Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Oil Pan
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:47 pm 

I have a few days off next month and will replace the oil pan gasket in the 280Z as I have a leak .Not sure if that's it but I'll start there. I have read that #1 at TDC is all you need to do to drop the pan while others have said to jack up the motor a bit. Also I have a cork gasket, should I use a sealer with it or put it back dry ? I hope it's not the rear main seal as that's beyond me. Thanks,Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:18 pm 

Position of the motor is irrelevant. Its a tight fit, but you can remove the oil pan just by going under the car. Every time I've put on an oil pan gasket I put at least a light film of right stuff gasket maker, let it harden for just a few minutes, and installed the pan while it was tacky. I've never had a leak with this method.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:52 pm 

Thanks Phrog.

Post subject: oil pan
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:58 pm 

i my experience with leaking pans on my 260z i had to jack the motor up to remove the pan. it makes no difference what position your crank is in. also i would use a cork gasket with plenty of permitex.i found it much easier just to remove the motor and flip it over to change the gasket, if you have a chain fall. mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 pm 

Remove your oil dipstick when installing pan back. It gets in the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:24 am 

Jim

I never worried about crank position or jacking either. Just don't squash the cork gasket too much or you'll be right back where you started. Are you using synthetic oil? It's my impression (both 1st hand and heresay) that it finds it'z way out of the engine thru places where organic oil would'nt. The rear main seal iz'nt too complicated,just a lot of work(good time for a clutch if you go that route tho).
Best of luck.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:41 am 

Running just regular oil . Going to try this first before a rear main seal as that is somthing I have never done much less pull a transmission. Not afraid to try I just don't know what I'm doing . Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:03 pm 

Does anyone know the size and pitch of the drain plug on a 77. Goes in finger tight until about halfway then need a wrench for a few turns and gets loose again. I may need to clean up the threads as it does drip a bit. JIm

Post subject: Re: oil pan
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:16 pm 

michael engelhardt wrote:
i my experience with leaking pans on my 260z i had to jack the motor up to remove the pan. it makes no difference what position your crank is in. also i would use a cork gasket with plenty of permitex.i found it much easier just to remove the motor and flip it over to change the gasket, if you have a chain fall. mike

heyyyyyy he's back! good to see you on the forum Mike! I don't wanna hijack this tread but I just have to tell ya Mike I've covered a couple hundred miles this weekend in an amazingly beautiful weather, saturday with a friend who needed a friend and today with my wife. She (the 260..) is purrrrrring and happy. She's got new floors and stuff like that.

when changing oil pan gasket remember to retighten after a while!! i started to have a major leak and was a bit worried until I checked the oil pan bolts and I could turn most of them 1,5-2 turns with my fingers! tightened them and the leak was gone (i didn't even change the gasket, just retighten)