Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:40 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Struts for 1976 280Z
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:43 pm 

My 1976 Z has about 43,000 miles on it and I am betting that it still has the original struts. I want to put a new set in it that is as close to original as possible. I am not looking to make any "performance" enhancements.
I just want to improve the "squishy" ride.
Anybody know what I should order?
Also, what else needs to be replaced while this job is being done? Mounts? Bushings?
Thank you for your help, Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm 

Get the Tokico "blue" non-adjustable gas struts from MSA (thezstore.com). They're great. Its not going to be any sort of "wild" performance modification, as the strut cartridges are actually housed inside your struts and therefor invisible. It costs about $70 per corner if I remember right, and they're much better than the stock oil shocks. You probably won't find a better deal for classic Z struts anywhere than the Tokicos. All you have to do when you pop the strut out really is take the old gland nut off and there are new ones supplied with the struts. Now, I'm simplifying the process. There are a few procedures you can follow depending what degree you want to take the suspension apart. Your shocks are probably worn too, I'd recommend going with the Eibach Progressive springs, as it will tighten the car a bit more, but at the same time the car won't have you peeing blood later that afternoon from destroying your kidneys. They're nice and smooth for daily driving, but have a good degree of stiffness for when you really want to tear up the corners during spirited driving. The springs will also lower your car maybe an inch at most, and the '76 certainly has the room to spare.

When it comes to bushings and whatnot, it depends how far you want to go. I personally disassembled my entire suspension, cleaned and painted every part before putting them back on. I replaced all the bushings with polyurethane from Energy Suspension. The old rubber bushings are a large source of squeaks and squishy handling. This [the polyurethane bushings] tightened the car up to where it should be. I highly recommend getting a haynes manual for the car for a lot of these maintenance procedures if you plan to do them yourself, or look at this writeup which helped me install my shocks/springs/bushings. Its deceptively simple. http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/suspension.htm

Good luck. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:04 pm 

Do not overlook the steering rack bushings. Replace them with polyurethane versions. That is the first thing that ANY Z should have upgraded. PhrogZ46's advice is spot on.