Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:36 am 

I've seen MPG increases claims with aftermartket intakes for years and for many different vehicle types, even on the Chrysler Pacifica forums. I've considered putting one in my wifes Pac, she averages 17.4 MPG....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:56 am 

Do you guys honestly think that Nissan engineers left cheap easy horsepower on the drawing board when they designed these intake systems? Be for real. The puffery of the K&N advertisements borders on fraud.I haven't looked at the intakes for the 350 or 370, but I'm guessing that they ARE already cold air intakes, as they were way back on the 280ZX's. If K&N engineers could do that much better than Nissan engineers, Nissan would hire them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 pm 

Mark C wrote:
Do you guys honestly think that Nissan engineers left cheap easy horsepower on the drawing board when they designed these intake systems? Be for real. The puffery of the K&N advertisements borders on fraud.I haven't looked at the intakes for the 350 or 370, but I'm guessing that they ARE already cold air intakes, as they were way back on the 280ZX's. If K&N engineers could do that much better than Nissan engineers, Nissan would hire them.

no but i am sure like every car manufacturer they have to abide by strict regulations. so i am sure the intakes are designed for maximum power under those restrictions. and not to mention cost. plastic and rubber are cheap. why would cold air intake systems exist if they didn't do something better than your stock set up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:13 pm 

Manufacturers DO indeed under build and rate their engines to comply with emissions, insurance and federal regulations. How else to explain how a 3.0 liter Z32 turbo engine has a rated 300hp from the factory but is EASILY bolt-on modified to produce over 600hp?

In fact the Nissan GTR has been shown to have more hp stock than rated, same for the new Mustang Boss 302, Z06 Corvette, etc.

So what you get "rated" with your new car may not be "actual". And yes, while certainly exaggerated by manufacturers, a CAI on a Z will give you a little more hp.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:19 pm 

ZCARNUT wrote:
Manufacturers DO indeed under build and rate their engines to comply with emissions, insurance and federal regulations. How else to explain how a 3.0 liter Z32 turbo engine has a rated 300hp from the factory but is EASILY bolt-on modified to produce over 600hp?

In fact the Nissan GTR has been shown to have more hp stock than rated, same for the new Mustang Boss 302, Z06 Corvette, etc.

So what you get "rated" with your new car may not be "actual". And yes, while certainly exaggerated by manufacturers, a CAI on a Z will give you a little more hp.

thanks John for making me feel smarter. this was just my opinion and was thinking it sounded correct. i heard the GTR did in fact push more than what was RATED. so you are spot on there. so looks like you and I are on the same page here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:39 pm 

That ploy was used during the late 1960s and early 70s for American muscle cars. Some cars produced so many horses (mild by today's standards) that the insurance companies considered them as hazardous. InsCo argued that if you drove a car this powerful, you WERE going to have a collision, so you were a risk to them. They charged incredible prices to insure some of the muscle cars. So the car companies deliberately used a lower hp figure (DIN horsepower or SAE horsepower instead of true Brake Horspower) to cheat the insurance companies. Street talk called it "insurance" horsepower. Carl would probably remember some of the numbers better than I do, but I recall monster cars such as the big-block Corvettes, TransAms or FireBirds being rated at "150" hp (or so).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm 

yep and the 426 HEMI was said to push way more than what is was rated at too. for the same reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:30 pm 

A "Short Ram" intake is the term for a shortened intake setup that puts the filter as close to the throttle as possible in the engine bay. A Cold Air Intake is generally much longer and is made to grab air from outside the engine bay. Why would Nissan possibly underrate and "choke" usable performance out of the engine? Besides the insurance reasons mentioned, cold air intakes are often more prone to clogging by moisture or outright sucking up deep puddles of water depending on their placement. Those plastic air boxes on stock intakes also reduce engine noise for rider comfort. Most auto manufacturers are going to build a car to suit the masses, and if a buyer wants to go balls-to-the-wall performance they can have at it after the purchase. Otherwise the car is built more likely to suit everyone else.

Also consider the old "gentleman's agreement" that Japanese car makers had which limited cars produced to 276hp. There were some sneaky ways of getting around this though...

Don't think that cold air intakes work and you need to see some empirical data? You're in luck. DSPORT magazine just did a large aftermarket intake and exhaust test series on a Nissan Cube (don't ask) in their July and August issues. Gains were usually around 5hp over stock. As I said before though, that power gain may or may not appear on one area of the power band, but not another. The only way I can see gaining 45hp by adding a high flow intake would be if you built the engine itself for a high number to begin with, because gains from the intake are not likely to be one flat number but a percentage.

DSPORT is one of the only tuner magazines I've read that actually focuses most attention onto the technical aspects of cars, rather than bodykits and booming stereos.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:37 pm 

http://dsportmag.com/