Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: slow wipers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:07 pm 

Hey guys ...... for winter projects I've noticed that the wipers on
my 260 work, but are very slow. With the roadster, no intention of driving in rain, however, it did happen once this fall, which is when I noticed. Any ideas? Motor, ground?
Jack Durand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:49 pm 

gunk in everything...they need to have the pivots and gears and stuff cleaned out and re-lubed every thirty years or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:42 pm 

Or the motor is getting tired, and could be gunked up as well. I have some motors if you ever need one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:58 pm 

I am totally unfamiliar with the 260 wsw motors, but I can tell you from experience that the 240 series employed a number of them, each different from the previous. It seems they improved over time, adding delayed wipe, extra speeds, and who-knows-what-else. Accordingly, each 240 plug has a different number of pins and connections than the others and they will NOT interface with each other. Also, if you manage to find the same plug but the wrong year motor, all sorts of 'haunting' experiences are possible with the combination ~ they won't shut off, they will pause mid-stroke, they 'humm' and click after being turned off, waiting for some other command from a function you no long employ, etc.

Because the 260 was only made for a single year HERE does not (not) make us exempt from these same problems. The 260 was extremely popular elsewhere and lasted for several more years overseas than it did here. Other countries simply never even got it ~ they went from the 240 directly to the 280.

My point is, John, be cautious to replace your wsw motor with exactly the same item, by number, as you remove or you could wind up with 'ghost' wipers.

Frank T

Post subject: 260 wipers slow.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:48 pm 

appreciate the comments. Frank, I'll be sure to check #'s. I do remember with my original 240 Datsun was coming out with new parts constantly, not interchangable, so you had to know what month your car was mfg'd. Had forgotten how much fun that was. Hoping with the 260 not so much, but my car was a canadian delivery. Don't know if that makes a difference. My gut tells me motor getting tired because car was'nt driven much in weather after roadster conversion. Possible lack of use could also be an issue.