Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:38 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:06 pm 

This is an outline. I will continue to update the thread if need be.

VG30E>VG30E/T
What you need to Turbo Charge your Naturally Aspirated 300ZX Z31 Engine (1984-1989)

AIR FLOW

Turbocharger
Turbo exhaust elbow
Drivers side exhaust manifold
Downpipe
All intake piping (MAF to Throttle body)

MOUNTS

Front Cross-member
Drivers side engine mount bracket (bolts to block)
Alternator mount, (Unless you have an 87+ Z then you should have it already)
Alt tensioner
longer Alt belt (if relocating to the Passenger Side)

COOLING and LUBRICATION

Turbo Oil pan
Turbo oil lines (and water lines 1985+ Turbo)
Water Hard Pipe

ENGINE MANAGEMENT

Turbo Fuel injectors (260cc/min)
Turbo ECU
O2 Sensor
Boost Gauge
*** You have to use injectors, ECU and O2 sensor from Turbo cars of the same year, as a set(198x inj, + 198x ECU + 198x O2). You CAN mix and match to a degree, but that's beyond the scope of this post

Engine Gasket Kit
Exhaust Gaskets

These are the major components you need. There are always other things you can add, but this will get you up, running, and boosted. You should have about 215 hp @ the crank thanks to the higher compression of the pistons.

Consider all maintenace items while you are at it. I recommend at least the OEM turbo clutch. Use the 1986 Turbo Clutch Kit as it will fit your NA flywheel.

YOU DON'T NEED TO CHANGE,

Fuel pump, same on NA and Turbo
MAF, Same on NA and Turbo
Radiator NA will work fine at stock boost

VG30E>VG33E
Preface: After rebuilding and Turbocharging my 1985 VG30E engine, I wish I had just went ahead and used a VG33E instead. Unfortunately, due to a lack of funds I couldn't afford a second engine.

***IF YOU PLAN ON SWAPPING YOUR VG ENGINE, BUY A VG33! IT IS STUPID HOW EASY THE SWAP IS AND YOU WILL HAVE A BUNCH MORE TORQUE AND POWER FOR VERY LITTLE $$$ COMPARED TO BUYING ANOTHER VG30E!***

This is most of what you need to do to perform swap of a VG33E into a Z31 with a VG30E/T.

***Replace Non Turbo Z31 parts with items from the previous section as needed.

The easier way:
You need a VG33E (Pathfinder generally)

Z31 Oil Pan
Z31 Oil Pump
Z31 Oil Pick up Tube
Z31 Crank/Bearings
Z31 Crank Pulleys
Z31 Water Pump

VG33 Thermostat Housing
(Z31 doens't fit due to some material you may be able to grind away, VG33 will be angled different so you either adjust the hose routing or grind for the Z31 Dist.)

Z31 Timing Gear
Z31 Timing Belt

Z31 Heads
Z31 Distributor
(You can use the VG33 heads but you need the Z31 distributor which will need some grinding to fit the VG33 heads flush. You will see why if you decide to try. Not a big deal.)

Z31 Flywheel
Z31 Starter

Pretty strait forward. If you are replacing the seals on your leaky 20+ year old engine this stuff shouldn't take much longer to swap over.

There are other ways to do the swap, some require basic fabrication, but I think this is the easiest if you already have a VG30E/T and want to swap a VG33.

From this point you add in all the turbo parts, upgrade your clutch and anything else that floats your boat and you are automatically faster than any stock Z31 Turbo around (or NA Z32) for almost the same cost of JY Z31 Turbo engine after you eBay your left over parts, and much less than a rebuilt motor from a retailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:49 pm 

***Reserved for Future Use***

Updated the thread to include more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:02 pm 

*(This is one of the reasons I love this Club so much. We have a wide scope of experience among our members, and it's gratifying to see how eager we are to help each other. This Club has everyone in its ranks from the lifetime professional Z mechanic to the novice, first-car owner.

The free exchange of this type of information saves the new guyz (who have clear visions of what they want for their Z) TONS of expense and mistakes. THANK YOU ALL for this kind of camaraderie. Your collective willingness to share from your experiences and to ask for the information you need are what make this Forum as valuable as it is, and make this Club fun and rewarding for each of us).

Frank T
MbrshpDir