Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Cold Air Intakes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:18 pm 

I am considering adding a cold air intake to my 2008 G37 coupe. I want to get a bolt and one that is not too involved to install. I am looking at the Stillen Gen 2 Long tube dual intake. It has a K&N filter which uses oil technology. I'm also looking at takeda cold air intake which uses a dry air technology.

I'm wondering what the pro's and con's are of each technology are and if anyone has experiences with either brand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:16 pm 

Dry filters are generally "better" from a certain standpoint. Sometimes they're not as easy to clean, though, and this poses a problem with reusability if the thing is really filled up with dirt, leaves, insects, raccoons, etc.

So... why is it better than a "more" cleanable, wet filter element? Wet filters are just that. Wet. In order for them to provide years of reliable service you have to periodically clean the element and then wet it down with the special oil you buy (from K&N etc). Buying one of the little spray bottles isn't that bad of an expense once in a while in itself. Unfortunately, all of that oil doesn't stay on the filter through normal operational use. Some of it gets sucked through the filter and aerosols into the intake. In a MAF sensor controlled car, like most vehicles are these days (and as far as I know, the G37 does), this can hasten the fouling of the sensors. The only thing that should pass through the plenum is fuel and air, anyways.

Buying a new MAF sensor is rarely fun. Usually a triple digit not-fun. If the cold air intake places the filter in an area that's tucked away and out of a road debris killzone, I'd say go with a dry element. Also, if said area is in a very low altitude location, and you like driving in puddles, consider also getting an air filter bypass valve(if your kit doesn't include one). This will prevent your thirsty engine from hydrolocking itself through its new sippy straw.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:26 am 

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:59 am 

So far I have not been impressed. I just removed the one from Acura, and I have more pep with the original air cleaner. Same for my 83 Turbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 am 

Paul, What brand did you have? Was the filter in good condition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:23 pm 

paul.mackin wrote:
So far I have not been impressed. I just removed the one from Acura, and I have more pep with the original air cleaner. Same for my 83 Turbo.

"More pep" can be somewhat subjective. Depending on engine tuning and intake design, an upgraded intake rather tends to move the power band. This may sacrifice low end torque/hp at lower RPMs, and instead give greater ability once the engine gets closer to redline. Or it can do the opposite. They usually won't have a (massively) pronounced effect with an untuned motor in stock condition either. It depends on multiple factors. Bad design can also be a cause, but usually not from the more reputable companies.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 am 

I'll leave it to the company that designed it in the first place. I bought one from Auto Zone brand new for the 83T. Didn't like the sound it made, sounded like it was starving for air. Well after all the 280zx already has a cold air intake, so back to original. Then on the Acura, yes, it just robbed my bottom end torque. Don't need it at top end either, I have a variable lift intake manifold, (factory) which gives it a wide high end torque range.

Post subject: air intake
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 pm 

Adding a cold air intake is a good idea and hopefully you find something that fits your Coupe. If in any case you didn't find anything, you can use an alternative ram air intake.