Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Hi from RI!
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:14 pm 

Hello! I actually met a few members during the May 21st ZCCNE Sunday Rally through RI and CT however; I'll post up a quick little intro and the current rides and projects on my list :D
My name is Linsey and I currently reside in North Providence, RI however; you can usually find me driving around North Kingstown or Coventry, RI.
I have only owned my current Z for 2 years after accidentally purchasing a lemon 1987 300zx (but we don't talk about that one). I purchased my current Z from Bristol, CT and it needed/still needs bit of some TLC. It's been back on the road for a bit over a year now and is currently awaiting a turbo swap and new drive-train from a parts car. I also recently purchased a 50th Anniversary Z31 from Burlington, Mass back in March after wanting one and it is currently being slowly restored. If I'm not driving the Nissan, you can usually spot me driving my little grey Civic that's been upgraded suspension wise.

Quick story!
I never actually had any family members own a Datsun/Nissan vehicle while growing up so I wasn't truly surrounded by them. My folks mostly owned Honda, Chevy, Ford and Dodge. However; there was always a white Z31 parked in a driveway in Greenville, RI that always grabbed my attention as a kid. I had no idea what the car was besides "It looked cool" and I really wanted one. (Funny enough, the same car I used to see when I was little was still around and even was for sale last summer).
I forgot about the unknown white car for awhile, but I still saw it now and again when driving down Smith Ave across from the Greenville Inn. It wasn't until I was listening to some New Synth pop on the internet that the Z31 popped up in a music video, featuring its crazy digital cluster and montages of it driving that my memory clicked and I knew I needed to save up and buy one and so that's exactly what I did.
I never really thought I'd enjoy the cars as much as I do, honestly didn't even expect it to get it road worthy again after being told it "wasn't worth it".

I'm still very new to Z cars, but I've learned more than I thought in the past year or two than I ever have. I'm also still really new to working on cars so I will have plenty of questions in the future! For now here are some photos of the Z(s) and I hope to go to more events down the road :)

My 1986 2+2 N/A Automatic. The"main" Z that I drive around in. AKA: Betty

The 1984 2+0 50th AE 5speed and the 1984 Turbo Automatic parts car. AKA: Ann and Rusty

I attend a few local RI meets on Mondays and Thursdays and a few car shows, mainly the Fort Adams show in Newport and Japanese Auto Day in Brookline, Ma. so maybe I'll see some folks there!
Anyways, thanks for inviting me to the forum and site :D

Post subject: Re: Hi from RI!
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 pm 

Welcome Linsey. It's always nice to see another Z31 in the club. Not having all of the knowledge and skills that you would like is not mandatory since there are plenty of members that are willing to fill in the knowledge gaps and give instructions. The best advice I can give you would be for you to purchase a FSM (Factory Service Manual) for your particular year car. I use mine constantly.

Once again.... welcome!

Howard J

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:28 am 

Welcome, Linsey, very good to hear from you. Great that you've found a new fascination with the Z; they are factually the world's best-selling sports/GT cars. No other sports cars in automotive history have sold so many units in so short a time.

I don't think you'll have much trouble finding technical help among our members, especially if you agree to trade their advice for your own advice about how to post perfect photographs onto this new website. :lol: ! You have two great cars and you'll learn things from Rusty you won't learn from the other two.

Now, let me warn you about something you won't want to hear. You're in for serious trouble with Betty. Prepare yourself.

Anybody in this Club will swear to you a Z car is not just a machine. It actually displays some kind of spirit which it shares with you. It bonds with you and becomes a part of your daily life and demands lots of your personal attention and devotion. It's almost like having a girlfriend. I know that sounds whacky but don't take my word for it; ask other Z owners.

My point is, just like your girlfriend, Zs actually get jealous. As long as Betty remains your daily driver and gets all of your money and seat-time, she will remain happy and functional. As soon as you get Ann roadworthy and start sharing your time and money driving her, Betty will go wild on you. Wait and see. Brand-new perfectly good parts which never gave you any problem will fail without warning. Noises you never heard before and can't pinpoint will suddenly appear for no reason. Little electrical glitches will suddenly pop up and be untraceable. Occasionally, for absolutely no reason, Betty will refuse to start a couple times a week. Your clock will start and stop whenever it wants, etc.

I know, I know; I sound like the prophet Elijah in Moby Dick, warning Captain Ahab's crew of their doom. But mark my words. This is a true phenomenon. We who own Zs for years have suffered thru this inexplicable curse.

