Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Paint color choices...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:04 pm 

Hi,

I'm getting ready to order paint for my restored Z. It's a '71 and has been totally stripped to bare metal, so a color change isn't a problem. This is my 7th restoration (2 MG's, TR6, Lexus SC300, BMW 3, Yukon) and I tend to sell them after I drive them for months until they're all "shaken down". I'm trying to keep it as original as possible, because I think it's a pretty early car. The original is Harvest Gold. I guess it looks as "good" as the orange or lime green offered that year... (I guess folks really did a lot of acid in the 70's). If I were to keep it, I would lean towards the silver offered that year. I know it's not a '50's Ferrari, but will it be worth more if keep it all original? Thoughts? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:52 pm 

Hi Mark!

Welcome to the club. As an original owner of a '71 240Z in Silver I can only offer my "unprofessional" opinion on this but if you are restoring the car to original or near original specs, then I would say keeping to the original paint scheme could help with the cars ultimate resale value. It is especially true if you have a numbers matching car (engine and body). If you plan to "resto mod" the car, then I would say "anything goes".

I am still getting over the fact that an unmolested '71 Z with only 22K miles that I personally checked out recently sold on BAT for $310K :shock: Of course this was a pristine "out of the box" example of a bone stock 240Z. It seems that the early Z cars that are kept close to stock condition are getting the most money.

Are you planning on painting your car yourself? If not, we know an expert painter in the area that has painted a number of our club members cars including mine back in 2002. Here is a recent picture.

Good luck on your project!

Attachments:
John's Z -01.jpg
John's Z -01.jpg [ 446.24 KiB | Viewed 3366 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:39 pm 

I agree with John again. Original color might not be vital to you personally, but if you intend to sell the car it will be to someone who will want it both as an investment piece (finally true for the S30 series 240-Zs) and as a showcar. Improper aftermarket color deducts points at any Concours d'Elegance, ultimately making the car worth less than if you had painted it correctly. For resale purposes even bad condition correct paint beats an outstanding paint job in the wrong color.