Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: New member from PA!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:53 am 

Thnx. How old is your radiator? My stock unit lasted precisely 10 years before falling apart like a Christmas tree shedding all its needles at once. Happily, when it blew apart on the highway I coasted into the first available parking lot, which happened to be a very good independent radiator shop! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:10 pm 

Wow, that was fortunate for you! What did you have done? Core upgrade, or new radiator?

I replaced mine with a stock replacement unit back in 1999 or 2000. Before I installed the engine I flushed it really well in both directions, then pressure tested it outside of the car, it seems fine. No leaks and the temp is fine, except for idling too long in the summer heat..... Then the temp creeps up.

In my growing Pile of parts to install this spring, I have a new fan clutch and I'm on the lookout for a fan shroud if you know of any. :lol: I think those two items will do the trick. Vinni suggested a 160 degree t-stat in addition so I'm planning on installing one of those as well.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:05 am 

My core was too far gone to repair so I needed a replacement. Fortunately Datsun was bright enough to release all the 1970 cars with oversized radiator shells, so a 4-row copper core just dropped right in there. They sprayed the whole thing black so it didn't look like anything special at first glance. It never overheated again (altho this new engine does require me to keep some air flowing thru the grille). I sold the car in the mid-'80s and before I found it and bought it back again 22yrs later, it had been owned by at least 4 unkind people who stripped it of everything special (mirrors, exhaust, mag wheels) but they didn't recognize the radiator as anything good so it was still in the car when I got it back.

I searched for a fan shroud for more than a week. Vinny found me one overnight. I think your 260 has the 7-blade plastic fan, yes?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:28 pm 

I remember reading that in your intro story (which is a good one BTW). I'm amazed you were even able to find your exact car from all those years earlier.....and still on the east coast luckily! It's a shame that people stripped it of its parts though - I prefer to save them, even when it makes more sense to part them out. Especially z cars, I have a soft spot for them!

My fan is an 8 blade plastic one, stock. I would post a picture but Photobucket is not playing nicely right now. I mentioned my need for a shroud to Vinni and he suggested buying the fiberglass one from Motorsport Auto, but the one they have is only for the Metal 7 blade fan which is a smaller diameter. The shroud doesn't look like it could be trimmed to fit as there isn't really any excess material around the fan opening - I'd hate to blow $75 on it and have it not work out.

Ideally I'm hoping someone may have one in a parts stash or on a parts car they have. I also considered fabricating my own, which I will do if all else fails. I'd prefer to find a plastic one over making a sheetmetal one though, simply for the weight reduction.

Also Frank, if you wanted to post a current picture or two of your Z here in my thread I wouldn't be offended. :roll:

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:43 pm 

I actually spoke with Vinny this week (one of those engine projects you saw is mine) and we discussed your fan shroud issue. He doesn't have one on hand but you should bear the following in mind:

There are different size radiators used among the 240/60/80 cars, with the 240 *apparently* being the "shortest" one. Some (maybe all?) radiators for later cars (after 240) are taller and extend farther down the front of the car. You can actually see the bottom of some Z radiators while looking at the front of some Zs. Therefore, not all later radiators will fit into the earlier cars and even if you do find a radiator which fits, the bolt holes don't necessarily line up. Accordingly, any shroud you find will have to be one built for the radiator you're using.

Bryan Little relates an incident when he bought a new shroud for his late-70 car but couldn't use it because if he placed it over the fan blades, the bolt holes didn't match the frame. Conversely, if he placed the shroud bolt holes over the support frame holes, the fan hole interfered with the fan blades.

Again, I don't know if the 260 was closer to the 240 or to the 280 in this department, but you should arm yrslf with some simple measurements before shopping for a fan shroud, including the measured placement of the bolt holes on the radiator support frame.

I am unable to submit photos on this new website, for some reason. The few that it accepts come out the size of roadmaps, and most of them simply get rejected, so thanks anyway, I won't be posting any pictures of my car until further notice. Also, we must fight the impulse to "hijack" posts away from the original subjects (which is your car and your membership). The Club Webmaster (Jim H) wiZely provided categories for just about any subject we might wish to comment about, and that makes it much easier to find a certain conversation years later. So thanks again for the invite, but pics of my car don't belong in your Intro.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:45 pm 

You are welcome Frank. I can certainly respect that. And yes, I noticed some issues trying to upload photos into the members rides area. I figured it was due to file size but haven't figured tried again.

Thank you for the information about the fan shroud too. I will bear that in mind when shopping for one.

So which engine project is yours? I'm guessing it's for not for your Z as it sounds like you already have a recently built engine in there. I

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:44 pm 

Vinny has my original 240 engine, which had been rebuilt once before (about 25yrs ago) by a previous owner, but had begun smoking a bit. We figured it was valve guide seals, but as long as we needed to pull the head anyway, we agreed to rebuild it all again, this time with Bedini Genie craftsmanship. He's taking his time with it and building it at his leisure, since I am currently running the 2.8L trick engine he built for me. My old L24 is already .10" over, so this time we'll open it out to a true 2.5L.

BTW, while this news might be too late for your rebuild, I learned that the 12 valve guide seals for the Ford 4.0L V-6 engine rebuild kit (Explorers, etc) are an exact match for the 12 valve guide seals on the L-series engine rebuild kit, AND they are made of tougher material AND they are about $60 cheaper. 8)

Just sayin'.

Last edited by Frank T on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:45 am 

Too late for me on that, but I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever doing another one.

So is your plan to swap your original engine back in when it's complete, or just stashing it for now? What becomes of the 2.8? And how large of an overbore takes it to 2.5?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:22 pm 

Sorry, somehow missed your last post. Got distracted with the recent Club news and all.

I will definitely return the original L24 engine to the car to keep it as "little modified" as possible. The L28 will become a spare or I'll sell it, but I want to Dyno the car with the L28 in it first. Depending on what I might be able to arrange on an upcoming alternative carb deal, I might just sell the Webers, too. We'll see.

The L24 "2.4L" engine was actually only 2393cc, not a true 2400. A 0.10" overbore takes it out to 2406 and second rebore (0.20") brings it up to almost a true 2.6L.

Your engine became a 2.6L by stroking a stock 2.4L. I'm approaching it from the opposite direction, boring it to 2.6 rather than stroking it to that size. I will trick my E31 head while we have it off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 pm 

No problem Frank, I appreciate the reply.

That sounds like a good plan. I'd be curious to see what kind of power that 2.8l is putting down, they sound glorious through a set of Weber's! I love the way those look and sound.... maybe someday. My budget has been stretched pretty far with the rehab I've done over the last few years though, and my SUs work really great.

I think it's really cool that you are having Vinny redo your original engine and putting it back in there. It'll finally be all back together, I'll bet Vinny will have that thing running great!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:11 pm 

Jay, what kind of manuals were you able to find for the 260?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm 

There was a Chilton's in it when I took possession of the car. Shortly after I bought a Haynes manual as well. To be honest I haven't really used either of them, although I like to have the reference handy anyway. These are simple vehicles to work on.

I really like the Z Therapy SU tuning video however, that was very helpful for me.

Jay