Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Door Adjustment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 am 

How the heck does one adjust the hinges for door gaps? My driver side door seems to have a sag but the hinges are not loose. The gap at the A-Pillar is great but the bottom of the door strikes the rocker next the dog leg when I close it.

Post subject: Re: Door Adjustment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:37 pm 

Hi Bruce

I'm probably not the best person to take advise from on this one but I am curious. :?
1) Did the door fit that way for a while or was there a change?
2) Was any body work done on the car recently at either the A pillar or the rocker/dogleg area that changed the door fit?
3) Is there excessive corrosion at the upper or lower hinge locations which may be causing the door to sag? Check both the door and the body A pillar
4) Did the door latch or striker loosen or drop any?

It sounds to me like you may have to shim the lower door hinge in order to lift the end of the door a bit to clear the rocker panel and dogleg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:27 am 

I think they took the door off to paint the car. The hinge bolts from chassis to door look like they are thread with through holes on the chassis and threads in the hinges. How do i get to these bolts, take our the dash?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 am 

Good question as I have never had the dash out of my car nor have I ever removed the hinges. Have you tried removing the side kick panel under the dash to see if you can access from there?

Have you tried loosening the bolts on the door and pulling up on the door to possibly realign it in the jam then re-tightening the bolts? I'm just thinking of how I would tackle this. :roll:

Any help out there for Bruce from anybody that has adjusted their doors?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:34 am 

Hi Bruce. If you don't mind my two cents worth of knowledge... I don't think Datsun would have used "loose" nuts to secure the door hinge(requiring a backup wrench to hold it for tightening and loosening), but probably would have welded them in place(?). It's possible that maybe the tack welds broke loose when someone was removing the hinge bolts(?). You don't mention if you tried loosening the hinge bolts or that they are just turning and not coming out. I agree with Johnny Z about trying to loosen the bolts and readjusting the door. Good luck.

Howard J

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 pm 

A floor jack and a short 2x4 under the bottom edge of the door helps hold it in place while you make wiggle adjustments.
And now you know everything I know about door alignment. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 pm 

Bruce,

I pulled out my old shop manual and according to it, the hinge door bolts are not adjustable but the body bolts are. These bolts, accessible supposedly by removing the following (this for a 240Z):

"Disconnect the battery cable from the battery terminal. Disconnect the horn relay from the dash side (drivers side). Remove the hood latch lever bracket. Remove the dash side trim.

With the door fully opened,support the door with a stand or jack (use rags to protect paint). Remove (or loosen) the door hinge installation bolts from the body side."

You should be able to remove or adjust the door this way. The manual says you can adjust the body hinges 3mm (0.1181 inches) in either direction. That does not sound like much but that small amount can relate to much more movement at the back end of the door.

I hope that helps. Let us know how you make out with your alignment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:38 pm 

My doors have been out of alignment for 10 years (HEY! NO SMART COMMENTS, KARL! :evil: ). I wrestled with them and only made them worse. I need to take the car (and my manual) to the body shop and have it done professionally. Not enough time in life to become that agitated.