Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:12 pm 

Quick backstory on this car: Found this on Craigslist a few miles from my house. Was a gutted 89 300zx n/a with a roll cage, plexi windows, fab'd dash, headers and lots of performance stuff. Problem was that it hadn't run in about 8-10 years and had been stored outside under a tarp. Many mice have had sex in, on and even inside the actual block, many many mice :? Motor had an unidentifiable carb intake manifold w/ a Holley 4 bbl and a mystery distributor of a non-Nissan variety.
After many hours of research I come to find that the dizzy is out of an early 80's GM 6 cyl crapbox. It had been cut and welded and modified to fit in the OE location. I refreshed it with a new HEI module to trigger an MSD coil. I ordered an appropriate Holley 350CFM 2 bbl performance carb and fab'd a phenolic spacer to tie it all together. After many late nights of wiring and wrenching it all came together this week. Here are a few before & after photos followed by two videos. First video is w/ a vacuum cap off and its rough. Second is after I had asjusted the idle and it warmed up and settled in a bit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:53 pm 

Interested in the mouse sex. What hard evidence do you have? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:03 pm 

Were the remains the cause of the fire? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:08 pm 

hehe, you said "hard" and "sex" hehe...

But seriously, there were tiny condoms littering the inside of the car. Irrefutable evidence in a court of law.

when I first fired the car a giant explosion of nest from inside the muffler blew out the side exit exhaust...in a spectacular array or colors and smoke.
They also ate through the upper hose and burrowed into the thermostat housing (sans thermostat grrrrr :evil: ) and into the actual block and nested in there. I had to pop all the freeze plugs out of the top of the block valley to access it enough to vacuum/flush it out. Thankfully there was no wiring in the car when I got it, so nothing for them to chew on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:08 pm 

Were the remains the cause of the fire? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:29 pm 

nah, that's just carb backfire from there being a vacuum leak, not a big deal.

Found that I didn't have a vacuum cap on all the way. Once I got it figured out, set the idle and the timing, and let it warm up a bit she idled nicer than my 86T w/ 37k on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:42 pm 

You've actually done a very neat clean-up of this engine. It looks professionally done from out here. But why replace the 4-Bbl with a 2-Bbl? You are severely under-carburated now, like an L-28 (actually an "L-30") with two SUs. That 3.0L V-6 should handle a 4-Bbl quite well.
In fact, you *might* get away with an old "TriPower" unit! If a 3.0L L-28 6 cylinder will handle triple Webers (6 throats), this 3.0L V-6 should certainly handle 3 2-Bbl carbs.

Frank

Attachments:
File comment: TriPower ('three deuces') will give you the same volume as triple Webers would give a 3.0L stroker L-28 engine.
TriPower (3x2).jpg
TriPower (3x2).jpg [ 35.83 KiB | Viewed 10300 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:56 pm 

I would have flipped out.

With Frank's comment, I am officially out of the loop (all of that flew way over my head). Good luck gentlemen.

:) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:15 pm 

In his first picture (dirty engine), he has an old 4 barrel carburetor ("4 Bbl") mounted crosswise on top of the engine where the fuel injector would normally sit.
In the second (clean engine) picture, the 4 Bbl has been replaced by a smaller 2 Bbl carb, which gives about 60% of the air/fuel mixture of the 4- Bbl.

Because that V6 engine is a 3.0 liter, it will handle 3 2Bbl carbs (6 throats in all, one for each cylinder). All he has to do is find ( or BUILD roll: ) an intake manifold which will mount three two-barrel carburetors to the V-6 engine. Then he'll have one carburetor throat for each cylinder.

Should go like a rocket!

Attachments:
File comment: Old Ford ESSEX 3.0L V6 handled 3 Webers just fine
Ford-Essex-V6-Engine.jpg
Ford-Essex-V6-Engine.jpg [ 38.87 KiB | Viewed 10285 times ]
File comment: The FIAT Dino had a 2.0L Ferrari V6 engine which handled 3 Webers quite well
1967_Fiat_Dino_2.0_Spider_Engine_1_1.jpg
1967_Fiat_Dino_2.0_Spider_Engine_1_1.jpg [ 50.8 KiB | Viewed 10288 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:57 pm 

Well, as my research has led me to believe as well as talking with "those in the know", these VG30's are a bit over carb'd at 500+. Holley 4 bbls in the 400 CFM range are hard to come by but would be an ideal match. There are a few people on HybridZ running carb'd VG30's in Datsun 510's and they all run the Holley 2 bbl. General sentiment is that a 350CFM carb is more than plenty for anyhting not running radical cams, and actually improves throttle response at both idle and WOT.
But, this is an experiment into the black art of Carburetion and I'm still learning and working out the kinks. We shall see where this ends up, maybe there will be a big 'ol dubble pumper on there soon e'nuff.

Nah :P Most likely gonna yank all this off and convert to EFI in the upcoming weeks. I just wanted to see if it could be done, and if this crazy distributor would run it. There aren't a whole lot people who have done this and even less who have documented it...info is available but would not call it abundant. I'll also be fabricating a few homemade Z31 distributors with S30 reluctor wheels and pickups (as opposed to an optical pick up) to run an old school HEI + coil setup. For those wanting to go carb, this would be the cat's ass and much easier than a standalone or finding the ever-elusive Saudi dizzy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:03 pm 

two links for reference. VG30 w/ same carb as me. seems legit....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dHWtaV2lwM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foI5qvDKmao&feature=relmfu