Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Sea Foaming
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:38 pm 

Has anyone seafoamed thier Z?

More importantly has anyone done an older 240Z- 280Z?

I'm wondering if its worth doing to my 1972 240Z?

First Owned - New 72' GREEN 240Z
2nd Owned - Used BLUE 74' 260Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:20 pm 

I have no idea what that means. Please educate me?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:16 pm 

Seafoam is a cleanser you introduce to your engine via a vacuum port and/or through the gas tank which cleans off oil crud, etc and produces a very impressive cloud of smoke unitl it is burned off. I understand that most people call the local fire department before performing the "cleansing".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:22 pm 

Sea Foam is an additive used to decarbon engines. can be used in fuel systems ect.
Ive been told to steer clear of this kind of product. Its caustic not friendly to exhaust/intake seals..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:59 pm 

Thanks. Never done it, altho it sounds effective if you have lots of mosquitoes in your yard. We used to achieve the same effect with STP carb cleaner. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:28 am 

I used it on my 82. I sucked 1/3 of the bottle through the fuel pressure regulator vacuum port.

You warm the engine up,
Suck in the sea foam - I put a funnel on the vacuum tube so I could modulate the flow
Keep the engine rev'd a little so it won't stall
When you're nearly done with your 1/3 of the bottle, let it suck a lot and stall out
Wait a little while
Start it up and go for an enthusiastic drive

Some people split the rest of the bottle between the crank case and fuel tank (but if you do that - change the oil soon).

It does produce a bunch of smoke, but certainly not enough to call the fire dept about. Did I notice any benefit? I guess so, but truthfully its hard to say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:42 am 

I seafoamed my Porsche 944 a few years ago and saw minimal, if any, improvement. I think that the only benefit you might see from seafoaming a car is perhaps helping to clean fuel injectors. I would think that you would do just as well to clean the carb jets and needles and float valves with a spray can of carb cleaner for your car.
I never believed the seafoam claims about removing carbon buildup from combustion chambers and the backs of valves. I tried using seafoam straight from the can as a cleaner on the backside of a caked valve and it was essentially useless. Of course the valve wasn't hot, reciprocating, and bathed in fuel and exhaust vapor during my test bet nevertheless I remain pretty cynical. Carbon build up is hard to get off with chisels and steel wool.

Post subject: Seafoam..?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:23 am 

Well sounds like it might be a waste of time. I'll stick to using carb cleaner.

I was hoping it would clean out my valves etc.....but I'm note sure I want to put my 39 year old car through the process.

Thanks for your quick responces. :D

First Owned - New 72' GREEN 240Z
2nd Owned - Used BLUE 74' 260Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:49 pm 

I'll stand by seafoam until I see my engine explode from it. I put 1/3 in my oil, 1/3 in my gas tank, 1/3 introduced through my brake booster line while the engine was running. GREAT stuff. The hesitation I was having went away, and I'm willing to bet I gained back a few MPG's. No gasket issues yet, and its been over 700 miles. I changed my oil after 300 miles of running it, but I could have gone to 500 as recommended. If used properly, this stuff should clean a good amount of carbon out of your engine (and produce a decent smoke show, depending on the buildup!).

I will be running this through the engine again, probably after a few oil changes.

-Chris

Post subject: 240Z with Su results
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:55 pm 

I used Seafoam on my '70 240 last summer. I attached a vacuum hose to the top of the balance tube between the carbs along with a tiny funnel.

I think it said to pour about 1/3 of the can in and them shut engine down for a few minutes. So I revved the throttle up, but steady as I poured it in and finally let it bog down and stall. I let it soak for about 5 minutes.

It's supposed to smoke like crazy on startup, but mine only smoked a tiny bit. So I repeated it , let it sit and it did really smoke hard out the exhaust for about 1 minute when I reatarted. I think I did it a 3rd time but I can't remember. I think it did make the engine rev a bit smoother on thew road but I can't really remember for some reason.

One downside though: I have a Fel-Pro intake/exhaust gasket and the Sea Foam stained the edges of the gasket around the intake manifold runners where they attach to each intake port on the head. Maybe I used too much and the gasket soaked it up, but I later changed out the whole gasket to get rid of the 'rings' around the ports.

1970 240Z - enhanced F54 L28 w/P90, Weber DCOEs, 4:11 R200, Nissan T5 5-speed