Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:38 pm 

http://www.ztherapy.com/

i hope you guys al ready know about this site. if so
WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:49 pm 

Hi Pete!

Yeah, most of us know about Z Therapy. We figured you did, too :oops:
SORRY.

Actually, the SUs on my #02807 had been sent there and reworked, but then the previous owner played with them and undid most of the tune...I messed them up even further and by the time I took the car to Vini Bedini one of them was sticking open. The rebuild was more than 10 years ago, anyway.

As Bryan Little explained to me, the original Brit SUs suffered from shaft wear because of the material they used on the parts. The Hitachi SUs avoided that problem by using better material, but eventually everything wears out, so Z Therapy uses some extremely good material and roller bearings on the throttle shafts which eliminates a lot of wear and allows for really fine tuning. I think they charge about $400USD per set to rehab Z SUs, but everyone says it's worth it.

Frank

*(You just like these guyz 'cause they owned an Australian Blue Heeler cattle dog, huh?)(See their Bio).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:55 am 

..yeah theres some good info there....
we also find the hitachi su's to be te best ones.
as a rule, anything nissan or supplied to nissan is best to use..

you could spend hours of time and cash on carbs and linkages. etc..
i found with twin carb Z's. if its running ok then leave 'em alone.
otherwise do the full overhaul, manifold included..

check out Ferrari's or Lambogini's for linkage ideas and materials.. There s'pose to be maintanence free. ig. very little wear..

its a big job to fully recon these. 400 U.S. sounds about right..
i reckon i'd give it ago.. just like lego.. hehehehehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:16 pm 

The full-bore "Service SS" remanufacture process is currently priced at $630 plus $150 core charge. A link on the master price list provides a detailed decription of the work. Reading this detail will make you warm all over!!! There is another remanufacture process in the price list at $375 plus $75 core charge, I did not find any details on the work performed.

I have the big "SS" reman in the budget for 15320.

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:47 pm 

Jim ~ "15320"; is that how much you expect to spend, the year you expect to have enough saved to do the job, or your Z's VIN number? :lol:

So, if we sent them a pair of old cruddy SUs, they'd drop the Core Charge?
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:09 pm 

yep thats pretty expensive..
its almost cheaper to buy new webbers for it..
or do away with the hasssle of multi carbs and put a single downdraught off a 240K or skyline on it..

The su's dont provide enough power to make it worth having 'em on a hot motor. what would be even better is swapping the twin su's for a twin webber set up.. but that wont work on a six cyl...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:05 am 

It always seemed weird to me that Americans got away with using Holley 4-Bbl downdraughts on the L24. I've seen several of those setups and folks say they run very well, with plenty of power. It doesn't seem to me as if it should work, but it does.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 pm 

I just bought a pair of S U s from Z Therapy great to deal with.
Vinnie and i will be installing them on my 72 next week..
by the way F :lol: rank your car is looking good... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:53 pm 

obsidianpete wrote:
The su's dont provide enough power to make it worth having 'em on a hot motor. what would be even better is swapping the twin su's for a twin webber set up.. but that wont work on a six cyl...

I actually had a setup for mounting triple su's on a motor a few years ago... :twisted:

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:41 pm 

Frank - The answer is "yes" to all questions!!!

As to the core charge, it can be avoided by sending in your carbs before they ship the reman product out to you. Obviously, any core charge "forgiveness" is dependent on the quality of the carbs sent in. All is detailed out in their customer support section.

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:16 am 

hey air jockie, that manifold looks great.. evens up the cylinder to carby ratio. but still if u gonna stuff around with soo many carbs u midas well use the best.. right??? or just go injection and be done with working on your engine..hehhehehehe..

yeah those Holleys get a bit of a work out.. i've known of them running fine on Z's. as long as you choose the right size carb eg, 350cfm / 500 cfm..
those holleys have lots of little things you can adjust on 'em but to me they seem more to be there for stopping that horrible flat spot you tend to get from a big single carby..
eg, adjustable fuel pumps which squirt fuel in when you tromp the gas.
eg. eg. duration of fuel squirt and volume of fuel.
i stuffed around with one of these for weeks on a GM six cylinder. Nightmare!

ther's plenty of carby choices for Z's and L series engines..
come back to how much power you want and much time you want to spend under the bonnet every weekend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:04 pm 

I think I have had every combo possible... but never got around to getting a decent set-up running perfectly. The best running, but always failed was the normal EFI...but after relays were to corroding faster than I could clean them...I gave up.

Had 40 webers,, but just didn't flow with the engine right....sold them to Frank.

now I got the 45's...and tuning them is a bitch...but after today, I found some minor problems that I will post in the other thread.

next set-up is completely different... RB25DET, Haltech E11V2, some large turbo, Greddy intake..etc......or I might just buy a new car for once...might try the 370Z...with a few mods and see what happens. That all depends on this years economy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:44 pm 

I wish an RB engine would fall in MY lap! :lol:

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:13 pm 

sometimes...wishes could come true...

my RB fell into my lap....but what looked like a god-send...ended up being punishment for something. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:49 pm 

Dave Russell once MADE a triple SU manifold for his car ~ he said the biggest nightmare of the whole mess was figuring out how to make the 3rd SU (rearmost) floatbowl hang at the exact same angle as the others, so it wouldn't starve or flood.

Scott ~ THANK YOU for your kind words about 2807~ glad somebody actually got to see it so they know I haven't been making all this up for the past year :lol: I have the complete interior waiting at home to re-install when Vinny's done. I just saw him today and he says he won't get to touch my car this coming week because I ran my big mouth about how good he is and now several other Club carz are coming into the shop for "emergency" work.

Some of the parts for the rear suspension replacement have arrived, so the back end gets dropped out and receives the same treatment the front suspension got. Looking fwd to seeing the whole underside RhinoCoated.

(Wonder how the whole car would look if I just sprayed it all with RhinoCoat? Like something out of Animal House, I suppose. Couldn't be much worse than the Hideous Blue it wears now).