Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: E31 Head Rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:15 am 

I joined the club recently as a new member. I have a very nice, rut-free, stock, Series 1 240Z and am refreshing the engine compartment. While the engine was out I thought I should change the head gasket and timing chain. Having gone this far my next thought was to get this beautiful E31 head cleaned up and rebuilt as may be necessary. I sent it out to a CA shop that advertises that it does such work on a regular basis but it was returned by UPS in a poor state. I am now considering having a more local shop with proven experience look at the head and perform the necessary work to ensure it is 100%.

Can someone give me a reference on the best shop in the RI, CT, MA area that I might turn to?

Also, has anyone successfully changed out the firewall gasket for the engine harness without extracting the entire harness and again pulling it through after the new gasket is installed? It seems very tight and somewhat risky to attempt to cut the gasket then try to reinstall the new one around the harness while it is still through the firewall. Maybe I'm just too gun-shy but I don't want to risk any damage to the harness. Any advice? Thanks.

Robin Foote
1970 Red 240Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:39 am 

Was it because the head was cracked? Any good machine shop should be able to help you. I use one here in R.I. and they have been good to me. If there is one highly recommended for Z's, I'd like to know myself. Also, get some L28 turbo headbolts. Might as well have it held down with the best bolts. I believe the early Z's had a problem with those bolts. I even think my 72 was updated by P.O. Another choice is a different head, like a p79 0r p90, just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:09 am 

Hi Robin ~
This club trusts Bedini Motorsports. See their link on our website homepage. They are steadfast members so they have to look each of us in the eye at every meeting. Nobody has anything bad to say about them.

On a theoretical level, if you had questions about what you should do with your head, the Z Garage also has a link on our website homepage. Ask for Bryan there, and ask him to comment on whatever modifications you plan to do to your E31. (I like Paul's suggestion about the L28 headbolts).

You didn't specify what was wrong with the head when they returned it to you. Please note that we are hungry for such information whenever a member uses a vendor and is/is not happy with the service they get. Please look at our VENDOR RAVES AND GRIPES forum and see if your experience should be noted in there. You might save another member some time/money/aggravation.

Thnx/Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 am 

paul.mackin wrote:
Was it because the head was cracked? Any good machine shop should be able to help you. I use one here in R.I. and they have been good to me. If there is one highly recommended for Z's, I'd like to know myself. Also, get some L28 turbo headbolts. Might as well have it held down with the best bolts. I believe the early Z's had a problem with those bolts. I even think my 72 was updated by P.O. Another choice is a different head, like a p79 0r p90, just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:39 am 

Frank T wrote:
Hi Robin ~
This club trusts Bedini Motorsports. See their link on our website homepage. They are steadfast members so they have to look each of us in the eye at every meeting. Nobody has anything bad to say about them.

On a theoretical level, if you had questions about what you should do with your head, the Z Garage also has a link on our website homepage. Ask for Bryan there, and ask him to comment on whatever modifications you plan to do to your E31. (I like Paul's suggestion about the L28 headbolts).

You didn't specify what was wrong with the head when they returned it to you. Please note that we are hungry for such information whenever a member uses a vendor and is/is not happy with the service they get. Please look at our VENDOR RAVES AND GRIPES forum and see if your experience should be noted in there. You might save another member some time/money/aggravation.

Thnx/Frank T