Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:29 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: hesitation in low rpms
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:08 pm 

hey im new here i was refered to you guys fron the nissan dealership in groton. i have a 1990 300zx 2+2 n/a it has a hesitation problem in low rpms (under3000) and its robbing me of power and its kinda irritating. my friend also has a 1991 300zx n/a and when we race he destroys me so i know im losing a lot of power i alread did an oms test on the ignition coils. if anyone can help me and tell me what you think it is id really apprecate it thanks jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 pm 

Are all the tune up items good? and correct? If so, then move onto the injector issue they had that year. Ohm test the injectors. Then there was an issue with the wiring harness. I know less about this model, but the guy that can help is Rich at RDZ. (.com)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:24 pm 

Jerry,

As Paul says Rich from RDZ would be a good person to reach out to...he may find your post and chime in any second. His website is http://rdz300.com/

I am here in Groton with a '93 300ZX N/A. I am actually located near Girard Nissan and passed on the Z spotter cards. Please fill out your profile and stay for a while and post a New member intro. Have your friend join too. I just posted a reply to Steven who own's a 260Z here in Groton. You'll see I wrote that I just met a guy in Waterford with 5 300zx's... I think he would like it if more of us stopped by his place for a visit in our 300ZX's...or any Z's for that matter. You might know him already.

Welcome

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:17 am 

Thanks for the the kind words guys.

Paul is right on when he says OHM test the injectors. The harness and injector terminals will almost certainly be completely corroded.
If injectors OHM out correctly (12-15, no more then 30 or they are done) then clean corrosion.

If even 1 injector is out of spec then all others will follow, so replacing 1 will only irritate you when another goes.

I do more injector jobs then anything else on the 300zx. It 's just an age thing.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:14 pm 

hey guys sorry it took so long to get back on here been busy with working. thanks for all the ideas i forgot to mention it does have a full tune up

thanks jerry

nismo racing seats
k&n filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:18 pm 

But you still have the problem, no?
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:26 pm 

yes the problem is still there im thinking about replaceing all the injectors with performance injectors. what do you think i should use to get the most power out of it and also i want to replace the coils with performance ones but cant find any performance ones also doing i highflow intake. as you guys can tell i love power :D

nismo racing seats
k&n filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:53 pm 

OK, let's inventory your situation ~ but keep some things foremost in our minds:

1. I am NOT a qualified ZX mechanic;
2. It's pretty hard to trouble shoot any engine problem by "remote control" (in other words, from a distance);
3. I undrstnd the engine has had a recent tuneup, but either they missed something or something has gone wrong since then;
4. Your approach is to start changing parts out until the problem goes away.

Based solely on fundamental mechanics, my heartfelt recommendation is to diagnose the actual problem before you begin changing things out. Performance injectors might actually cure the problem, but if it's only something simple like a distributor advance problem, a leaking vacuum hose or a dirty filter (something which could be adjusted or cheaply replaced), you're out a lot money for no reason.

I agree that if you simply changed each system component one at a time, you would PROBABLY kill the Gremlin ~ eventually. In the meantime you could spend far more than a trained mechanic would charge you to identify the actual problem and fix it.

I humbly suggest you take your Z to the NISSAN dealer or to Rich at RDZ and have the actual problem positively identified. Then you would know how much it will cost to repair it and at THAT point you could make an informed decision about upgrading to more expensive Performance widgets. Once they tell you what the problem is, you can pay them their diagnostic fee and run home to fix it yrslf. More fun that way, and you can fish thru the Z catalogs for replacement upgrades while you're planning the repair.

There are probably two dozen members of this Club who are experienced enough to trouble shoot your ZX, but they're scattered all over the state (and some in RI and MA), so by the time you arranged a meeting with one of them you could have had the problem fixed locally.

If you identify the glitch and need new partz, please remember that any registered member of the CTZCC gets a 20% discount on new parts (except NISMO) from our great sponsoring dealership, NISSAN of Darien.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:03 am 

If you can drive it over, I can diagnosis it in about 30 mins. You can email or call me 203 395 2452 to discuss taking a look at your Z car.

At least then you'll know for sure.

Rich@RDZ