Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:08 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:02 pm 

Hi Everybody,
As I mentioned in my introduction post after wanting one for years and things not lining up I now have a '73 240Z for the spectacular price of free :)

I had a chance to swing through and take a look at the car after work tonight and couldn't be happier. The car was last tagged in '94 and has been inactive and stored since then. At some point 5-6 years ago it was moved outside and under a cover. Conveniently enough the car is a rolling chassis right now, all the better to get it cleaned up and caged :D I was expecting the worst...not the case.

Car has some rust at the bottom of both doors, the hood is questionable, a little surface rust along the roof/windshield line and a couple patches here and there but is very solid and in good shape. At some point the owner had the front fenders replaced with fiberglass panels, looks like they did a great job. The body is amazingly straight. Floor pans are a little rough and need replacement but the frame rails are shockingly solid. The engine bay is in pretty good shape, a bit of rust around the radiator support but nothing terrible. Battery tray is nice and clean, bonus! The interior is mostly out of the car which is nice because I got a chance to check out the sheet metal and it looks great.

Cool things of note:
Has roughly 100k on the body.
Car is a factory AC car and he still has the setup.
The car comes with two motors and at least two carb setups(SU and Weber) all of which are supposedly in great condition.
Has a manual tranny, no clue about condition but was working when yanked.
Cool set of unknown origin 5 slot wheels.
Has a spare diff which sounds like it may be a R200.
Comes with a ton of random parts, can't wait to start digging in.

Right now the car is going down the drag route. To start I want to drop an LQ4 6.0l truck block with a set of L92 heads in. Going to keep things mild and probably just upgrade the rod/head hardware to ARP and a lumpier cam. My partner in crime has a built powerglide that looks like it may have a new home. The rear is getting swapped out to a R200 and either a locker or a welded diff, streetablity isn't a huge concern :) While we are tearing up the floors, why not stiffen things up with a bit heavier sheetmetal and a new set of beefier frame rails? Things won't be moving very quickly at first(wedding in t-minus 2 months), but thank god I have time :)

Sorry for the horrid pictures, I only had my cell on me:
Image Image Image Image Image

...And one of the 370 for good measure :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:08 am 

Project might have just got a shot in the arm :) I have someone interested in buying my Jeep and the lady has given me the blessing to funnel some of the proceeds into the project. Looking at leasing out a cheap warehouse space to serve as a shop, anybody interested in going in halfsies? :lol:

I am looking into the frame rail matter and it seems that I have two real options-BadDog or go with 2x3 box steel and throw convention out the window. Anything to chime in?

Ok, so I think I have the first round of hardware decisions planned out. I would love feedback from anybody with LS platform experience:

6.0 LQ4 block-the 60lbs of weight seem worthwhile for the extra .7l of displacement and the ability to run the L92 heads. The cost is also a blessing. Crank will stay stock but I want to toss in a set of LQ9 pistons to bump the compression and have them and the rods shot peened as an ounce of prevention. Is the convenience of a 2 piece timing cover worth it? It seems like a blessing but again, my experience with the LS motors is limited. Also looking at dropping in a nice timing chain set, any reccomendations?

L92 heads/SLP Intake- Summit has the fully assembled heads for $1800ish. Going with the 70cc version. Heads would be getting some mild port work while they were off the car but likely would remain otherwise stock. May be able to get the heads coated through a buddy for a nominal cost. The motor will be running stock with a shot of the juice at the track, would it be worth building up the heads more or just save it as a down the line project?

Eddelbrock 90mm throttle body-getting the same mild portwork and matching...not much to say :)

Fueling will likely be a cell, Aeromotive 700 fuel pump, JEGS fuel pressure reg and stock rails/injectors. I know its overkill on a relatively mild motor but the overhead for future projects will keep me happy.

Transmissions is still a big up-in-the-air. As I mentioned I have access to a 2 speed glide, but research hasn't turned up much about getting them bolted in. I know they will mount up with no problems to the LS block but everything else is still a mystery. Has anybody locally welded up a R200? Common information says they seem to be good to the 700+HP range. The car is going to spend 95%+ of its life on the track, after thinking about it a locker doesn't seem like it is worth the money in the first build.

:End Rant: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:30 am 

come swing by my garage...

PM me for addy and phone number.

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:57 pm 

Well, after a long wait we finally got the car pulled out of its home and trailered over to AirJockies. The bad news is that the consensus says the car just isn't worth saving. The good news is that there are a ton of good parts and before it goes to meet its maker everything will be posted up. The short list is a good solid roof(will get chopped), a pair of fiberglass front fenders, good headlight buckets, un-chipped or cracked front/rear glass, a very nice set of tail lights and the matching panel, a couple motors, a trans, two diffs...etc, etc, etc :)

After it is all apart and cleared out I am going to start the search for a new shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:10 pm 

you don't pass through south meriden and down oregon road during the weekday mornings, do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:23 pm 

Nope, but I am in the area pretty frequently. I'm just a town over in Wallingford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:01 pm 

gotcha. i see a 370 every morning on the way to my old man's house, wasn't sure if it was you or not.