Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: shocks going
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:00 pm 

i need new shocks any idea what brand or shocks i should get

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:16 pm 

Allan- you did not mention the year or model of your car. If it's a 240 or 260, you can look at Tokico or KYB, both carried by MSA and many others. If you have lowered springs, you cannot use KYB. I am installing Tokico HP's on my car right now - I have lowered springs. Also, with lowered springs, don't overlook bump stops. Hope this helps.

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:44 pm 

Jim, I know why Allan's beautiful 300ZX needs shocks ~ he's big enough to go bear huntin' with a switch! Some First-Round draft pick NFL linemen would look up to him! I don't know how he fits into that car!:lol: He looks like Police Academy's HIGHTOWER getting into a Volkswagen!

Allan, get a set of shocks off one of those big green military 6-by-6 transport trucks and that should keep your Z from dragging on the ground!

Frank T

Last edited by Frank T on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 pm 

LOL yeah i rather hunt with a pointy stick and also the car is stock and also looking for a smooth ride

lol yeah sorry i for got that info i was at work lol when i did the post its a 1990 na

hmmm well frank your armed forces can you get me the shocks lol im sure you still have some connections lol

also what about struts like i said i just want a smooth ride no more hammering over every bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 am 

Tokico makes good adjustable shocks with coilover springs. They're available thru MotorSport Auto (MSA). You can set them or adjust them to the ride you want ~ self adjustable whenever you change your mind. They cost a bit more than some others do (don't have my catalogue in front of me), but they're worth it and look distinctive, too.

Just a word of warning about changing Z shocks on your own ~ The early Zs used McPherson and Champan struts......both were compressed while on the car, and under considerable pressure. As soon as they are released they shoot open with tremendous force. Anything in the way gets TERMINATED ~ fenders, feet, hands, heads, eyes. A strut compressor locks onto the outside of the coil spring and prevents the strut from exploding open when removed from the car. Buy one before beginning.

I don't care how big you are; having a shock strut sticking out of your chest will spoil your whole day.

I don't know if the 300Zx cars changed to a better system or not, but you had better find out before you try changing them yrslf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:18 pm 

well i was looking at my black auto dragon mag and apperently they used shocks but i was wondering what would be better struts or shocks also i Am taking it to performance shop to do the job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:07 am 

I highly recommend Vinny Bedini or RDZ (Research & Development for the Z). Both are our Club sponsors and both do superior jobs.

Happily, both are just North of you!

On our Homepage, press their advertiZements to get their address and phone.