Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:13 pm 

My Z has 96k on it, only 1000k in last 4 yrs. I'm getting a steady putting sound sound out of the right exhaust, a rougher idle, no breakup on accel or cruising. I suspect sticking injectors? My question is has anyone used the 3M brand injector cleaning kit? Shut down normal fuel and run their product through the injectors. Also, I've heard of reverse flushing at the shops but don't know how that works out? Looking for for the easy way before digging deeper..........thx for your input.

2015 Frontier Crew
2019 Shelby GT350
1970 Mustang Fastback restomod
2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
203-331-3302
pauljensenrealtor@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 pm 

Paul ~

Have you compared all the right-bank spark plugs? The cheapest thing you can hope for is a single fouled plug, which only misbehaves at idle but does OK under load. Compare color, gap and electrode condition among the plugs. Hope to find one that looks different than the others. Check them all for fine cracks along the necks, or enough dirt to permit arcing.
Also, in total darkness, open your hood and watch for spark jump at an idle, anyplace along the length of the plug wires. (Keep your hands and necktie away from the fan, like my high school buddy forgot to do!). Ask someone to hold it at constant higher speed for you and watch for sparking at higher revs.
If it's only plugs, you owe me coffee!
Frank

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:06 pm 

Modern gas has a high level of detergent to keep injectors clean compared to the 1980s. Dirty injectors nowdays is kinda rare.

But if you want to clean them yourself, here's the old method: buy a bottle of Chevron Techron. Not the cheap bottle, get the $10 version which is pure.

Put it in the tank when its near empty, this will ensure a high level of Techron to clean the system. Go for a 30 minute drive, but don't do hard driving unless you put some more gas in the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:18 am 

Hi Paul,
The Z32 is known for bad injectors, but it is not due to "dirty injectors". The Z32's injectors electrodes corrode internally. You can check if they are no good by removing the wire harness connector clips and OHM testing them. (while you have the connectors off, clean them and the terminal connector on the injector with electrical cleaner). If the injectors read between 10-14 ohms then they are good, if not then cleaning them won't help. They'll need replacing if they are out of spec. Please feel free to email me if you need speak about replacing them. Rich@RDZ300.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:02 pm 

I LOVE THIS CLUB!

:D