Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:01 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: need help/shop maybe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:01 pm 

Hey guys know I've been away for awhile, but its all because i became a father, but now that my son is almost 2 and i want to get back out there, but i need help i want to install a switch to turn off passenger air bag so he can ride with me hes my buddy and i want him to come to car shows and club meeting too. My truck has a switch and he can ride with me there but i want him to come in the Z, also he loves the car and just has taking to cars like me its just I,ve never been good with the electrical side of things and could use some help I'm sure i can figure it out so anyone willing to help in anyway please let me know, diagrams or even if you know the wirering and can talk me through it or are just willing to help thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 pm 

Lemans, you've been away so long, Ive forgotten what year and model Z you're driving now.....

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:29 pm 

haha hey frank how you been? its a 2006 350Z i'll probably just pull the dash apart this weekend and just go for it i mean how hard can it be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:55 pm 

Jason :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 pm 

I wouldn't mess with it, personally. Too many things can go wrong (including a stray voltage accidentally triggering the bag). And if you muffed it up, that's a life-saving safety device which wouldn't work in a crash.

I would contact our favorite Nissan dealership in that area, Grossman's Nissan in Old Sayborook. They host our membership meetings frequently and always invite us to contact them for parts, service, or advice. Tell them you're a CTZCC member and that might open a special side door for you. it doesn't matter where you bought the Z (but of course it would help that much more if you bought it from Grossman's!)

Tell them what you want to do and ask if there might be a factory kit already available to achieve that? You can't be the first guy smart enough to think of this!

Even if there is no kit, Grossman's might know how to circumvent the bag or adjust the sensor not to react for any weight below 100 lbs.

Linda Grossman
860-388-5785
295 Midlesex Tnpke
Old Saybrook, CT

Tell 'em you're Keith Hultmark's friend. (Tell us if they hang up on you!) :lol:

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 am 

Frank, pretty much nailed it.. If they do not offer a delete/switch you will most likely be on your own. Too many liability issues to mess with a saftey system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:38 pm 

Mike_G wrote:
Jason :?:

yes mike, how are you? the turbo still running good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:46 pm 

they do offer a system for the car, two places i talked to will not moddify the car its very hard to find a dealer that will put this system in why i do not know then the rest that ive heard people are having problems with the system any way ssoooo what do i do guess i will call this nissan dealer and see if they will do it maybe it will work out i just want to put him in my car and be safe thats all and i did not get to do it as i was cutting down trees this weekend anyways thanks guys for the info i will give them a call

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 pm 

I'm not surpriZed that people are reluctant to disconnect / disable an airbag. In the event of an adult crash, the bag might not prevent a 'second collision'.

But I've heard of a switch which allows you to set the front seat weight high enough so the bag doesn't activate while your 60lb kid is strapped in there. I'll try to find that again (it's been at least a year since I've seen it).

Most city cop cars disconnect their front passenger seat bags as soon as they receive their cars. If you did that to your Z, you would then have to live with the flashing warning light on the instrument panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:20 pm 

Hey Jason, still doing well,
The car has annoying turbine noise. I can't figure out, sounds like its in the back of the car 8)
Cya soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:13 pm 

["Cya soon"]

Z ya soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 pm 

Frank T wrote:
I'm not surpriZed that people are reluctant to disconnect / disable an airbag. In the event of an adult crash, the bag might not prevent a 'second collision'.

But I've heard of a switch which allows you to set the front seat weight high enough so the bag doesn't activate while your 60lb kid is strapped in there. I'll try to find that again (it's been at least a year since I've seen it).

Most city cop cars disconnect their front passenger seat bags as soon as they receive their cars. If you did that to your Z, you would then have to live with the flashing warning light on the instrument panel.

not looking to shut it off pemenitly just when his in the car, my truck has a switch that allows me to turn it on and off with the key and i'm done . nissan has a bladder system which does just that but i believe its 90lbs for some reason just heard people are having problems thats all and i just like the idea of a on/off switch keep it simple I'm sure I'll come up with something thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:33 am 

Maybe find the SRS fuse and pull it. Or unplug one of the impact sensors. Just a thought.