When you're totally frustrated and can't fix the nagging little complaints Betty develops, park Ann and put a For Sale sign on her. Betty will snap right back to her old happy self.

Frank T

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:30 pm 

Gee wiz Frank!! :shock: Are you trying to scare the bejesus out of a new member with your scary stories? Lol. :P . Shouldn't you have waited until you at least met Linsey ? :lol: Sorry about that Linsey. :roll: :thumbs_up: He's really a very knowledgeable person 8) :mrgreen: and not as scary as some of his stories.

Howard J

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:45 am 

:lol:
Haha! Wait until he hears my Ghost-Z stories! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:13 am 

Haha! No no it's alright, I'm not too scared yet :lol:! I will say, I've already sworn this car has an attitude of its own, especially when I rather drive my daily around during the rain...and forget it when I give the Civic attention.
I hope I won't have any issues from Betty once I get the AE back on the road as the AE came chock full of spare N/A parts, most of which have found a new home on Betty :P (I joke and call that a peace offering). Though she did blow the radio fuse the day before I picked up the AE so perhaps it's a forewarning. I will say though, over all, the car really hasn't been terrible. I did have my alternator belt snap going 70mph on the highway and she got me home safe and sound on a cold night. Car even sat for a day and started right up no problem so I could get the belts all set (could have ended much much worse :shock:). I'd like to think Betty is happy I took it in and helped revive it a bit and get it back on the road. Was in some real rough shape maintenance wise when I bought it. Especially, too, because I doubt she ever got went to any shows and other Z meets during her lifetime before I grabbed her :lol:

But! I am really excited to learn more from all 3 of these cars, especially caring for a somewhat older vehicle and maintaining it. Plus, like Frank mentioned, the character and soul of an older car can't quite be matched by more modern ones. I love my Civic but it doesn't quite have the charm (even after the little bit of work put into it).
I do actually have a copy of the FSM in .PDF format, too! But a hard copy would be much easier as trying to look at it on my phone while working on the car. That has almost turned into my phone getting sucked down into the engine bay. I am happy to add 2 more Z31s to the club and hopefully I can eventually take the 50th and the 2+2 to more events in the future. Also glad to be another lady member, too!

You should also tell me about your Ghost Z stories sometime when you can! I'd love to hear them :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:12 pm 

Frank T wrote:
:lol:

Frank - "Also glad to be another lady ( :oops: ) member, too!" :thumbs_up: :lol: Always a pleasure to converse with another 300ZX (Z31) enthusiast regardless of gender. I L..O..V..E.. driving my Z.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 pm 

Ahhhh, LINSEY, not "LINDSEY", as in L. Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac!
Duhhh. Sorry. :oops:
Even more gooder that you're a girl. We have several female gear heads in the Club and they learn quicker than the men do, and with fewer stitches. :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:58 pm 

HowardJ wrote:
Frank T wrote:

Frank - "Also glad to be another lady ( :oops: ) member, too!" :thumbs_up: :lol: Always a pleasure to converse with another 300ZX (Z31) enthusiast regardless of gender. I L..O..V..E.. driving my Z.

Oh no, gosh, It's no worries at all, trust me, I get called "Dude" and "Bro" by other car friends so it's not a problem :lol:! But yes! I really have taken a huge love to all of the Z cars, even with my die hard love for the Z31s :mrgreen: .
Same, too! I try and drive her as much as I possibly can. I love driving the car, really relaxing, especially on a nice summer night with the tops off and cruising on the highway :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:56 pm 

T-Tops Off is the ONLY way to fly! (down the road). :lol: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Just remember the sunscreen or a hat with a chin strip. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:15 pm 

Well, we all met Linsey when she brought her ZX to Thompson Motor Speedway with us and threw it around the track like a pro. She loved it and said she wanted to spend more time with the Club.

NOW, we have a year-end picnic at Ross' new home in Jamestown, and I'm trying to reach ZombieCakes to tell her about it. She's not "picking up" her PMs here on the website, and I don't have her email. Maybe Paul and Patty know how to reach her? They all hit it off pretty well at the Thompson outing.

Whoever knows how to reach her, please send her the link to the upcoming picnic event. She's gonna be really heartbroken if we have a picnic in her neighborhood and she doesn't get the word.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:51 am 

I sent her a message through IG so hopefully she will see it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:17 am 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:36 am 

Lindsey knows about the outing but has to work and will try to make it later in the day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 pm 

Well done, Keith. Thanks :thumbs_up: