Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:52 pm 

so i will try to provide as much info as possible, it started about a week ago... when i started my car the battery light came on very dim everyday for a few days, when i started moving it would go off and everything was fine, i sensed that i had an alt issue but then the light stopped coming on. thursday of last week i had some tire issues and had to leave it in a lot for about 1 hr turned off of course, i came back to it fixed the tires issue and drove about a mile down the road to a gas station. when i came out, my car wouldnt start, so i got a jump, drove 1/4 mile up the road and decided to give it some gas to try to give the battery some charge but the c ar bogged down to where it felt like i was only firing on two cylinders so i let off and coasted home the other 3/4 mile got into my driveway and pushed the gass while in neutral and the rpms didnt move and everything electrical shut off. soheres what i did. : pulled the alternator got it tested, it passed, charged my battery, got that tested, passed, put everything back in and it was ok, drove to work and as soon as i got of the highway after about 12 minutes the light came on again, when i got out it started and got me home and then to work again today where the battery died on the parkway but the car drove fine but it wouldnt start again in the lot so i had anothe battery from my other car brought to me, went to advanced, had a load test done at idle, and it said no charge was getting to the battery, sorry about the essay please help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:55 pm 

oh and i have an hks twin power ignition system idk if i need a higher powered alternator to support it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:22 am 

JJ ~
(You gotta keep telling people this is a naturally-aspirated '91 ZX).

When you said the car "wouldn't start" after sitting, did it turn over and not catch or did it not even turn over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:53 pm 

it turned over once and then just made a clicking noise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:48 pm 

OK, that makes it easier. The clicking means the battery no longer has enough charge left to operate the starter. This can be a temporary condition.

If your alternator and battery both checked out OK when you tested them, there are only a handful of possibilities you need to examine further.

1. Is the alternator belt tight enough not to slip?

2. The battery is only supposed to start the car, then the alternator is supposed to take over and supply electricity to run the engine and operate any electrical devices you turn on. It is also supposed to replace the small charge the battery lost while it operated the starter.
"Something" is preventing your GOOD alternator from recharging your GOOD battery and supplying enough electricity to operate your running engine. Your battery is doing all the work, for as long as it lasts. Then everything quits. You're running off the battery until the battery drains itself. The alternator is supposed to be doing the work, not the battery. Because both your battery and alternator checked out OK, that means the alternator is making plenty of electricity, but it's just not getting to the battery, or else the battery is draining as soon as you turn the car off.

3. Personally, I know nothing about the 3.0L V6 electronics systems. But basically, there should be an electrical device (called a cutout relay on other cars), which interrupts the charging circuit btwn the alternator and the battery when you turn the engine off. That prevents the battery from discharging thru the alternator to ground. If that's not working, your battery will drain to death each time the car is shut off.

4. There should also be some electronic device which allows the electricity which the alternator generates, to be used for the purposes it is needed for (recharging the battery, operating the engine ignition, running the fans, A/C, radio, lights, horn, etc). If that device is not working, your GOOD alternator can't send electricity to anything. (Picture it like a house faucet turned off ~ you can't get water thru your garden hose until the faucet is turned on, even tho there's plenty of water available).

5. Fuses are placed in-line along most electrical wire routes, to prevent damage to electrical devices. If a fuse blows, your charging circuit can be interrupted. Check your fuse box (especially the CHARGE fuse) to ensure they are all functional. Replace any which look odd or are obviously burned. Be sure to replace each fuse with the correct value fuse (marked on the fuse bridge in big numbers).

6. If any of your wires are frayed or touching ground, that short can drain the battery and (if it's in a crucial location) shunt enough electricity from the alternator straight to ground, depriving the ignition system of the electricity it needs to run reliably. Wiggle your wire harnesses and examine any suspicious areas which might be letting bare wires touch metal.

Other members will also have some input. I don't own a ZX. These are just basic hints.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:27 pm 

thanks frank those were very helpful steps. there is communication between the battery and alternator. i can read the power from the battery by testing at the alternator... now im down to the connection for the regulator from the harness any tips on testing that now that my alt is once again out of my car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 pm 

Nosir ~ not from me. Actually, I'm thinking all the ZX alternators might have been internally regulated (with diodes) instead of with an external regulator. I know you said your alternator checked out OK (tested good), but if they only tested the output, that could just mean the charging parts are working OK. If it's internally regulated, maybe a diode is fried and it's letting the battery discharge back thru the alternator after the car is turned off? Just guessing.

But I'm talking about ZX carz FAR beyond my own personal experience. I stick with the 240 because it's simple.

Anybody else have some input to help JJ?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:19 am 

Do you need a copy of the 300ZX Factory service Manual? I have it on disk and I can make you a copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:37 pm 

You can get the downloadable version here -->

http://www.xenonz32.com/reference.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:34 pm 

check the starter relay located under the driver's side wheel well.

We replace 1 out of 5 300zxs starter relays that come into the shop. This is very common. After 20 +/- yrs the starter relay has just worn out.

we have them in stock.

Also the main power harness that leads to the starter and the main ground are subject to failure due to corrosion at this point as well.

We actually just replaced one on a 91 last month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:23 am 

(JJ, you've got to get to know RDZ in Danbury. They are the area's premier service Gurus for the ZX cars. In fact, our next meeting is there, on Wed/13July. Free food! Z carz! Friendly members! Everything's free! :wink:)

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 pm 

thanks everyone for your help i fixed the problem it was my alternator, i had it check a second time and it failed so i replaced it. i cleaned up the wiring on my ignition system and it ran great for about one day, then i drove 10 highway miles and when i got off i heard a knock, i spun the bearsing on the rod, so she is now parked. i am now looking to by a reliable car for cheap, and will be getting estimates for an engine rebuild or a swap. i wouldve been at this meeting at rdz but had to pick up hrs at work. i will have to get down there soon to get an estimate. hope its a good turn out tomorrow it wouldve been a great first meet for my z
-thanks again hope to meet everyone soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:54 pm 

:cry: