Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 240Z rear shocks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:53 am 

I would like to hear peoples' experiences and recommendations regarding changing the rear shocks on their 240Z.

What brand did you use? Were you happy with them? Which ones would you recommend, or warn against? Any comments about the installation process?
How many miles did you get out of your old pair?

All comments are welcome.
Thanks!

Frank

Post subject: Re: 240Z rear shocks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:04 am 

Hi Frank!

I can honestly say that I have had some experience changing out the shocks in my '71Z as I am currently on my 4th set. :roll:

Here's a quick rundown on what I had bought for the car, mileage driven and how well each set of shocks had performed:

June 1975 40K miles
Replaced the original shock cartridges with new Mullholland cartridges purchased from Bob Sharp as the Z was getting a bit "bouncy".

Sept. 1993 92K miles
Replaced the rear Mullholland cartridges with 2 Monroe cartridges as rear seemed to be getting soft and "bouncy".

June 2003 115K miles
As part of the major restoration, I bought a set of 4 Tokico strut cartridges and springs as well as new front and rear sway bars from MSA to improve the handling of the car. This also lowered the car about 1-1/2 inches. I've been most happy with this last set of shocks, although the ride is a bit stiffer and the lower springs gave me a bit of negative camber, but the handling was vastly improved. You experienced this at the Glen so you can judge for yourself. The car now has 202K miles on the odometer and still rides great.

One point I would make regarding the installation is I am very leery about compressing springs even though I do own and have used spring compressors in the past. I was actually able to avoid having to compress the springs by properly supporting the car chassis and using my hydraulic jack to slowly lower the control arms and the disconnected strut assemblies. The rear axles and brake lines must be disconnected at each rear wheel in order to lower the arms sufficiently to allow you to clear the spring from the wheel wells. The front is a bit easier as you would remove the tie rod and brake lines as I recall.

You may need help in having someone to help you align the strut shaft in the strut tower holes while you raise the control arms with their new strut cartridges into place so you can fasten the shaft nuts in place. I also placed some rolled up electrical tape on the polished strut shafts at the top of the cartridges to keep the shafts from sliding down into the cartridges while trying to raise them in place. I guess it worked. :wink:

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:23 pm 

I'm happy with the Tokico and Eibach spring package, most likely the same as John's. I have used spring compressors my whole career and have ones for tiny cars so always a breeze for me. The rears will swing right out after removing the top 3 bolts and I believe the brake line. No need to remove the control arms. Of course in my case I was probably replacing the original shocks from 1972. If the cartridge is stuck in you most like will have to remove the control arms..........buy lots of beer and be prepared for a week of Hell. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:53 am 

Cool, thanks.
Who has experiences with KYB? Do you consider them better than Tokico?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:04 pm 

I put KYB's purchased from Rock Auto on my wife's 2002 Toyota Rav4 back in 2016 at 179K miles. The car now has 212K miles on the OD. Standard shock on back, strut and coil spring on front. They still work fine, but much different car from a Z obviously. Total spend then was $349.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:56 pm 

Hello Frank, I have had good results with Tokiko shocks, that's what I have in my white 240Z.

Just for fun, I added a picture, circa 1982, of my first 73 240Z as I was replacing the shocks. I removed the brake line and the half shaft bolts and the shocks just swing out. Notice the mud flap built into the bodywork. I bought it like that, and I have never seen it again. I have been forever sorry I sold that car later in '82.

Attachments:
73_240Z_shocks.jpg
73_240Z_shocks.jpg [ 112.01 KiB | Viewed 22706 times ]

Blue 78 280Z
TBD 73 240Z
Red 83 280ZX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:28 pm 

Thanks for all this, guyz.
John, are your Tokicos gas or oil?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:49 pm 

Frank,

Had to look up the old receipts from 2003 receipts to confirm. They are gas shocks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:30 am 

Yea Juan that's the way, and if you are also replacing the spring dont waste time compressing the old one. Set air impact gun on top of nut with hose unplugged from compressor, tie strap trigger to full force, now plug in hose and done. KYB shocks are good and I read they are the most produced in the world. Another good one is Bilstein and I'm using them on my Toyota Tundra. I had to because of the 1" lift in the back, but I am defiantly impressed. I also heard Koni is good and Borg, but no experience with them. KYB, I put that stuff on everything.