Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:39 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:24 pm 

Frank T wrote:
(Air? Are you reading this? Cut us a copy of that L26 with the hole in the side of it, please).**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:43 am 

yeah i've got a 160 block here from a wreck and number 1 piston is completely blown up. Con rod is smashed to bits too.
Apparently this motor was recently rebuilt befor it blew..
we pulled the block down and found all the crank and bearings were overheated... telling me that probably an oil problem did it..
Run it dry on any engine and it'l blow..even a tough little L series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:45 am 

sorry.... 260 block....
Block is still in tact and bore seems to be ok..
but i wouldnt use anything off this engine..
maybe the timing case :) a real shame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:04 am 

By the way Pete, while we're discussing the transmission console covers....In all the Yankee 240s and 260s, we have two parallel slots in our console covers. In the slot closest to the driver (the left slot, here) is our manual choke control (the "Strangler" there, I suppose).
The other slot was intended for a throttle control, with which Japanese (and maybe the GB) owners held the SUs open a bit by hand ~ sort of like a manually-operated Cruise Control while driving, or a fast-idle control while warming the engine.
Did the Aussies get a throttle control there, or was it an empty slot like it is here?

Just curious.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:14 pm 

G'day, Pete ~

Do your 4 speed cars have a NEUTRAL indicator light in them?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:59 pm 

"but i wouldnt use anything off this engine..
maybe the timing case :) a real shame[/quote]" What about the head, with the large valves? Defiantly a saver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:18 am 

ok.. heres what we get in consoles.
240 and 260 centre console are different and do not interchange/

260 centre console 74 - 77
same console on all models available.
ashtray in centre of dash next to hand/park brake.
Choke is next to ashtray.
Accomodates radio. and has lights under radio. eg
-hazard lights
-choke light.
most of the ones ive seen here only have hazard and choke light. the rest r blank inserts..
All in All...at a guess. all 260 consoles r identical no matter what market.

2+2 has an extra ashtray at rear of console for back seat smokers.
2 seater has a plastic insert to cover the hole.

240Z centre console.
This ones tricky. i Have seen ones with a blank choke and my old man has one with the 2 chokes....Now...
Twin choke is on a mid 71 240Z.
Normal choke is hocked upto carbies to richen the carbs on start up.
The other choke is connected to your accelerator pedal. So the only thing this choke does is push your pedal down......
ITs great for start up because you can keep it idleing with out staying with ya foot on the gas...
This console has the ashtray under the radio. Pull the ashtray out and the fuse bok is under it.
On later models they put the fuse book on the side wall.

As for ya Neutral light...????
4 speeds only came out on 240K and smaller 180B and 200B.
If you mean is there a light to tell you if your in neutral, then NO.
As far as i know the Nissa/Datsun 6 cyl gearbox's r all the same. Just ratio changes. And the 5 speed is a 4 speed with 5th gear shoved into the rear housing. Making it more of an over drive 4 speed.
I've got a 5 speed from a less sportier 78 Skyline and it is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:32 am 

Pete~
Outstanding answer ~ you responded to everything we asked about the consoles. Good on ya, Mate!
It sounds as if the 240 consoles are the same everywhere, except that some countries get a throttle fast idle lever beside the choke, and we (U.S.) don't ~ that slot is left blank and the owners are left to wonder why! :?

Our 260 console had a sliding aluminum ashtray cover close to the driver's elbow, while the 240 console had the black plastic ashtray beneath the radio, which contained the cigarette lighter. Pull the 240 ashtray out to access the fuse box as you described.

The transmissions had a "neutral switch" with electrical leads coming off it, to light up some kind of indicator when you were in neutral (was this really necessary?) but we don't know what countries actually got the light. Maybe it was kept in Japan itself? We have a member with a pair of Fairladies (RHDDATSUNDUDE) who might know the answer.

I am now a bit curious to know WHO Japan felt was so stupid that he(they) needed a LIGHT to tell them when they were out of gear??! :roll:

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:39 pm 

yeah no worries Frank... i love me 70's Z's and im always ready for a good yarn about 'em...
The Neutral light.. Im pretty sure we never got it..
mainly we got "rear defogger" light and "choke" light..
Gearboxes here only have 1 set of wiring. Thats for the reverse lamps.
But its easy to find wiring around ya car that doesnt go to anything and can never find out where it goes...
i think nissans basically put the same wiring in all cars then hooked up whatever that market needs... My 76 260 (RS30) has more wiring than i can find to do with it..
It's like doing an Auto to Manual change. All the holes r there for ya clutch pedal etc. Only prob i had was getting the neutral start switch wires connected so the thing would start... I couldnt work it out so i kept the whole mechanism that the wires go to in the car..Makes for a good kill switch. :)

Another thing while im here... U poor guys.. All the brake master and clutch master r on the carbie side of the engine bay...
I've noticed on the American Z that all the holes r there for the clutch etc on the opposite side..
but... All the Z's i got here dont have dummy holes on the carbie side.
Which would mean that, American Z's or left hand drive body's were made pacifically for that market. So the American Z has dummy holes on both sides, and the rest of the world gets the rest.
Its only a hole or two here and there but that means from factory the bodies were either American market or Jap. 2 pacific bodies.