Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: where do these go?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:43 am 

Hello Fellow Z'ers

I replaced my dash and engine harnesses, but can't find the drawing I made to hook up the distributor!! Could someone tell me please, where these wires hook up to??? I have a brand new ignition coil. I've had my Z to about 3 different "mechanics" to try to get her going. I need a "GOOD" mechanic that knows these cars, "inside n out"....anybody willing to help me out??? please.........thanxx , needs some work!!! but it's my "BABY"!!
Gary (BigGar)

(z280zman11@yahoo.com)

Attachments:
Image008.jpg
Image008.jpg [ 34.18 KiB | Viewed 2139 times ]
fcb20b91d7a0.jpg
fcb20b91d7a0.jpg [ 24.04 KiB | Viewed 2139 times ]
Image000.jpg
Image000.jpg [ 43.68 KiB | Viewed 2139 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:05 pm 

OK Gary, I stopped running my mouth long enough to go dig out my 1977 Haynes manual. I got it for the 240 but it also covers the 1975 280 (a little).

I was wrong ~ there are THREE (3) distributors for the '75 280 cars. They are designated D6F4-01, -02, and -03. The -03 was used for both manual and auto transmissions, the others only for manual.

It's important at this point to determine which one you have. Please look your car over and see if you can get a part number from the dizzy. (Maybe using a mirror?)

ALSO: The manual has a pretty strong WARNING about these cars. It says to make sure the HT lead btwn the coil and the dizzy does not come near the fuel system wiring harness. Apparently NISSAN used really high voltage in both systems that year, and if the wires were allowed too closely together, they could short each other out. Just check to make sure the big fat wire coming out of your coil (the High Tension wire) isn't routed near the wires near the driver's front of the engine. The diagram shows about 6" clearance needed to prevent problems.

ALSO: When you can, please post a clear pic of your distributor and coil in this forum. You're in MASS, I'm in CT, and nobody's gonna cruise up there to look at your wires. Z Garage asked for that ystrdy, too.

FINALLY: If anybody has a 1975 280 car with a stock ignition system, would ya please shoot a quick pic of the coil and dizzy so we can see how the wiring is supposed to look? BigGar's car was a fire job and the ignition was replaced without a schematic and we're trying to "guess" how it should be put together to make it run.

Thnx/Frank