Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:59 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:20 pm 

I swapped a 1987 300ZX n/a 5 speed transmission & flywheel into a 1984 300ZX turbo automatic. The setup works just fine UNLESS I really get on the gas and the turbo boost comes up to max, then the clutch slips. Under normal driving conditions it works great.

OK, so the clutch kit the auto parts store gave me was for a n/a. My bad, I forgot to specify.

Thanks to my local Nissan dealer, I've learned that the 1984-86 turbo had the same flywheel as the 1984-89 n/a cars. The 87-89 turbo cars had a different flywheel. That being said, the '87 n/a flywheel that I installed is OK for this setup.

SO WHAT CLUTCH DO I USE?

I'm leaning toward a Centerforce II, although I hear that the ACT is better (and $100 more). I will not track the car, it's a street cruiser with some spirited driving thrown in.

What's your thoughts? Who has experience with this type of swap? Who has experience with these clutches?

I thank you in advance for your sage opinions.....

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 pm 

John, I, like you, swapped the auto for a 5 speed in my 280zxt several years ago. I used the bigger 280zxt flywheel and OEM turbo clutch. It was fine until a turned the boost to 10 psi after which it started slipping. I installed an ACT Street Performance clutch and haven't looked back. It's never slipped and now I'm running a good 12 psi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:43 pm 

I've had experience with a few different performance clutches on a Z31 240mm flywheel. I'm running an ACT in my 86T and love it: smooth engagement, no chatter, high torque rating, never slipped. Pedal is noticeably firmer than stock but after a week you think that all clutches feel this way. Then you get into your Honda and smash your foot through the floor :? I've also run a performance Exedy clutch setup (basically an HD version of a stock clutch), an F-1 motorsports six puck clutch (not recommended), and have a motor built with an ACT 350Z pressure plate and disc (can't comment yet). I've driven a Centerforce equipped car (non Z) and it performed identical to stock with identical pedal feel.
I would say for a basically stock turbo car with the boost turned up a bit or a hot n/a setup either a centerforce or ACt would be fine.

I've no firsthand experience with them but South Bend Clutch (DXD) is the #1 preferred and talked about setup for Z31's. Their reputation is superb and they do actually tailor make these clutches specifically for the 84-89 300zx's and various levels of performance. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:58 pm 

I have had good experiences with Centerforce clutches on non-Z cars. I have on equipped on my '86 Corolla and my Dad's '84 VW GTI. Both cars have seen multiple seasons on autocross courses and the corolla has seen a lot of drift events. The clutches have been great so far with no slipping. The pedal pressure feels stock but the clutch grabs good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:45 am 

Thanks for the opinions fellas.....

I've been talking with the guys at Bully Clutch (www.bullyclutch.com) and they tell me that I need 60% more clamping power than stock for my application. Being the honest souls that they are, they tell me that the Centerforce II should work just fine. They also offer a comparable setup, but it is a bit pricier (still working on that!).

As I said, my car will not be a track car, it is a stock turbo Z31 that will be street driven, enthusiastically at times. Going to go with one of them, hopefully that will be it. Don't want to do this again!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester