Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:19 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 pm 

If you're building this car to resell it, you absolutely want to keep it the original color. There are some buyers who are fanatical about that and a different color could really reduce the cash value of your sale, altho I doubt it would be as much as $20k.

Cars are only original once. Beyond that, 'perfectly restored like original' brings the next-highest money. Any modifications you make create a "custom car". that cuts your audience in half; 1/2 will love what you did and the other half will hate you for it.

Personally, I would like it if you fell in love with your car and painted it to suit yrslf, then kept and drove it as long as you could. For most of us, the pure enjoyment of driving these wonderful Zs outweighs the money we could get from selling them. The attention you get on the road from smiling and applauding Boomers and Ricers, and the camaraderie among the classic Z owner families just make life a whole lot better. We're all pretty much Z-addicts in here.

BUT, if you bought this car as an investment, you simply could not have choZen a better time to do that. Now that the 240Zs are 50 years old they have officially reached Classic status, and now even rate their own Concours d'Elegance. Prices for all 240Z S-30 cars have gone ballistic just this year, with the all-time high-water mark of a pristine, all-original local car selling at auction for $320,000 this past spring.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:05 pm 

So, Frank, that means with inflation your Z baby is now worth a million two. :shock: 8) :) :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:18 pm 

It's only up to $1,000,150 this year Howie.
When it turns 51 years old next April I will begin asking $1,000,200

[*So Mark doesn't think we're completely craZy; I display a FOR SALE sign on my 1970 240Z which draws people to the car. The small print shows a $1,000,005 price tag and the smaller print reads, "that's right ~ I wouldn't sell my 240z for a million bucks". After a year or so I began adjusting for inflation. My modified Z is actually valued at $50,000 but I have no intention of selling it. There was a time back in the '70s when I thought I wanted to be buried in it, but that's not legal in most states, and it would be a tremendous waste of a good Z].

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:51 pm 

Frank T wrote:
[*So Mark doesn't think we're completely craZy; I display a FOR SALE sign on my 1970 240Z which draws people to the car. The small print shows a $1,000,005 price tag and the smaller print reads, "that's right ~ I wouldn't sell my 240z for a million bucks". After a year or so I began adjusting for inflation. My modified Z is actually valued at $50,000 but I have no intention of selling it. There was a time back in the '70s when I thought I wanted to be buried in it, but that's not legal in most states, and it would be a tremendous waste of a good Z].

Frank

I too, would never sell the car.
So, tell me Frank, have all the upgraded mods eliminated the need for those eye drops? LOL. Good memories. :mrgreen: 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:29 am 

So Mark, were you able to get together with any Clubbies today?
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:42 am 

Thanks for the feedback....very helpful. I had the honor of meeting John and Jim who were very generous with their time and wisdom. John stayed for hours and provided invaluable info, including decoding my VIN, showing I have a 1970, not a 1971 Z. Groucho said "I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member", I say "I'm not sure if I'm worthy of a club with such fine people". Thanks again for all your help. Please feel free to visit anytime.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:23 am 

Had a great afternoon with you Mark! Your project is coming along well. As your project develops, I'm sure you will need some additional references. As discussed, you should definitely use the attached link which has a lot of information that you may need as provided by Carl Beck. I suggest you look up some of the technical articles Carl as provided, specifically the model year, VIN info and cylinder head info.

http://www.zhome.com/

As always, feel free to contact any of us. We all love to see these classic Z's get back on the road again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 am 

I JUST emailed him! I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for ALL your help and support!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:14 pm 

Mannnnn, I love this Club. :thumbs_up: 8) :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:16 pm 

Mark,

As a follow-up to Jim and my visit with you regarding your Pace Setter exhaust header, I would check with them to ensure this unit fits your cylinder head. Since your head has "square" exhaust ports and the header has round ones, I suspect this header is not correct for your application. I would suggest as one option going to MotorSport in CA. They specialize in Z cars and I have had good luck with the MSA header I bought from them many years ago. I looked up one that should fit your car and provided the link below in case you are interested.

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD ... 9c/15-6012

I never got to see the carburetors you plan to install to make sure they will fit. We should check those out as well. The air filter you showed me does not appear to be from a 240Z. It may be from a 260Z I don't have a picture of one to check but maybe someone else viewing this can post a picture for you.

Good luck on your project and let us know how it's progressing.

Regards,

John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 pm 

Thanks, John. I found my original air cleaner in one of the boxes! 1/2 of it anyway...the important half that mates to the carbs. I found a guy in Mass that is cleaning out his supply of parts and has wheels, a fuel tank and other parts I'll need so I'll be taking a trip north soon. I'm about a week from primer if all goes well. Keep in touch!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:35 pm 

Wow! You sure must be making some progress. :thumbs_up:

Along with the other club members I would like see your restoration progressing. Just post your progress and include some pictures (thumbnails work best) if you can. We LOVE pictures! Again, feel free to contact me anytime if I can help or post your questions so that you can get other inputs as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:34 am 

You know I have pics, lots of pics! How can I post them and whats the best way to find parts? Re assembly probably starts next month!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:32 pm 

To share pictures:

1. Tap "Post Reply" or "New Topic"
2. Add some text
3. BENEATH the text box, find and press "ChooZe file" button. Your downloads will appear.
4. Select the folder your pictures are in (Downloads, Desktop, Photos, etc)
5. Find the picture you want to show us and press SELECT. You can then add specific text for that photo.
6. Repeat to add more photos.
7. Finally, press SUBMIT once. Wait for a long time. Don't press again or you'll get double photos. There will be no indication anything is happening until suddenly your screen says you have been successfully downloaded, or else your picture was too big. Sometimes this website makes up other excuses why you can't show your pictures, but we'll handle them if they come.

HINT: When you first view your pictures in your own computer library, try to make them the smallest size possible. Otherwise, they come out the size of roadmaps.

I think that's right. Try it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:47 pm 

Mark,

I assume you have the ability to download some of your pics to your computer and that you are using your computer, rather than your smart phone to log onto this website. If you are using a computer, you can send a message under the appropriate form topics after logging in. Then you can attach a picture to the message by scrolling down from your message to the "upload attachment" field, move over to the first window and select "choose file" to browse and select pics from your computer files. Select the picture you want to attach and then scroll over to the next window and select "add the file". You can add more than one picture in your message but make sure you "resize" large picture files to thumbnail size to reduce the of file as there is only a 2MB size limit on this website. You must do this using your picture or photo app on your computer prior to selecting it to be attached in your message. At least this works for me anyway.

If you are looking for parts, both Vinny Bedini and "Paul" in Rhode island are good sources for used Z parts. Here are a few other sources for new and reconditioned parts that I have used:

Motorsport Auto in Irvine CA - http://www.zparts.com
Z Therapy, Salem OR, - sales@ztherapy.com Great for SU carburetor parts and reconditioning
Advanced Distributors, Shakopee MN - Great for reconditioning vintage distributors

If you are in need of specific parts, post your inquiry in the proper topic category and I am sure you will get help from a number of members.
As I was about to send this, I see Frank T just provided similar information regarding attaching pictures.
Cheers!