Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Fuel & Tank
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:11 pm 

There are a lot of technical data in the z-literature but I cannot find precise data relating fuel capacity of early Z's. Are there differences among the early series?

:?

Thorsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:21 pm 

Thorsten,

I'm sure yu already have this site bookmarked, but in caase you don't here it is.

http://www.xenons30.com/

The owner has accumulated a large number of Datsun/Nissan reference manuals including the factory service manuals for most Z models. The manuals can be found on the reference tab and are PDF files that are downloadable. These are the best reference materials you can read on your "new" Z and I'm sure the answer to your question is there.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:43 pm 

For 1969-70 cars, it was 60.0 liters (15.75 gal).

The original prototype car had a larger tank. Datsun wanted the Z to be able to drive long distances on American highways.

But research and road testing determined the differential had to be moved backwards a small amount on the production cars. For safety, Datsun decided to make the tank smaller (60 liters) to allow more space between the differential and the fuel tank. They didn't want the tank to hit the differential if the car was hit from behind.

But making the tank smaller meant less travel radius between refueling. In order to maintain the same mileage as they got from the larger prototype fuel tank, Datsun engineers lightened the production car by removing more than 100lbs (50kg) of metal from the car.

The result was a 2200lb, nimble, quick little Sports/GT car which everyone loved..........and we still do! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:47 am 

There are very minor differences among the early series - if by "early series" you mean cars produced between Oct. 69 and about Feb. 70. One difference is that many of the very early cars were not equipped with Gasoline Vapor Control, and thus the gas tank had no vent nor return line for that system.

If you mean Series I - as the early series - then there were no significant differences. For that matter the gas tanks for all 240Z's are the same 70 though the 73 Model Year.

FWIW,
Carl B.