and filled your combustion chambers and valve seats with plastic particles which got inhaled and melted in the heat of the combustion chambers.

We had two kids in our high school AutoMech class who fragged their engines with these plates. Anybody remember the plates themselves, or the proper name for them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 am 

I have cleaned my Z's interior with exhaust gasses LOL i think many Z owners have done that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:04 pm 

Frank,
You have a quite a vast knowledge of everything!! I hope I will be able to meet you this year at any Z get together. I will be attending ZCON and will be staying at the Crowne Plaza for the first 3 days of the show.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm 

Well, I knew that, too. 8)

( :lol: )

I have reservations for the same days and look fwd to meeting you in person and sharing some laughs together!

F