Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:14 am 

I have a NA vg30e motor and want to build it up im looking to get 300-400hp I know I'm going to have to turbo it but I'm looking for direction and any advice. What do I need to do to the lower end and any other advice. I really have no idea what I'm going to need.please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:29 pm 

Hi Scott ~ if I knew anything about the VG30 engine, I'd be glad to help. Most times when you intend to double a V6 (or V8 ) engine's output, you start by "girdling" the bottom end. But there are plenty of VG30 Gurus in this Club who can tell you lots more details than I can.

I notice this is your first entry ~ welcome! You have an interesting profile (except for the spicy foods :? ). You could have some fun with this Club!

What do you intend to do with your engine, once you get it built up?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:21 pm 

Please allow me to impart some VG30 advice:

1) no need to "build" the motor for your power goals. Provided your motor is in good working condition to begin with, the stock internals can handle in excess of 400hp easily. You have the added benefit of having the higher compression N/A motor which responds to turbocharging incredibly well. No need to crack her open, bolt-on the goodies and go...

2) you will need to turbo to reach your goals as you have already stated. A good choice would be a mid sized T3/T4 variant or one of the Holset varieties (Hx35, Hy35, etc). But there are literally hundreds of different choices which will work well, research will be needed to select a worthy unit.

3) While no one will say that the VG30 heads flow awesome, they do flow well enough to easily support that power. Cams will help but not necesarily "needed". A wise choice would be for a gutted upper plenum and associated exhaust/intake mods

4) fuel: can go on for hours here. Larger injectors necessary which also necessitates some form of fuel management: SDS, Microtech, Nistune, Megasquirt, etc. also a larger fuel pump such a Walbro or other will be needed

5) intercooling: gotta do it but how? That is the torment of the Z31 owner. Seek Z31performance.com for more info.

I'm not sure of how much or how little you know about the Z31 platform so please pardon if some of this is redundant to you. The VG30e is a stout piece: main bearing girdle, 12(?) head bolts per head and lots of other improvements Nissan incorporated into its design. It is the small block Chevy of the import world: used in millions of vehicles over a span of over a decade with few changes. From 300zx's to Pathfinders to Quests to Maximas, many still running today. It is a great perfromance candidate and seems to be gaining in popularity as a swap motor in other applications (Rx-7's, S30's, 510's, S13's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:22 pm 

Please allow me to impart some VG30 advice:

1) no need to "build" the motor for your power goals. Provided your motor is in good working condition to begin with, the stock internals can handle in excess of 400hp easily. You have the added benefit of having the higher compression N/A motor which responds to turbocharging incredibly well. No need to crack her open, bolt-on the goodies and go...

2) you will need to turbo to reach your goals as you have already stated. A good choice would be a mid sized T3/T4 variant or one of the Holset varieties (Hx35, Hy35, etc). But there are literally hundreds of different choices which will work well, research will be needed to select a worthy unit.

3) While no one will say that the VG30 heads flow awesome, they do flow well enough to easily support that power. Cams will help but not necesarily "needed". A wise choice would be for a gutted upper plenum and associated exhaust/intake mods

4) fuel: can go on for hours here. Larger injectors necessary which also necessitates some form of fuel management: SDS, Microtech, Nistune, Megasquirt, etc. also a larger fuel pump such a Walbro or other will be needed

5) intercooling: gotta do it but how? That is the torment of the Z31 owner. Seek Z31performance.com for more info.

I'm not sure of how much or how little you know about the Z31 platform so please pardon if some of this is redundant to you. The VG30e is a stout piece: main bearing girdle, 12(?) head bolts per head and lots of other improvements Nissan incorporated into its design. It is the small block Chevy of the import world: used in millions of vehicles over a span of over a decade with few changes. From 300zx's to Pathfinders to Quests to Maximas, many still running today. It is a great perfromance candidate and seems to be gaining in popularity as a swap motor in other applications (Rx-7's, S30's, 510's, S13's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:38 am 

Thanks guys for your help. That's what i was thinking about the lower end I just need to hear it from someone else. I hope to be able to attend some of the z events this club offers this summer I can't attend spring or fall events because of my job but ill be there this summer.