Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New member from Milford
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 pm 

Hi,

Mark from Milford here. I've always loved Z's, had 3 in the 80s/90s. A few years ago I "semi" retired and started restoring cars. I'm elbow deep in a very, very rusty 1971 Series 1 240Z. 2 straight months of cutting, shaping and welding sheet metal! Next month it'll be ready for paint. While I'm planning to keep it "stock" I look forward to seeing other members cars to get some ideas for a tire/wheel package and suspension set up. See you soon!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:44 pm 

Hi Mark, and welcome aboard! We've seen your name appearing at the bottom of our Forums page as our Newest Member, and wondered when we might hear from you. The news you bring makes it worth the wait. Another 1971 car is very welcome here!

You could not have choZen a better time to restore a 1971 240z. The market has gone crazy during this calendar year and all Zs have increased in value, but the 1971 cars are very highly sought after.

During the 1971 production run, Datsun made more than 35,000 240Zs. The first few months of them were visibly indistinguishable from the 1970 cars. After about Jan/Feb '71 the cars began having subtlety recognizable differences from the 1970 "model year" (Datsun never held to that concept and never used that term. it's easier for Americans to think in terms of "production years").

The steering wheel and seats became slightly different. The B pillar "wings" ("240Z") gave way to a side vent. The rear hatch lost the twin horizontal vents beneath the hatch glass. The rear hatch defroster changed from vertical to horizontal. A few new electrical options became available, changing the wiring and some electrical components. Air conditioning was offered. A headlamp Zig switch was made part of the hi/low beam switch so you could 'salute' other deserving sportscars on the road. The radio began offering AM/FM band. The windscreen wipers began offering an intermittent "mist" setting, rather than just hi and low. At some point in 1971 the jack and tool compartment behind the seats gave way to two hidden trapdoor wells in the cargo deck itself (hidden under the carpet), which could exactly fit a small bag of ice and 4 beer cans. 8)

As the 1971 production year advanced, the cars gained structural supports which the 1970 cars lacked. That added a few hundred pounds to the weight but made the 1971 cars far more sturdy and more fun to drive. And at some point in the spring/early summer of 1971 they swapped the 9:1 compression E-31 cylinder heads to the 8.8:1 compression E-88 heads, sacrificing a few horses.

The electrical systems seem to have changed more during the 1971 year than at any other time for the S-30 cars. In fact, switches and electrical components made during some months of 1971 are incompatible with earlier or later month 1971 cars, and completely incompatible with other year 240Zs. So when you get around to ordering electrical stuff for your 1971 (Including wiring harnesses), be sure to include your car's VIN and month of manufacture.

A confusing phenomenon for the 1970/71 cars is that as the calendar year changed, dealers and customers had the option of chooZing which year they wanted their new purchase to be titled as. Accordingly, some 1970 cars have lived life titled as 1971 cars, and vice-versa. They don't seem to have ever repeated that mistake again.

Since you already owned a couple Zs in the past, I suspect you might probably already know these things; I mean no offense if you already do.

I would like to introduce you to one of our stellar members, Johnny Z, who drives an immaculate 1971 car which he bought new back in the day. You should endeavor to see John's car before the Zeason ends, to inspire you as you work on your car over the winter. If I can ever find an hour to change out the fuel pump on my 1970 car, I might join John to meet you.

John, say hello to Mark!
Mark, John.

Frank T

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:01 am 

Hi Mark!

Glad to see another 71Z member join the club! :D As Frank mentioned , I have owned my 71 since day 1 and have enjoyed it every day since. I too have done much work on the car over the years and would be willing to show you the car anytime it may be convenient for us to meet. I also have lots of resto pictures to share with you. You can send me a private message to arrange a meeting if you like. I live in the area. You may also want to connect with SurferD who is working on a similar car like you are and also lives near by.

Regards,

Attachments:
71Z at Middlebury .jpg
71Z at Middlebury .jpg [ 289.03 KiB | Viewed 7645 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 am 

Is photography your profession John, or rocketry? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:17 am 

Ha! :lol:
Actually brain surgery is as I once slept in a Holiday Inn!

Picture in my preview was oriented correctly. Houston, we have a problem. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:38 am 

Wow! I could not have asked for a warmer welcome. You guys are awesome!...(remember that from the 80's ad campaign). Please forgive my delay, as I rarely spend time on my computer (other than the daily ordering of parts, materials, etc.). I would LOVE to see your cars! I'm in the studio making commercials most mornings but free most afternoons. I'm coming from Pond St, near the green in Milford, just let me know when and where and I'll bring the Starbucks or Dunkin'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:39 pm 

Mark,

Since you are so close, I can meet you at the Dunkin on Rt 1 near Plains Road anytime. If the weather is good I'll bring the Z along with some pics I have of my Z's restoration in 2002. Just let me know when and bring a mask. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:57 pm 

Mask??? I don't thing think you look THAT bad John. LOL. Definitely best to be safe during these times. Stay well.

Howie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:50 am 

Thanks John, you're very gracious! it should clear up as soon as later today and be nice this weekend...so, it's your call. This weekend, next week, I'm available whenever it's good for you. I'll gladly wait for good weather so you could bring the Z! I would love to see how the factory built it. I'm currently "shaping" the rear quarters so a visual template would be a big help. (I'm using internet photos now). The quarters, frame rails, floors, lower doors, fenders, etc. were badly rusted but now have all new sheet metal! I want to use as little filler as possible, so hammering metal into the original form is crucial ..... being able to see a "model" car would be fantastic! My cell is 203 996 5978 if you care to text when it clears up. If you'd like to see my project, I'm right next to Milford Boat Works on the harbor. 42 Pond St.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 am 

["......so hammering metal into the original form is crucial ...."] :shock: WOW.
You might actually be building your own Z car!
There are replacement fenders, doors, floor pans and frame rail kits available if your family gets tired of hearing all that hammering. In fact, the owner of Big Dog frame rails is our member and your new Z-Brother.

I would love to see this project, if I could invite myself?

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:12 am 

Sounds good Mark :thumbs_up: .

I'll text you my contact info and perhaps we can get together and see your project next week. The weather should be better mid week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am 

Hello Mark and WELCOME! I would like to suggest, for your security and safety, that you not post any personal information on the message board since it can be viewed by anyone with a computer. Instead, I suggest clicking the "PM" (Private Message) button that's located in the bottom left corner of the conversation/message box. A new message board will open so you can message that individual member without anyone else seeing it. Good luck with the build.

Frank told me this years ago. Right Frank? :shock: :roll: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 am 

Frank, you're welcome to visit anytime! Howard, thanks for the tip. John, I'll text or call you when the weather clears. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:59 pm 

Well yeah Howie, but you were giving away your social security, bank and savings account numbers, your teenaged daughter's private phone and where you hid the key to your garage.

Somebody had to save you. 8)

Thanks Dave ~ I just hope you get to meet as many of these guyZ as possible. They are all characters and some of the very best friends you will ever hope to make. We have a long-standing Club rule that we never allow drugs or alcohol in any of our meetings or events (this is a family Club and we want people to be able to relax and feel safe about involving their kids, wives, girlfriends, etc), so how you meet our members is how they really are, unhampered by additives.
Plain craZy is ok with us, as long as no people or Z cars get hurt in the process.

I would love to be there when you met John, Howie, Big Al and Paul, Gary T and about 6 others. Just plain funny, no stimulants needed.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 pm 

Any thoughts on color? It was originally Safari Gold, is it important to keep the original for resale value or does it really matter? I am leaning towards silver, but don't want to learn later that it cost me 20k for changing color when I sell it. Thanks!