Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:56 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Loud Exhaust
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 pm 

I have a 75 280z which has a fuel injected stock L28. Last year I installed a 3-2 msa header with 2.5" straight run to a performane msa muffler . I may of upped my low end but lost from top end. The real problem is the noise. I know that it's supposed to be louder than stock, but mine seems to be a lot louder. Can any body recommend a good set up that purrs rather than growls like an angry hungry animal ( which is fun sometimes). I thought of possibly reducing back to the stock 2" with stock muffler , leaving the headers on. Or installing a glass packed resonator, which I've been told might not do much if anything. All suggestions are welcome. And would like to say thanks to all for previous stuff.

Last edited by georgev77 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:48 pm 

Go back to the stock manifold. On a stock car, headers have no performance advantage over the stock manifold, they just make more noise. Keep the 2.5 exhaust, it does improve power, but you could fit a quieter muffleer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm 

I was really hoping to not have to get at the header again. Is there a way to keep the headers and work off of that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 pm 

Sure ~ just stick a "city" muffler on the end of what you've got.

I added the MSA 3-2 headers and Twice Pipes to my 240 and love the sound. But you're right ~ all the neighbors moved out.

Mark's right ~ any headers will be louder than the stock manifold. The advantages override any problems they create, tho.

Some owners wrap their headers in hi-temp Header Tape. That serves to deaden the noise while channeling the heat directly into the exhaust pipe, rather than releasing it under the hood. Costly stuff if you do it right, but the noise is toned down noticeably.

Several top-named muffler companies make very good mufflers to fit the Z. I've used Flow Master but thought it sounded FAR too benign, so I swapped to the MSA Twice Pipes and glass packs. I was actually trying to duplicate the old ANSA sound, because they don't make those anymore.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:20 am 

Speaking of loudness: anyone has experience on Dynomax Super turbo muffler on stock pipe? Does it affect on sound etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm 

I too tried the make my own "Twice Pipes" like ANSA. Even had ANSA baffled tips. I was on the "cutting" edge of technolgy. :roll: I even had glass packs, but still kinda loud. So self says to self, "these really don't look all that good, they belong on a V12 Ferrari, not a straight 6" It's not all that IMO. So I still have the glass packs, and after that Y'd into a 3" outlet using a Trust muffler. It had 3" inlet and outlet and it was small. The baffled tip may also help. The sound I have now is perfect to my ear. Not loud, but a nice throughty sound, that's music to my ears. Also improved the low end via more back pressure. Have a look. Patent Pending. :D The only improvements I'd do, is a quick connect to the headers. It is nice to pull this all out of the way when doing a transmission or drive line work. Besides that point it does come out fairly easy. I also have gotten better at welding, so that would be an improvement. (no comments, please :P ) The only other thing is to have it more on the side of the diffy. The exhaust may be more than I need "now," but when I put the L28 in later, the N42 has square ports, I'm all set. :D

Attachments:
S6300540.JPG
S6300540.JPG [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 4348 times ]
S6300546.JPG
S6300546.JPG [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 4348 times ]
S6300544.JPG
S6300544.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 4348 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 pm 

Here's an example of Paul's old (self-made) exhaust. He's driving the white 240Z, 3rd in line. You can hear him from @0:11 to @0:14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqzOYNqieA

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 am 

I'm loving it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm 

I just installed a resonator today. Really simple solution. Sounds great !! So my setup consist of 3-2-1 msa headers to a vibrant ultra quit resonator to a msa dynomax performance exhaust, all 2.5 piping. Thanks everybody ... Your posted pics and vids are great. Actually my exhaust does sound like the third white z in the vid, but toned down a level or two. Thanks again