Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:57 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: '71 240ZX clutch change
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:55 pm 

Zeeple

The last time I had to change the motor(#4,I think,not bad for 22yrs) in my '71, I got a 1983 long block from Nissan,which bolted right in and has been romping since. It's again time for a new clutch (lost count of how many this is). When Nissan went turbo in '81,did they beef up the clutch disc on the turbo model vs the normally aspirated version? If so,will they interchange? I'm thinking more clutch has to be more better...Thoughts anyone?

Thankz
Al

Attachments:
lil red.jpg
lil red.jpg [ 68.24 KiB | Viewed 9710 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:07 pm 

thats a good question... i know that they changed the clutch for the 2+2.
i think they changed the flywheel and clutch to allow for more surface area..
would be interesting to know if the turbo clutches r beefed up. it wouldnt surprisew me though if nissan found the standard clutch to be adiquate.
im interested to know what the reason for the different size thrust bearing carriers is??.. They seem to of changed the clutch set up when they went to the 260 model.. upgrades.. so again did they upgrade when they went to the 280 turbo model..
i will be in the process of looking at a competition clutch in the next few months so ill let you know what my findings are..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:20 pm 

The 2+2's and turbo 280zx's have a 240mm flywheel clutch surface compared to the 225mm surface found on the NA's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:23 pm 

Well, according to the HAYNES manual:

"The clutch assembly is similar on all models but dimensions of some components differ btwn 240Z and 260Z models..."

The 240Z clutch is 8.90" Outside diameter (227mm)
The 260Z clutch is 8.86" Outside diameter (225mm)(WAIT! That's SMALLER :shock:)

The 240Z clutch is 5.80" Inside diameter (148mm)
The 260Z clutch is 5.91" Inside diameter. (150mm)

Total friction area for the 240 is 66.8 sq.in. (444cm2) *(Misprinted; converts to 431cm2)
Total friction area for the 260 is 68.5 sq.in. (442cm2)

Thickness for both units is 0.307" (7.8mm).

All other dimensions appear to be identical, but the clearance btwn the release bearing (throw-out brng) and the diaphragm spring fingers is
2.0mm for the 240Z, but NIL for the 260 (it rides in contact with the clutch fingers).

Your 1971 car might have the F4W71A or F4W71B 4-speed, or the FS5C71A 5-speed, depending on what month it was made. Each has its own adjustment specifications for clutch pedal.

Not a word in this early manual about the 2+2, since they didn't exist when I bought the book.

Frank

PS ~ I admire that 280 hood on your '71 240Z. Those functional vents let airpressure out from the engine bay at speed, actually allowing you to go faster than you would with a solid 240 hood. Most folks don't appreciate how important that is and how much advantage it gives you above 40mph. Just popping my standard 240 hood open onto the safety catch gave me 17mph more roadspeed at the same RPM driving across Kansas.

Last edited by Frank T on Tue May 05, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:36 pm 

Because ObsidianPete is following this thread, I went back and edited my Post to translate the measurements into Australian :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:59 am 

The clutch for a turbo or 2+2 was larger (240mm vs 225) so you need a flywheel from a turbo car to run the turbo clutch. You cannot just bolt a turbo clutch onto your old flywheel.
Also, the pressure plate thickness on the four speeds was greater than that on the later cars. So you need to use a longer release bearing carrier from a later car with a later model clutch.
It's your call whether you want to go to the extra trouble. Datsun was using a 225 mm clutch with an l-28 motor in the 280ZX which was a lot heavier car than yours. If you wear out clutches fast, you will wear out a 240 mm clutch too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:03 am 

I'm running a 240mm flywheel and clutch on my 280zx. It came from a 2+2, which my car is not, though with my transmission I needed to use a different collar on the throw out bearing. I bought a throwout assembly from Advance for a 2+2, pressed off the included bearing, and pressed on a Nissan throwout bearing. EZ-PZ. I'd definitely recommend a Nissan throw out bearing over a parts store one. Also note the 225mm NA flywheel uses 6 bolts to hold the pressure plate, but the 240mm uses 9. I used the 6 bolts I had and left three open - no problems yet, though I've been warned on hybridz.org that its better to use all 9 bolts if you can source some spares.

http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album50&page=1

Do you have other engine mods where you need the grip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:41 am 

Thanks for pointing out the additional flywheel bolts Mike. They are still available from Nissan. I first purchased a set when I converted my Z from the auto tranny and then again two years ago when I replaced the clutch.

Phil

Last edited by phil280zxt on Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 am 

you zeeple are just so freakin' cool 8) ...thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:26 am 

Heyyyyyyyy......we're family. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 am 

I got an ACT heavy duty clutch kit for a 240SX, and a six puck springless disk... tons of grip, and fun. size matched up.

Just a word if you re-use the bolts. Loctite.

or do what I did, I put a flywheel on and didn't have a proper trq whrench and it didn't seat all the way, and during a drifting event...the flywheel came loose. So now, pound the heck out of the flywheel, and make sure it seats completely onto the crankshaft. Drill a little safety wire hole on the bolts, loctite, torque, and safety wire. Done properly...never worry again.

Drill holes.

2nd time re-used bolts..

3rd time re-used bolts.

Springless hub...

ACT pressure plate.

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject: Z Heaven
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:57 pm 

I've always hoped there'd be a place like this...and now I'm here...
Clayton,is there some way your clutch kit can ride with someone to the May club meeting? I can bring my 'slightly abused' parts to match up. Lemme know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:40 am 

I'll see if I can make it, but it's a work night, and I'm still going thru the wiring system on the brown Z...the prior owner was a hack.

Post subject: ACT clutch
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:23 am 

AJ

I know it's a work night for you so I did'nt really expect you to make it. I was hoping someone from your area might be going to the meeting and could bring it along. If,for whatever reason,that does'nt happen,I'll be installing a stock unit the following day for a road trip to Michigan that saturday.

Thanx
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:06 am 

Actually, if you swing by the garage sometime, I have a new pressure plate, but it's been sitting out of a box so it oxidized pretty good, but I have a sandblaster and some spray paint. And I have the flywheel on the turbo engine, and it had a centerforce clutch kit on it, just take the disk to autozone and they can match up a new disk, and you have a better than stock set-up. We'll have to hoist up the engine to remove the flywheel, but that's like 10 minutes of work to take off. And then you can make the offer on those wheels you wanted.