Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:30 am 

I am not looking to cut/weld adjust etc. I am looking for a moderate drop and stiffer suspension so I can drive my car spirited when I want to and comfort when I don't. Ideally looking at a shock/spring combo that wont break the bank (~$500) and ride well.

Any help is welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 am 

Actually you really don't have too much in the way of choices here. For a moderate drop, Suspension Techniques, Tokico, and Eibach are your spring choices. ST and Tokico are essentially the same....single rate springs that lower you about an inch over stock, and they have essentially the same spring rates. Eibach springs are progressive....they give a slightly softer ride at low compression. They also lower the car about an inch.
In terms of shocks (strut inserts, to be technically correct) your choices for use with lowering springs are also very limited....basically the only stuff being made and easily available are two models of Tokico....the blues and the Illuminas. Illuminas are adjustable for firmness, blues are not adjustable and perform the same as Illuminas on their middle settings.
I have run blues with Tokico springs and polyurethane suspension bushings for many years but it is a harsh setup....performs great though. If I wanted softer I would use Eibach springs with Illuminas. You can get a good price break by buying a full Tokico kit, which includes springs and either blues or Illuminas....readily available in your price range on e-bay. You may have trouble finding Eibach springs, though. While you have your suspension apart, you will probably want to replace the bushings with polyurethane, which will make the handling much more precise feeling but will also harshen the ride.
The ST or Tokico springs will give a slightly harsher ride than Eibach. Personally I would recommend you try to find a set of Eibach springs and use Illuminas.....this can let you set for a pretty comfortable ride but stiffen it up very well with quick adjustments. (The adjustments take just a few seconds, turning a knob on top of the unit) Remember you can also improve handling with a stiffer sway bar up front and by adding a sway bar in the rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 am 

My reason for asking is that the Tokico HPK251 kit has me intrigued. When it comes to progressive or non progressive I would honestly prefer progressive. I have been using them in my VW's for years and like how they ride. They definitely fall within my price range and offer a moderate drop and provide a better ride than stock.

Thoughts on that particular kit? I am not too concerned about the adjustable shocks as long as the ride doesn't feel unbelievably stiff down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 pm 

Seth, don't forget to mention that you've swapped the L24 for a V8. The weight difference up front might alter someone's suggestion.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:31 pm 

That is correct Frank. Although the weight difference is roughly 100lbs and I have removed the a/c compressor, metal bumpers, and have an aluminum radiator so it shouldn't be that different...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:10 pm 

I ended up ordering the Eibachs. Recuperating from lots of car part purchases and then will order shocks