Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:33 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:42 pm 

Looks great! What gauges are you running, fuel, water temp, oil pressure, oil temp, speedo, tach, voltmeter, boost and a/f ratio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:42 pm 

Awesome looking information circles! I would be admiring the beautiful gauges as I drove right off the road. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:49 pm 

Pretty much the equivalent of all the stock gauges. Speedo, Tach, Fuel level, Oil pressure, Voltmeter, Coolant Temp, plus a Boost/Vacuum and Air/Fuel Ratio. The air/fuel gauge is something I bought from autozone a while back for cheap. Speedhut sells some really nice ones, both wideband and narrowband, and they use a pointer needle instead of digital numbers or colored lights. I'm also thinking about a fuel pressure gauge, since its electronic I can safely run it inside the cabin unlike the mechanical one I have. I didn't order those this time because I was trying to keep costs down.

I forgot to mention but if you guys are really attached to your current gauge layout, speedhut also makes dial kits. What this means is that you can keep the current gauge internals, but instead of being weakly lit by those green bulbs the numbers glow. Looks EXACTLY like the stock gauges during the day. The only problem is that by keeping your current gauge internals you retain their (in)accuracy, and the needles won't light up at night with the rest of the gauge which may make them harder to see.

Edit: And they're on sale until the 15th of April, which is why I bought them now. If you're interested in them, its time to pony up! :)

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:53 am 

You, my friend, miss helicopters.
And I'm quite impressed by this instrument display.

The odometer appears digital. Can you preset it, so it picks up where your old odometer left off, or do you have to start building miles from "0"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:04 am 

Well I think I know who is installing gauges for me. Awesome job!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:52 am 

Frank T wrote:
You, my friend, miss helicopters.
And I'm quite impressed by this instrument display.

The odometer appears digital. Can you preset it, so it picks up where your old odometer left off, or do you have to start building miles from "0"?

You nailed it right on the head. We were trained to look over the pilots' shoulders at intervals and check to make sure all the gauges were "in the green" or whenever something sounded out of the norm. Sometimes the pilots themselves weren't even paying full attention and you had to remind them exceeding 125%Nr was a bad thing. I hate not being able to trust my gauges, and since I can't "walk to the back" and open the engine bay while I'm on the highway, I need to. I hated seeing my speedometer and tach bounce, , not being sure what 100,000 number my odometer was at and I couldn't stand wondering if if the pointer halfway on my oil pressure really meant 45psi. Now I should have some accuracy, and if I get into trouble, a bright red LED to let me know.

The only thing that bothered me about the install. Well, one of two. the second being that I should have ordered some extra daisy chains to reach the A pillar pod (which is why my boost and oil are in the radio hole). The instructions for calibrating the speedometer don't say anything about inputting mileage. I still have lots of playing to do with them, maybe I'll figure it out. But I do plan on contacting speedhut about it. Maybe I could have asked them to program it in when I bought them, since they're basically made to order.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:33 pm 

I just talked with speedhut. Although I didn't read it on their site (or maybe I missed it), when you order your speedometer you can put a note in the order for them to custom code your mileage into it. Otherwise (as in my situation) you can send the gauge back for $10 plus shipping fee and they will encode it for you.

-Chris