Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:28 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 5-speed in a '70 Z
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 pm 

Wow, you guys have a whole different set of problemZ trying to decide what kind of a gearbox to put in the older Z-car than I did. I guess everything from the '77 280-Z to date (except some of the real new models w/a 6-speed) had 5-speeds, do I have that right?

Back in the day, July l974 is when the converZion was done on my '70, there were only two ways to go.

The first way was to find a wrecked or dilapidated SRL-311 (the 2-liter, 5-speed roadster that had way too much engine for its brakes) and to pull out all the stuff you needed and basically bolt it in. I think there were a few things you had to get if you went that route, the driveshaft comes to mind.....

The second way is the way I chose. That was to special order from the Datsun Competition Department the same 5-speed as was used in the race cars, a transmission mount, a short prop shaft, a speedo pinion, and I forgot what else. This gave a 0.864:1 ratio in 5th, but 1st gear wouldn't work with the original 3.36:1 differential unless you rode the clutch a lot, or chose a different set of gears to be installed in the trans at additional cost. My solution was to use the R200, 3.90:1 limited slip which killed the idea of an overdrive, but at least gave me the same final drive ratio as before, 3.36:1, since the 4-speed was direct drive in 4th. But what it really did was give me a better choice of RPM and torque in various situations. More than that, it gave a guy whose joy in driving centers largely around shifting his own gears, more opportunity to do so. As long as it was apart we also installed the 800kg clutch/pressure plate, roller bearing pilot bushing, and a couple of other things.

The only problem didn't appear during the installation. I forgot (this is 35 years later! ) whether it was 5th or reverse, but it would jump out of gear without warning. The fit of the gearshift thru the opening looked good, but would you believe that the compressed thickness of the boot was just enough to apply enough pressure to pop it out of gear. As I recall, we just opened up the hole about 1/4" and it never did it again.

All Z Best, Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Last edited by Kathy & Rick on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:49 am 

It was 5th gear ~ still happens that way with conversions today, unless you open the tunnel hole a tad. For some reason, it also makes it difficult for me to downshift smoothly or accurately from 5th to 4th.

But for highway cruising, that 5th gear sure makes life a lot quieter inside the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:35 am 

when you tested your speedo with a drill, it's very possible that you just pulled the inner cable out of the speedo a little bit, and so it wasn't able to drive the speedo. You don't have to pull it out much in order for this to happen.
You can unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo with some under-dash contortionism, and then actually feel the inner cable while somebody turns the transmission end, to see if the cable is still good. They usually make a helluva noise for a long time before they break.
I have an extra cable and an extra gauge if you need them, or they might still be on the club scrapper.My gauge is not the old style, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:01 am 

Thanks Mark!

We figured out that the cable was broken and Vinny (a.k.a. Dr. Z) replaced the cable as well as replaced our tach....which is a whole other story!

Now both the speedo and tach work great!

Looking forward to seeing you at the Fall Outing on Oct. 31st!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:37 am 

Robin
Are you running points or have you upped to electronic ignition?
I've heard (and seen,to some extent) that when you go electronic,your tach no longer registers properly.

Post subject: tach
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:06 am 

It's actually Colin..Robin's son.

Yes it seems that since going electric that the tach runs about 500 rpm higher than it should.

I think it can be adjusted....but the knob is on the back if the tach in a very hard to reach location...so it looks like we will just leave it the way it is.