Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am 

Sorry John ~ I thought your system was stock with an ANSA add-on. Apologies.

There were only two real complaints about my old ANSA system.
#1: The junction of the down pipe and the exhaust pipes hung down very low under the car and indeed became the lowest point OF my car, other than the tires. I can't count how many times I snagged them on speed bumps or climbing steep driveways and tore them open. My mechanic grew so tired of welding them back on for me, he kept a box of coat hangers to use instead of welding rods, just for me.

#2: At exactly 70mph in 4th (2800rpm), the pipes set up a harmonic vibration of the rear cargo deck. It sounded like a symphony kettle drum being rubbed instead of struck. Nothing to be done for it. I drove my car across the USA and Canada several times and was forced to avoid 70mph for long stretches; a pity, since that was my preferred cruising speed with that car.

But those were my ONLY complaints about the system, and I'd gladly welcome the chance to tolerate them again today. I suspect the ANSA would suit your needs nicely; they were quiet in town until you got your foot into them, then they woke up and let you know who was in charge. Anything above 3,000 rpm made everyone stop and pay attention. Below that, I could creep home late at night without disturbing the sleeping neighbors.

There are a lot of good-sounding exhaust systems for the 240Z, but in my personal experience nothing - nothing - beats the sound of the original old optional ANSA system.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 pm 

Alright guys, I am hoping you can confirm the logical way to do this exhaust upgrade. I'm not sure I need to bring it to a muffler shop, but I am open to that if it makes sense. (and would appreciate any shops you guys know of near Milford CT)

Starting Point: Stock L24/Exhaust Manifold/pipe/muffler

Exhaust Manifold: Want to keep the stock manifold for now, but have the option to upgrade to MSA 6-1 later.
Pipe Size: 2-1/2"
Resonator Magnaflow 4" Round (#10416) *May not order this at the start, but I believe I will ultimately install it as well.
Rear Muffler: Either Magnaflow #12636 (offset) or #12616 (straight)
Tip: TBD

Considering I want to keep the stock Manifold for now, I think the MSA exhaust kit w/ stock manifold adapter pipe might be the best choice. Sure I will cut the central pipe to add the resonator in the middle and never use the included muffler, but it removes the need for a muffler shop and gives me the parts to easily swap to a 6-1 header in the future.

Is this a reasonable plan? MSA Kit with 2 magnaflow parts is roughly $450.

Extra credit: Will I be better suited with an offset muffler in the back or the straight?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:19 pm 

Isn't that the exhaust combination Bryan Little used?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:28 pm 

I think a few people here used it, I guess my main question is if i should bother starting with the MSA kit at all given that all of it besides the pipe itself will likely be replaced. And of course if people's experiences with the offset inlet/outlet were better or worse than straight thru at the muffler.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:17 am 

Dave I found this system on Ebay and the seller is in North Haven.
I bought my ANSA over and under tips from him a couple of years ago.
This is a complete system ABARTH for a 240.

Here is a link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Abarth-Exh ... Sw6aVUmyVj

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 pm 

What you have described is almost exactly my exhaust system.

I am running the MSA 2 1/2" premium exhaust with the large downpipe. It has been a bit of a work in progress for me but it sounds like you plan to go where I ended up. I found I needed to shorten the rear section by 1 1/2" in the piece below the differential, and an additional 1 1/2" or so in the upsweep to the rear muffler in order to get a nice tight fit. I'm OCD about low hanging pipes under the car.

Anyway I have found that the Magnaflow rear muffler has a great note to it but is far too loud (and drones at cruising rpm)by itself.I added a Summit brand 18" length glasspack in the midpipe and am amazed at how great it sound now. Much better.

Still angry sounding under full throttle but mellow under part. Not quiet ever though. Just right for me.

I don't know what a muffler shop would charge to build a similar system but I found starting with the MSA system worked for me. I have a welder and lift in my garage though so I don't mind fiddling with things. I did not like the fit out of the box. It worked but needed a few mods to fit tight.

Plan on adding that resonator, you'll need it.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:42 pm 

Do you have an oem exhaust manifold?

How did you find the fit of the MSA kit when adding the glass pack? I was a bit concerned I would need the ability to bend the pipe slightly so the resonator didn't rub on the tunnel walls. This, and concerns about multiple butt joint clamps (since I don't have the ability to weld) were the reasons I am currently leaning towards having a shop do it. Maybe the place Frank went to on North Haven.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:18 am 

I do have the original exhaust manifold.

The mid pipe does require reworking to fit a resonator.... It will hit the tunnel if not. I bought two 180 deg mandrel bends online for something like $20, and cut them at the angles I felt would fit. Some of the cuts were flipped over to direct the pipe back the other way.

I'll try to get some pictures posted tonight if I can figure out how haha.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:08 am 

Since you mentioned you were particular about low hanging pipes, if you used the included head/downpipe from MSA with the triangular flange... did you find that that flange hung too low? Certainly you tweaked the exhaust back from that point, I just wonder if that first triangular flange was in a bad position.

Even if I bring it to a custom shop, I might go to that shop with the downpipe and 2 mufflers in hand, and have them fit it. Then someday IF I do the MSA headers maybe it will be close to a drop in solution... assuming the headers at equivalent in size/shape to the OEM manifold + headpipe combo.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 am 

As an aside, if you DO decide to go with headers, many of us have found it worth our money to have them ceramic coated before installation. Doesn't cost much, adds color to your engine like nail polish adds to your lady, and pumps about 85% of all exhaust heat directly out the back of the car. Honestly, I can grab my headers shortly after shutting down. Worth a thought.
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:02 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I do plan to eventually run a header so I'll keep that in mind!

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:41 pm 

Since Photobucket decided to make embedding photos pricey, I haven't figured out what the best alternative is. I'm trying to figure out how to use Google photos but so far I'm not sure I can embed photos in the forum from there.

Dave, to answer your question about the first flange of the exhaust system, I didn't alter that at all. I think that one is positioned well and poses no clearance issues for me..... I'm on Arizona Z car springs (1-1.5" lower than stock). The rear flange was too low though, and the bend by the diff was also unsightly. It took some trimming back there to tuck it in

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:25 pm 

Imgur.com is a decent option, but not sure that photos will exist there forever. Or you could attach them to the post via this forum.

Thanks for the info. I have gotten quotes of 200-300$ to get a custom system made if I provide the two mufflers and head pipe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:14 pm 

Here is my setup Dave. Sorry for the delay, and the blurry first one.

Jay

Attachments:
IMG_20170817_062037102.jpg
IMG_20170817_062037102.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 5870 times ]
IMG_20170817_062056832.jpg
IMG_20170817_062056832.jpg [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 5870 times ]
IMG_20170818_223115282.jpg
IMG_20170818_223115282.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 5870 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:04 pm 

Well done, that looks well fit. You are right, the headpipe flange is in a good spot... good to know. Thanks

Whats the diameter on your resonator/glasspack? looks snug, maybe a 5" or 6". My plan was only 4" so maybe i'll have it a little easier in there... but nice to know I could go larger.

Makes me want get a later differential crossmember with the larger exhaust cutout. Maybe I can find one kicking around on this forum. Calling all cars, calling all cars...

Do you have an R180 rear diff or R200? I want to swap to a R200 at some point and want to future proof the exhaust routing for that possibility. Not sure exactly what to tell the shop in that regard, if I find a picture that would be great.