Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Newbie from MA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 am 

Hi Everyone-

This intro on the heels of the latest announcement from Ross in a nutshell " Timing Sucks !! ". I am jumping back into the saddle of Z ownership having had a 78 280z in my earlier years before kids ( 82-92 ). I took the easier albeit not as much fun route and bought a nicer than average 78 280z Black Pearl with under 28k well documented including sticker, build sheet plus misc PW. I will be the 3rd owner each previous at 19 years each. I will be well into my 70's if I am going to maintain this 19 year ownership window. I predict it won't stay ultra low miles for very long once the snow and salt vanish from the northeast but its still a weekend driver only on extremely NICE days ............. time will tell !!

I am looking forward to meeting some of the old timers as well as other newbies on the east coast. Since I had it delivered in early December. I think I put a whopping 40-50 miles on the clock for the 4 days I had her in my possession before I had to send her off to storage with the forecast of more snow and salt to fly.

I am currently residing in between Worcester and Providence area. A few pics below none are from any of my driving experiences with her yet since that will happen in 2017. Good weather can't arrive soon enough !!!!

Dave T

Attachments:
File comment: Going to need advice on keeping her this clean !!!!
CTZCC Eng Pic.jpg
CTZCC Eng Pic.jpg [ 148.81 KiB | Viewed 9513 times ]
File comment: Pic doesn't do it justice.
CTZCC Side view.jpg
CTZCC Side view.jpg [ 116.57 KiB | Viewed 9513 times ]

Post subject: Re: Newbie from MA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:52 pm 

Welcome Dave! Glad to have you aboard. Just because we have a presidential vacancy and an unscheduled year doesn't mean any of us are going anywhere. You can't quit a Free Club so we're all stuck with each other for life, and now that includes you.

Wow, what a beautiful 280! From what I know about the rare Black Pearls, I have trouble looking at them and identifying them except by the special wheels, decal kit, outside mirrors and rear sunshade. I would have to read the 638 paint code decal on the radiator frame before I actually knew what I was looking at. Ross owns one and he knows a lot about them. I think they made fewer than 2,000 of them?

Looking fwd to meeting you and zeeing that black beauty in person. Where did you find the car and how did you find us?

Frank T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:42 pm 

Welcome Dave. Beautiful car to be proud of. I look forward to meeting you both.

Howard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:35 pm 

Hey Frank-

Found her in Texas. I was looking at Don Homuth's 78 280 BP in Oregon before I stumbled on this one. Don's is well documented on Hemming Motors. His was heavily modified with 280zx turbo block , N42 head and N42 intake manifold, stage 1 cam and the list goes on and on. He had that dialed in at 250bhp with 50 more available if you wanted to run her hot. I decided to go more the stock route not that there hasn't been a few enhancements but nothing exotic. Plus with low miles I thought that after I resolve all of the "not driven enough issues" I should have a solid foundation to do what I want to do. This summer will be a shake out driving experience fingers crossed.

It wasn't like I was looking for a Black Pearl when I got the itch but those were the 2 best 78's I could locate this past fall. Maybe should have crashed a CTZCC event to see if there was any available around here. That is water over the proverbial dam at this point.

As far as finding CTZCC, I was a Bob Sharp fan back in the 80's and knew if the Z was alive somewhere it would be in CT. I hadn't looked at clubs until I purchased and was kinda surprised to see the New England Z Club kind of in hibernation status............ at least by the looks of there website. So it was CTZCC with a very active site with members having lively discussions.

Haven't read your entire story yet but love the color of your Series 1. Can't wait to check that out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:30 pm 

Hi Dave,

Welcome to CTZCC and all its great members.
I joined this club when it was the "Bob Sharp Car Club" in 2002.
The CTZCC has an awesome website and has the most active topics and members.

The Z Car Club of New England is still active. The ZCCNE web page looks like it is in hibernation, but if you open the Facebook link in the upper right, you will see some of the activity.

The ZCCNE will be having its annual planning meeting Feb. 18, 2017 and start laying out the events for 2017. We plan on updating our web site over the next few months.

The president of the ZCCNE and myself have discussed the changes in the CTZCC and we are reviewing what we can do to encompass the CTZCC members into our events. Possibly moving some events to mid MASS or Northern CT.

I will update the CTZCC members of the ZCCNE events through the CTZCC website.

I look forward to meeting you at one or more of our events in 2017.

1976 280Z ( My First Z, now parts car)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:50 pm 

Hey Dave, might you be available for some of our fun runs this year? Some of us are gathering to visit Scranton PA for Fathersday weekend and some more of us will travel to Rochester NY for their annual car show/Watkins Glen experience. Are you generally upper, middle or lower Mass? Depending on your starting location we would try to have you join up with us somewhere along the route and all travel in together.

Also, our first get together will be at Old Saybrook CT; many Rhode Islanders and Massachussians ( :shock: ) join us there if they're from the eastern part of Mass (or anywhere in RI).

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:17 pm 

Hey Frank-

Definitely will be engaging in some events. Hard to say which ones yet and it will be dependent on me shaking out any quirks sooner than later. Remember I am a newbie in more ways than one since I just took ownership a few months back and haven't put much seat time in her yet so to say I am a little nervous of going on a 500-1000 mile trip is an understatement. I may need the first half of the driving season to get to know her a bit if you know what I mean. May stay more local to start then push it out a bit as the seasons change and issues detected and resolved. The last owner had her for 19 years and put on < 9k. I am anticipating issues but I hope I am being overly cautious and a nervous nelley for nothing. On the other hand I would rather be overly cautious than high risk...............

I am in lower Mass. 30 mins to Worcester / Mass Pike and 30 mins to Providence / I-95. Smack dab in the middle in the town of Uxbridge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:49 pm 

OK, good. It's wiZe for you to make larger and larger circles around your home until you are confident nothing will fall of and strand you. And remember, you don't have to drive a Z to every event. Many of us showed up in our Ford Exploders for a long time before our Zs were roadworthy. It would just be good to meet you and enjoy the events.

In fact, it would be good to have a follow-up support truck with us in case any parts fall off of us and strand us! :lol: Feel free to join us in any vehicle you feel confident with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 pm 

Hi Dave! Welcome to the club. Awesome Z, and a great find BTW.

You're right, spring can't come soon enough!

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:51 pm 

Beautiful Z Dave! Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing you and the car soon.