Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:02 pm 
Hi guys. It turns out I might wind up with a Z-car after all. :D I have a compromise with the mother, and her driveway.

I need some help identifying this Z before I get there. The seller isn't quite sure what the specifics are, as it was passed down after someone passed.

I need to know what I should be looking for in this car. I'm already good at finding rust, and interior problems, but what are the idiosyncracies of this Z?

Can anyone tell if the wheels pictured are 15's?

Here are the pictures:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:07 pm 
84-85 non turbo. 4 lug, 15x6.5

^^ does that sound right to everyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:23 am 

Hi again!

I'm not familiar with those particular wheels, but the rest of the description sounds right. The hood says "non turbo" and the body says 'mid-eighties', but I don't see any rust, and that's usually the way I identify these cars :roll:.

Check the entire rear quarter of the car for Tinworms, especially under the rear hatch. Deteriorated exhaust systems are not important and are NOT a good reason to decide about the purchase. See if the car has the very rare digital dashboard ~ if it does, see how much of it still works, especially at night. The L28 engine, 5spd box and R200 diff are pretty much bulletproof ~ so much so that they are sought after for upgrade swaps by us 240 owners.

As with any Z, the front frame rails are all-important, since everything attaches to them ~ engine, suspension, steering, swaybar, seats.

I wouldn't let any single item deter me from buying a Z unless it was total rust-thru in vital areas. Parts are now pretty easy to get and you have friends in here who might be able to help.

GOOD LUCK!
Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 am 

Frank T wrote:
...The L28 engine, 5spd box and R200 diff are pretty much bulletproof ~ so much so that they are sought after for upgrade swaps by us 240 owners...

That thing is going to have an N/A VG30 engine in it if they didn't take it out. I don't know how easy it would be to drop an L28 into it, but even with the L series engines' ruggedness I can't see it being a viable swap. The NA VG30 is however pretty underpowered in that Z31, if I remember right, so it'll need a bit of massaging to bring it up to par.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:52 pm 
I'm still waiting for the seller to get back to me so I can see the car in person.

Thanks frank for the knowledge on what to look for.

Hopefully it'll be in decent condition, but I'm a little worried. The price seems too good to be true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:20 pm 

It looks like it's in great shape from here. Hopefully it looks as good underneath and under the hood. Does Sunny know about it yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:42 pm 
I'm waiting for her to finish her final exams before I even begin to talk about it. Two more days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:07 am 
Just spoke with the owner, and setup a time to see it tomorrow.

It's in running condition, he just replaced the hoses, alternator, and distributor. He says it runs great, and he is sad to let it go. He just put new rear tires on, and says the front ones have quite a bit of life left.

The rust is localized to the rear portion of the car, on the fenders. He said that it's just bubbles, but that's yet to be seen.

No digital-dash, all interior lights work. Still has the original R12 A/C system, but no r12 is charged in it, because the MD state inspection made him get the system discharged.

He needs money right now, and he doesn't need a second car. He's into Z's and he's glad to be selling it to someone who knows and appreciates them.

It's registered, tagged, and inspected. Clean title, and ready to be sold.

Here's the kicker: $1000, and it sounds like he'd take less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 pm 

JUMP ON THAT! :shock:

The rust in the rear area is expected, and you can expect to find a bit more hidden here and there. But for that money, you can afford to do a LOT of repair work if it becomes necessary. Even if you decide to drive it a single year, you could sell the bones for more than that.

Just make sure the numbers on the title match the ones on the car. Driver's door build-plate, windscreen VIN plate and firewall VIN inscription (by the power brake booster) all have to be the same VIN and that has to be the number on the title, or else you're buying a bunch of assembled parts which the DMV won't let you register.

Wow. Some people just get hit with the Lucky Stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:17 pm 

That's interestinmg, the state made him discharge his AC because it used R12?? Sounds like big brother has gotten bigger in Maryland...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:35 pm 
The guy sold it out from under me.

I guess someone offered him more than he was asking, as opposed to just the asking price.

Oh well, win some, lose some. I'll get a Z one of these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:29 am 

Ohhh, mannnn ~ the exact same thing happened to our member Gary in MA just a month or two ago. He's still bummed about it. I'm sorry to hear that.
Better luck next time.
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:52 am 

Yea, I hate when that happens. :twisted: I too, lost out on a 73 240 not to long ago myself. Hey, my old 81 is for sale, I know the car in and out. It's in Vernon CT. Needs a final paint, mechanicaly sound, and I have some parts to even better some areas, (cheap, since my old car)

Post subject: Bummed out, NO MORE!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:52 pm 

Hi All........

Sorry for your loses Paul and Awptickes, as AJ says good things come to those who wait!! I've waited long enough and been disappointed often enough, finally my finances, and my searching coincided, and was able to buy my new Z!
My first z31, 86' Nissan 300 zx, 10 yrs. newer than my 280! Hope I got a good deal on her? My summertime project. Needs work, but at least I don't have a car loan to pay back!!!!
This is how I found her on 6/3/09, in Lexington, Mass........

BG!- The New Prowler

Attachments:
new-260Z 103.jpg
new-260Z 103.jpg [ 253.04 KiB | Viewed 6155 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:56 pm 

BTW........I paid $1,000, for her too!

Attachments:
DSC00020.JPG
DSC00020.JPG [ 61.67 KiB | Viewed 6154 times ]