Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:28 pm 

Hi All,

Am thinking of starting a serial post showing the process of turning a 240Z street car into a vintage racer. I guess that means I'll have to get off my duff and set up a photo account with picasa or some other similar web service.

I have had the car for 15 years and was in the process of restoring it. About the year 2000 I got into hillclimbing and lost interest in restorations. Having the desire to try roadracing, I saw the primered Z shell as the perfect starting point for such a project.

So if you are interested in following along check this space, hopefully I'll have the spare time to throw a few photos up every other week.

Murf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:45 pm 

Well Murf, you have struck upon every Z owner's secret fantasy desire, so you'll certainly have a captive audience in here!

Several of our members already have Z racers, but I don't think any of them built them from scratch (DUCK! If I'm wrong about that, I'm gonna be in the center of an instant crossfire! Stay low and move away from me!).

What year Z are you starting out with, and what racing class are you targeting with it?

Frank T
MbrshpDir
CTZCC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:00 pm 

The plan is to run with VRG and SVRA vintage clubs, maybe HSR. For the 240Z most clubs at least philosophically follow 1973 C Production regulations.

Sorry it is taking me a while to get my act together (in terms of posting pics) but what else is new.

However at least the car is progressing! Fuel cell is mounted, working on the Tilton brake setup now, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:55 pm 

When we start the 2009 monthly meetings, you'll have to come watch some of Bob Sharp's old 8mm movies he brings. He ran C/Prod with the original 240Z, and it's a real howl to watch his little lightweight Datsun run away from the A/Prod Corvettes and Cobras.

As Bob recalls it, he got the car down to about a ton after installing the cage, and was pushing about 300-350bhp.

What size fuel cell are you installing? (In other words, what will it weigh, full?)

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:19 pm 

Its a 15 gallon cell. I hope to get her down to 2ooo lbs but I am not sure if ill meet that goal.
Likewise with the 2.4 I hope ill make 250hp, but I am more concerned with "area under the rpm/torque curve.". The weakest link will be the driver anyway. : )