Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 am 

so here's the next issue.. Today as I drove into a parking lot I stopped, put in the reverse and then just out of the blue there's a kind of an unusual "clonk" sound. Then I could reverse into the spot without a problem (there was some unusual sound when I reversed but I only reversed a couple of seconds so I didn't get a chance to know what it was). A few hours later I had to move the car so: out of the spot then put in the reverse again, no clonk this time but at first the reverse didn't engage at all. I was on a slight hill so the car moved backwards a little and as it did that the reverse gear went in and I could reverse it. This time around there was no unusual noise though.

Any ideas what might be the cause of this problem? I've had no problems with the tranny before, have checked the oil and there's enough of it and it's new. The only thing that has changed in the last few days is that the idle speed is a little higher than before (I noticed the throttle didn't fully open when the pedal was all the way down, and as the travel of the pedal wasn't big enough to open the throttle from full close to full open, I basically removed the nut from underneath the pedal, and adjusted the linkage so that I had the best compromise meaning the throttle would open almost fully and at close position was just slightly open (this gives me a normal idle speed still)
Could change in idle speed or vacuum make the reverse reluctant to engage?

hoping the box is not dying... (was hoping to drive this season with it and look for a 5-speed to install that next winter)